ABF | ArcBest reports 1Q loss... Shares down $5.10 to $21.15

Were things going better with him around?

My opinion is that things have been headed downhill for a long time.

He was the lead man and steering wheel at the beginning of the downhill economic bobsled race. ..

All the other top management people did the pushing, and dove into the sled behind him...

Now they're wondering how to get out.....

He was the lead man and steering wheel at the beginning of the downhill economic bobsled race. ..

All the other top management people did the pushing, and dove into the sled behind him...

Now they're wondering how to get out.....
That...was my opinion as well. Apparently he thought otherwise.

Hey,.......when you're driving the economic "bobsled" downhill at 93.7 mph,...........you ain't got time to look over your shoulder to find out how many of your corporate "team" have bailed out on you.........

I can only hope Mark McMinn can pull the company up out of the nosedive. He's a pretty good guy, in my opinion, ....and he's a long-term ABF employee. I know for a fact, that he got carbon black on his shirt from walking on our dock......

ABF did well for decades by promoting from within, and putting people who understood how we do things in management positions.......Why,....in the name of Beelzebub,.......someone had the "corporate brain hemorrhage" to decide on a whim to change what always worked, and bring in, with brass bands and circus elephants,....a complete outsider to.....uhh......"manage" our company,..........is beyond the comprehension of this poor, dumb truck driver. Must be what they teach in corporate college,............If something works well, hurry up and change it before other companies find out......

And,......When I say "nosedive",......I don't mean the imminent demise of ABF. I mean the destruction of morale and ethical treatment of the employees. Mr. Moss' philosophy,.....in my opinion,.....was to regard the Labor force as an impediment to profits,....... a (for now) necessary "evil" that must be tolerated by management until they figure out a way to subcontract or automate their way out of needing a standing workforce. Lie to them.....( YRC's going to Buy us!)...........insult them......( Wear these mandatory uniforms made in Nicaragua and delivered by the most virulent anti-Union company in America . To Heck with your contract!)........ cheat them.....( No Vacation For You!)...... Hey,.....the old ones will retire faster, and we can start "indoctrinating" the new-hire replacements......They're easier to cheat!

No,.....ABF ain't going broke,...........but if they continue to "discount" their employees,.....what makes ABF unique will disappear, and ABF will become just another discount carrier in the race to the bottom........

And,..........I'm NOT EVEN going to go to the corporate....."philosophy".......of the ArcBest Overlords..........Good Grief! I'd need a professional "honeydipper" to get to the crusty bottom of that deep pit.....

They only survive BECAUSE of ABF,............Yet THAT, would be the LAST thing they would admit........According to them, they were created out of whole cloth,.....on the Seventh day,.......and sprang into full-blown existance,
to rescue that failing undersized ABF company....

They don't "need" ABF,..........ABF "needs" them..........(......uhh-huh, uhh-huh,.........A lot of lead in the water around Fort Smith, you think?.....)

And,......When I say "nosedive",......I don't mean the imminent demise of ABF. I mean the destruction of morale and ethical treatment of the employees. Mr. Moss' philosophy,.....in my opinion,.....was to regard the Labor force as an impediment to profits,....... a (for now) necessary "evil" that must be tolerated by management until they figure out a way to subcontract or automate their way out of needing a standing workforce. Lie to them.....( YRC's going to Buy us!)...........insult them......( Wear these mandatory uniforms made in Nicaragua and delivered by the most virulent anti-Union company in America . To Heck with your contract!)........ cheat them.....( No Vacation For You!)...... Hey,.....the old ones will retire faster, and we can start "indoctrinating" the new-hire replacements......They're easier to cheat!

No,.....ABF ain't going broke,...........but if they continue to "discount" their employees,.....what makes ABF unique will disappear, and ABF will become just another discount carrier in the race to the bottom........
My morale went down starting around 2013. By the time 2015 rolled around, it literally could not have gone lower, and I quit.

Sometimes I feel like a bitter ex on this forum, simultaneously laughing at ABF's idiocy, and feeling bad that it's still continuing to not meet its potential.

This was a great company to work for when I started in 2010. I really can't believe how quickly it went downhill.