Holland | Are HMES drivers spoiled?

Griz

TB Veteran
Credits
Numerous times I've had Roadway and Yellow drivers make the statement about how good we have it Holland. My opinion as a city man is I agree with them. Could some of the labor issues we are having be because our past work rules with Holland(LACK OF) and the YRC way is more difficult to follow? Or could it be the new tractors, trailers and OT? Here lately it seems our paper work has increased and is way more important to have everything correct. I don't know, just trying to start a new topic. GRIZZ

Numerous times I've had Roadway and Yellow drivers make the statement about how good we have it Holland. My opinion as a city man is I agree with them. Could some of the labor issues we are having be because our past work rules with Holland(LACK OF) and the YRC way is more difficult to follow? Or could it be the new tractors, trailers and OT? Here lately it seems our paper work has increased and is way more important to have everything correct. I don't know, just trying to start a new topic. GRIZZ
I had a driver from Yellow tell me the other day that if they filed eight grievances the local would tell them, "I don't think we need to fight these right now". And he said that their stewards would say there was nothing they themselves could do about it. But he said if we filed eight grievances and the local said no, our stewards would fight for us themselves. I know that I have also heard the same thing from drivers at ABF in Louisville too. I told them all the same thing, that maybe it was time for them to get new stewards?

I don't know if all of this has anything to do with the whole mess at our place but who knows, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't.

The Roadway guys around Louisville don't say much, most of the time they just grunt and scratch themselves.:biglaugh:

Are HMES drivers spoiled?

Yes, yes I am. And dog gone proud of it too!!!!
They spoil me because I try to spoil them. If we all care it will make a difference, I feel our driver are happy. It isn’t like we are driving junk, and our freight is usually all skidded, what more could you ask for??

5 years ago when Roadway laid me off, I worked fro Holland for 5 months. It was a totally different atmosphere. No hassle and no one on my back every 15 minutes. I would come in at 12:30 pm, have a couple of deliveries and a couple of pick-ups. They would only call me when there was another pick-up.Those were the best LTL days of my young 10 year career. Yes, I think you guys are spoiled but in a good way. BUT, with the way YRCW hounds their companies on numbers, the corp office will micro-manage you guys out of the old way and in with our way( Yellow, Roadway ) They are already doing it to New Penn in the NE. I really enjoyed working for Holland. It showed me the grass is sometimes greener on the other side.

I don't think Holland guys are spoiled. I see their battles with the Company first hand at the Mo-Kan hearings every month. Not as many grievances as Yellow or Roadway but Holland's a lot smaller than the others.

If the Yellow guys in LOU file 9 legitimate grievances and the Local won't put them on the agenda it sounds to me like they need to elect Officers who do the will of the members. Note that I said legitimate grievances.....there's a big difference between a gripe and a grievance. Some guys think any gripe can be grieved and that's a mistake in their thinking.

Are HMES drivers spoiled?

Yes, yes I am. And dog gone proud of it too!!!!
They spoil me because I try to spoil them. If we all care it will make a difference, I feel our driver are happy. It isn’t like we are driving junk, and our freight is usually all skidded, what more could you ask for??

When I got hired, I was flat out told by the stewards "treat them the same way you want to be treated". It has worked so far. We bust our @$$e$ up here for them too.

Glad to see that Holland is not the golden child it used to be.Just the cross the t's and dot the i"s.Just remember who's calling the shots now.

Glad to see that Holland is not the golden child it used to be.Just the cross the t's and dot the i"s.Just remember who's calling the shots now.

What are you talking about?? I know and understand that we are owned by YRCW. Everyone has to perform to the numbers game; I feel Holland is doing a fairly good job at it I do not think we are being treated any different than Yellow or Roadway or even New Penn employees. Times are good, so who’s the golden child??:smilie_132:

I think the other guys(Yellow, roadway) around here are spoiled. They get frilly things like pallet jacks and two wheelers. We have to be real men and beg to use the customers equipment:)

Yea we are spoiled ,I could just see a Road Way or Yellow driver leave Sunday night and get home the next Saturday with out getting home once during the week and dropping and picking up freight and running 600 miles a night.I think they should come over to Holland and see how good we have it LMAO!

Note that I said legitimate grievances.....there's a big difference between a gripe and a grievance. Some guys think any gripe can be grieved and that's a mistake in their thinking.
Very well put stldude! Poignant to some, but very true! I'm not going to expound on that any further here, but this would definitely be a great thread in the union forum...