Holland | Are layoff's going to happen?

Keith900629

TB Lurker
Credits
Another week and another 1 day slip seat with dispatch not confident I'm going back out again this week. The insurance is great my daughter has used it and I have used it for my first kidney stone!! .34 cents for a round of antibiotics!! I'm trying to decide if it's worth staying on for the insurance. Having to tap into savings to pay bills constantly sucks.

Another week and another 1 day slip seat with dispatch not confident I'm going back out again this week. The insurance is great my daughter has used it and I have used it for my first kidney stone!! .34 cents for a round of antibiotics!! I'm trying to decide if it's worth staying on for the insurance. Having to tap into savings to pay bills constantly sucks.
I seriously doubt any other LTL can guarantee you a full week of work right now either. You are right on the insurance. For right now, it is the best out there of any LTL.

I seriously doubt any other LTL can guarantee you a full week of work right now either. You are right on the insurance. For right now, it is the best out there of any LTL.
I am actually looking at hauling gas or pulling a pneumatic for a&r transport. Both sound like more loads than drivers all of the time. The only problem insurance is lacking big time.

Here is a pisser. Holland has jobs on indeed for linehaul drivers for the Charlotte terminal.
Here's the thing, you are most likely at or toward the bottom of the road board and what you are experiencing now is how it is at Holland this time of year.
You can make as much and more during the rest of the year as you would at any other trucking company if you stay out 6 days and run. Save you're money for the slow times and enjoy being home more through the holiday season into late February early March.
Or jump ship and get a job with a more predictable schedule. Until you gain seniority it's not gonna get much better this time of year.

Should have been been a City driver , they are working everyday and a lot depends on what barn you are out of and if you are a problem child driver , as they can play games with the problem child driver's and yes all barns have them both city & line haul & office staff too............

The only way I can be considered a problem child is because I write up what is wrong with the truck in the dvir book. It seems like it is a huge inconvenience to whoever I'm turning my paperwork into but I do it to cover my ass. It drives me crazy when a truck has huge issues and someone just signs it off with no problems so the next person can deal with it.

Here is a pisser. Holland has jobs on indeed for linehaul drivers for the Charlotte terminal.
I have worked for both a union and nonunion carrier and all I can do is reinforce what others are telling you. First 6 months to a year I had weeks where I grossed less than 300$. Nonunion would not lay me off, several times I wanted to bolt. Wifey kept putting here foot down and 4 years later I ended up in a M-F 0900 bid around 50-55 hours a week and gross 75,000-80,000. About killed me first 6-12 months but in 20/20 hindsight I'm glad my beautiful wise wonderful wife had more patience than I did. Just my perspective for your and your wife's consideration. Also my state allowed me to file partial unemployment, there were a lot of hoops to jump through to get it and I only got two or three weeks because of the laws in my state, but it might be worth you looking into. Good luck!

I have worked for both a union and nonunion carrier and all I can do is reinforce what others are telling you. First 6 months to a year I had weeks where I grossed less than 300$. Nonunion would not lay me off, several times I wanted to bolt. Wifey kept putting here foot down and 4 years later I ended up in a M-F 0900 bid around 50-55 hours a week and gross 75,000-80,000. About killed me first 6-12 months but in 20/20 hindsight I'm glad my beautiful wise wonderful wife had more patience than I did. Just my perspective for your and your wife's consideration. Also my state allowed me to file partial unemployment, there were a lot of hoops to jump through to get it and I only got two or three weeks because of the laws in my state, but it might be worth you looking into. Good luck!
Too late to edit , but I should add after those first 6-12 months and before I landed the bid, I did make plenty of money. However schedule was unpredictable as far as start times but I always worked at least five days. I was extra board and often did 60+ hours per week. I moved from linehaul to city after my first 20 months.

The only way I can be considered a problem child is because I write up what is wrong with the truck in the dvir book. It seems like it is a huge inconvenience to whoever I'm turning my paperwork into but I do it to cover my ass. It drives me crazy when a truck has huge issues and someone just signs it off with no problems so the next person can deal with it.

Sounds like you have the same problem I had, shop always said the problem with my truck was the mechanism
between the seat and steering wheel.

No layoffs in Memphis. New bids up today and most early shifts are 10 hour 4 day. No three off days in a row. 18 bids to be exact. This cuts OT for senior men. Freight down 40% and still hiring.

No layoffs in Memphis. New bids up today and most early shifts are 10 hour 4 day. No three off days in a row. 18 bids to be exact. This cuts OT for senior men. Freight down 40% and still hiring.
That's insane, makes you wonder what they THINK they know is coming to maintain hiring with a decrease like that

they have been telling us at new penn , here recently, that something big is about to happen, and there will be plenty who wont like it...course the tms are not saying what that is.....we keep hireing anything that breaths also..could it be a merger of the 3 regional companys...wont matter what they called it, here at new penn we are so far from what the real new penn was...it would almost be a good thing to change the name, with the lousy execution of freight moveing we do any more!! hearing anything like that at Holland??