FedEx Freight | Are road drivers allowed to work the dock?

chitownpeddler

TB Veteran
Credits
Our new ccm said when we get fully staffed that road drivers will no longer be able to work the dock. One driver said it makes more sense to let them work since their log starts at their show up time. Our ccm replied no and that your log starts when you are dispatched. So I guess he wants you to wait on your own dime. Anyone else having this problem?

chitownpeddler said:
Our new ccm said when we get fully staffed that road drivers will no longer be able to work the dock. One driver said it makes more sense to let them work since their log starts at their show up time. Our ccm replied no and that your log starts when you are dispatched. So I guess he wants you to wait on your own dime. Anyone else having this problem?

chitownpeddler, If you show up and you're loads are not ready yet do you get paid wait time?

If you are getting paid I would think it should be logged as on duty not driving.

you get paid after 30 minutes. they argued about the logging thing but the ccm said no. Which is the first time anyone has heard of this before

As soon as it hits your show time you're on the clock so to speak and on the log.

Call HRO if any question, and if they also want you to sit off the log then call DOT for further clarification.

FM

FM is right, if your show time is 19:00 you start logging right at 19:00, even if you don't start getting delay pay until 19:30. If you don't get dispatched until 22:00 you show On Duty, Not Driving that entire time. Your CCM needs a little edu-ma-cation.

roog

Give it a week or two

They'll be turning CCMs again there. You will likely have to educate that one too. In the meantime work the dock, it'll be awhile before they fully staff that center.

We still have road drivers working the dock and our customer center is 12 years old.

chitownpeddler said:
Line drivers do what?????????????
If it isn't ready at your call time, you are on the clock in the west. What's a dock anyway?
Is that where line drivers work out? Boy, you guys in the east have all the perks.

hairbear said:
Line drivers do what?????????????
If it isn't ready at your call time, you are on the clock in the west. What's a dock anyway?
Is that where line drivers work out? Boy, you guys in the east have all the perks.

An hour on the patio works out to an extra 5k a yr, I can handle 1-2 hrs to get me out quicker and make a couple bucks while doing so, really not a big deal.:smilie_132:

FM

Like allready stated above you can punch in on your show up time if your hook's arent ready i allways ask my dispatcher how long before i'm readt but sometime's he fib's too. He tell's me shortly like 10 minute's and it's likely 20-25 minute's so now if my hook's aint ready and ther's no hook's on the counter then im punching in.

Your ccm is wrong you start logging on duty at your show up time. Depending on you checking yes or no on the dock option will determine when he has to start paying you. Also your mileage of the bid will play into this.

Our ccm replied no and that your log starts when you are dispatched.

I agree with a previous poster that your CCM is an idiot. On page 37 of the Employee Handbook it states " 'ON DUTY TIME' begins when you arrive at your specified worksite or service center......Any time that is paid is considered "on duty" even though you may not be doing actual work or driving".

DOT rules state any time you are on the premisis waiting to be dispatched is considered as On Duty Not Driving whether or not you are paid. So the short of it is that if your bid says show up at 2030 you begin logging at 2030.

:USA: