XPO | ARE SCMs Really Necessary

Now all you need is 4 extra years of schooling to be a boss. That's all fine and good untill the computer system crashes.
My SCM can not fill in for any of our FOS inbound, outbound , and dispatch. When one of them is off the position is filled by who??? Drivers.
This is exactly my point! A large majority of SCMs are significantly incompetent when it comes to filling in for an FOS, CSR, or FOM. We all learned in elementary school " Lead by Example" , but apparently in LTL this doesn't apply. Salaried wages paid out and company cars for absolute incompetence and indifference to the success of the company.

With the push to go paperless by next year? , How many people will that free up?
It's a freaking nightmare when the computer system goes down. This new handhelds were to be better than sliced bread and those dam thing crash all the time. If they want to go paperless they need to fix there outdated system they are still using and also every barn will need a stand by generator for when to power goes out.

It's a freaking nightmare when the computer system goes down. This new handhelds were to be better than sliced bread and those dam thing crash all the time. If they want to go paperless they need to fix there outdated system they are still using and also every barn will need a stand by generator for when to power goes out.
Agree 100 percent. For such a large carrier, we have too many "outages" and "updates".

Over the years I have observed managers throughout the former Con-way organization and come to realize that the benefits of their position to the organization does not seem to outweigh the company saving thousands if not millions company wide without them, I mean, take a look at what their level of involvement is to generating revenue or participating in actually actively taking a role in the operation of a service center. The internet and real-time streaming information can run the organization from one centralized location saving a unprecedented amount of costs. Currently I observe managers just doing minimal pre-shift meetings and a weekly operations meeting once a week. Other than that it's basically stair at a scorecard and hope it makes numbers for a bonus. I have witnessed many of times a shorthanded operation and the SCM takes no active role to help out (i.e. print bills, call customer appointments, answer phones, set runs up, manage labor for the day etc,) in fact it's a pre-shift meeting in the break room delaying our customer's freight even more. It was proven that service centers can run without them with the last big gathering in St; Louis. Please help me understand why waste continues?
:idunno:
We havent had one for about a month everything is fine but Im sure some but kisser thinks they are needed!

With the push to go paperless by next year? , How many people will that free up?

A bunch more CSRs. And possibly even city drivers scanning the bills into the system when they return. People used to talk about how they had already tested this idea at some terminals.

Paperless? That's funny. We heard that stuff a decade ago. But most companies audit their audits, and waste more paper than ever. Most companies have so much duplication that is written on paper that it isn't even funny.

This Jacobs is different. He will reduce cost. A bunch have already lost their jobs due to duplication.

We havent had one for about a month everything is fine but Im sure some but kisser thinks they are needed!

There needs to be a chief at some point. Eventually. Many small terminals do just fine with very little management. Most big ones continue along just fine after one gets fired or promoted. The further you are from the freight.... right ?

Drivers know their customers and routes. For us, it's Groundhog Day.

A bunch more CSRs. And possibly even city drivers scanning the bills into the system when they return. People used to talk about how they had already tested this idea at some terminals.

That's how the small terminals do it at Saia. Every city driver scans both his pickups and delivery receipts into the system on the copy machine/scanner when they get back. The scanned bills get sent to the billing office in Boise. Usually only takes about 30 min before it shows up in the system.

Then again, we aren't anywhere close to being paperless on the docks yet...

As I travel around to other locations I'm still seeing inept SCMs not participating in helping with manpower issues. Many service centers have driver pool issues and pull drivers into the office to help dispatch or cover FOS time off when TMs are available to do this. Why don't the powers that be see this? It's company wide and yet XPO continues to pay massive amounts of overtime because of the misappropriation of labor on a daily basis. Why would a terminal bring a driver in to dispatch when it's vacation season and disability/ injury absence is high? A manager can surely fill the dispatch position to relieve the driver shortage to a degree at a specific location. Can someone help me understand why this is or is this just my observation?

As I travel around to other locations I'm still seeing inept SCMs not participating in helping with manpower issues. Many service centers have driver pool issues and pull drivers into the office to help dispatch or cover FOS time off when TMs are available to do this. Why don't the powers that be see this? It's company wide and yet XPO continues to pay massive amounts of overtime because of the misappropriation of labor on a daily basis. Why would a terminal bring a driver in to dispatch when it's vacation season and disability/ injury absence is high? A manager can surely fill the dispatch position to relieve the driver shortage to a degree at a specific location. Can someone help me understand why this is or is this just my observation?

Not what I'm seeing at my barn. Our SCM always fills in for fos's who are out,( I/b, o/b, and day dispatch). Usually the time that a driver fills these slots is when they are on light duty from an injury, or in the case where we have lost multiple drivers and someone has to be put into the office seat.

Yea I don't understand that either. Can't afford to let a driver off but,can have drivers fill in for supervisors. Been like that at our barn for years. The highers to be know about this but blows it off

Iv
Not what I'm seeing at my barn. Our SCM always fills in for fos's who are out,( I/b, o/b, and day dispatch). Usually the time that a driver fills these slots is when they are on light duty from an injury, or in the case where we have lost multiple drivers and someone has to be put into the office seat.

I've had four tm's in 12 years. Some would fill in for vacations, some would not. Right now, when a fos is out, the others change their shifts to overlap and cover each other. We have not had a driver run a shift in maybe 6 months.

Well if they are like the one at my barn they, the SCM, don't know how or won't learn how to do it.

Then who will volunteer to go to the customer meeting with the sales guy to get a solid ass chewing for all their damaged freight. Who will pat the customer on their back and say, "everything is going to be ok". Been on the customer side of ltl. Loosing accounts because you don't have the materials needed to complete a contract. To much of this, and sooner than later you find yourself looking for a new gig, on both ends. Who got the big pearly nads?

[

Yeah they don't do a whole lot... just pay all the bills at their barns , hire people, fire people, challenge their supervisors to be the best that they can be, get on dsr's who need to be motivated, oversee LEAN, and VVT, begin driver training programs, fill in for their supervisors when they are sick or on vacation, pass down directives from regional managers and corporate to us...other than these few things...they don't do all that much.
You got a different one than we have, ours does none of that all I can see he does is get paid!