XPO | ARE SCMs Really Necessary

Now all you need is 4 extra years of schooling to be a boss. That's all fine and good untill the computer system crashes.
My SCM can not fill in for any of our FOS inbound, outbound , and dispatch. When one of them is off the position is filled by who??? Drivers.
Same at XGR except they make the FOS work night and day!

Every LTL carrier has a person in charge of their service centers. Some centers share a manager, depending on the region, but there's always someone in charge.

Why, you ask? Because the SCM is the front man for the center's operations on the corporate side. If the center isn't making numbers, the SCM is the one corporate blames. Why? Because it's the job of the SCM to oversee the terminal's day to day operations and ensure they're running according to corporate's mandate.

That's not a job that can be reasonably done remotely by the regional operations management. Accountability at the local level, that's the job of the SCM. You wonder why so many of them are jerks? Because they get crap every time something goes wrong, and no thanks for when things go right.
No but can and has been and is done by a well trained lead FOS our so called SCM cant even help out on dispatching let alone anything else so I respecfuly disagree with you!

No but can and has been and is done by a well trained lead FOS our so called SCM cant even help out on dispatching let alone anything else so I respecfuly disagree with you!
I never said the SCM is required to do anything except report to management. How good an SCM is, is kind of a "your mileage may vary" experience because it depends on the person and place.

I, myself, through both FedEx and Day & Ross, have had varying experiences with SCM's. My first terminal at FedEx was a satellite terminal, run by an SCM at another larger terminal who we never saw. One terminal move later, at a newly independent terminal, the SCM sent to run the place was a hardliner who was very involved with day to day operations. The guy who replaced him when he was promoted? Not so much. And that was all at what was otherwise the same place with the same people.

At my place management is 100% responsible for all of our problems. They hold no one accountable, especially themselves. They disregard company policy when it suits them. Many drivers are working 12 hour days while some work 8. They will lie right to your face and play favorites with work assignments. Next to nothing is communicated to us linedrivers, I get all of my info from they city driver I slip seat with. I have never been so disgusted and angry in my all my time with this company. In my opinion, all but a few managers and supervisors should be fired and some drivers need to pull their weight or be shown the door. Some dock workers also need to see the light. Shut up, do your job, and do it right or else. Problem is we are so short handed they are afraid to lose people and in order for us to get our service center operating right alot of people need to be let go and replaced.
From another thread--- "Culture Matters" This guy has hit the proverbial nail on the head! This is exactly what I'm seeing occurring in our region. Now, if a district manager cannot or will not address this, these problems are bigger than we all can imagine. He may be part of the problem. Employee engagement will never be achieved when the workforce feels exploited by their local management. I personally don't believe XPO's philosophy is to make the job harder or less rewarding, it's just that most if not all old management is still operating in the old Con-way model of "Do it or there's the door". Unfortunately many are running for the door. Drivers that are here work very hard and are dedicated but the appreciation is lacking and many local managers are indifferent to this. A manager I observe takes many Fridays off no matter what the personnel shortages are like. It appears to be a four day work week. My message to all SCMs is "Lead by example, jump in and play an active role in your operation, and immediately stop all the mentioned above BS", PLEASE. Let us all succeed and prosper with XPO!

From another thread--- "Culture Matters" This guy has hit the proverbial nail on the head! This is exactly what I'm seeing occurring in our region. Now, if a district manager cannot or will not address this, these problems are bigger than we all can imagine. He may be part of the problem. Employee engagement will never be achieved when the workforce feels exploited by their local management. I personally don't believe XPO's philosophy is to make the job harder or less rewarding, it's just that most if not all old management is still operating in the old Con-way model of "Do it or there's the door". Unfortunately many are running for the door. Drivers that are here work very hard and are dedicated but the appreciation is lacking and many local managers are indifferent to this. A manager I observe takes many Fridays off no matter what the personnel shortages are like. It appears to be a four day work week. My message to all SCMs is "Lead by example, jump in and play an active role in your operation, and immediately stop all the mentioned above BS", PLEASE. Let us all succeed and prosper with XPO!
I've posted it before and I'll reiterate it again... nothing has changed operationally about this outfit since Xpo Logistics took over the helm here almost a year ago. Why do I say that? Allow me to suggest a few reasons why. The only thing that I can see that has changed since 30 October 2015 is the brand name from Conway Freight to XPO Logistics,( actual re-branding of signage, uniforms, and equipment is slow but steadily progressing...that I'll concede).The cost take outs through back office duplicative attrition,(and various other cuts), has helped improve year over year EBITDA. That's all good,( I guess), but bottom line: Operationally this LTL is still being run as if it was still Conway Freight. Why? cause XPO, prior to acquiring CNW, had no experience in owning nor operating a real asset heavy trucking LTL: only running a brokerage business relative to being involved in truck transportation. I agree w/ the above posts concerning management issues w/ running our company better. Well thought out pieces on the subject by the way. My Point? It's definitely a VERY fine line for management to walk in running this ship profitably, and at the same time keeping the troops in the trenches happy. These real or perceived weaknesses between these two entities, I fear, are being exploited by 3rd party forces. Does it have to be that way???

I've posted it before and I'll reiterate it again... nothing has changed operationally about this outfit since Xpo Logistics took over the helm here almost a year ago. Why do I say that? Allow me to suggest a few reasons why. The only thing that I can see that has changed since 30 October 2015 is the brand name from Conway Freight to XPO Logistics,( actual re-branding of signage, uniforms, and equipment is slow but steadily progressing...that I'll concede).The cost take outs through back office duplicative attrition,(and various other cuts), has helped improve year over year EBITDA. That's all good,( I guess), but bottom line: Operationally this LTL is still being run as if it was still Conway Freight. Why? cause XPO, prior to acquiring CNW, had no experience in owning nor operating a real asset heavy trucking LTL: only running a brokerage business relative to being involved in truck transportation. I agree w/ the above posts concerning management issues w/ running our company better. Well thought out pieces on the subject by the way. My Point? It's definitely a VERY fine line for management to walk in running this ship profitably, and at the same time keeping the troops in the trenches happy. These real or perceived weaknesses between these two entities, I fear, are being exploited by 3rd party forces. Does it have to be that way???
Be careful what you "ask for" ( not you personally ) but those who want changes - NOW!

Take Roadway and Yellow. They operated separate until the economic downturn. Then it was kind of a shotgun wedding ( but plenty of change )

FedEx would be the model that XPO executives would probably follow when it comes to integrating as far as brands and synergies.

As we go forward I have become more and more convinced that Service Center Managers role will change dramatically ( reduced ) and you will see more and more technology.

Be careful what you "ask for" ( not you personally ) but those who want changes - NOW!

Take Roadway and Yellow. They operated separate until the economic downturn. Then it was kind of a shotgun wedding ( but plenty of change )

FedEx would be the model that XPO executives would probably follow when it comes to integrating as far as brands and synergies.

As we go forward I have become more and more convinced that Service Center Managers role will change dramatically ( reduced ) and you will see more and more technology.

Couldn't agree more. If they move more towards a FedEx model instead of trying to be OD like Con-way did, we will be much better off. XPO simply has to many offerings to be trying to compete directly with a stand alone LTL, that isn't what we are any more. Use the entire company to leverage the customer away from the competition.

Given the current environment with TM dismissals, it appears to me that Mr. Jacobs has taken notice of who and who is not actively participating. It's XPO's game now and it seems that the "Good O'le Boys" club has been seriously damaged. Still there though, but damaged. Continue on and clear the deadwood, it benefits everyone!

Given the current environment with TM dismissals, it appears to me that Mr. Jacobs has taken notice of who and who is not actively participating. It's XPO's game now and it seems that the "Good O'le Boys" club has been seriously damaged. Still there though, but damaged. Continue on and clear the deadwood, it benefits everyone!

I don't think this is about clearing deadwood any more. It's about prettying this pig up and making her ready for sale. Eliminating long tenured management reduces a cost. And if you thought the last two years were full of cutting and slashing, this year is going to be aggressively more so. The bidding war has started. Two big name, very wealthy businesses have already expressed interest. So the likely end result buyer, who ever that ends up being, will be wanting to see even better numbers than the already unrealistic and completely unreachable ones that are currently in place.

As we get nearer our next exchange of hands I am more and more convinced that this will not be benefiting any one. Or at least, none of us.

I don't think this is about clearing deadwood any more. It's about prettying this pig up and making her ready for sale. Eliminating long tenured management reduces a cost. And if you thought the last two years were full of cutting and slashing, this year is going to be aggressively more so. The bidding war has started. Two big name, very wealthy businesses have already expressed interest. So the likely end result buyer, who ever that ends up being, will be wanting to see even better numbers than the already unrealistic and completely unreachable ones that are currently in place.

As we get nearer our next exchange of hands I am more and more convinced that this will not be benefiting any one. Or at least, none of us.
It's not a coincidence that the LTL hasn't been introduced and/or integrated into the overall company of XPO Logistics.

Yes , the LTL is a part , but it's quarantined from the rest. The pay and benefits are TOO high to let the rest of XPO Logistics mingle with. You wouldn't want the other portions of your company getting any stupid ideas as far as wanting more pay and benefits.

It's not a coincidence that the LTL hasn't been introduced and/or integrated into the overall company of XPO Logistics.

Yes , the LTL is a part , but it's quarantined from the rest. The pay and benefits are TOO high to let the rest of XPO Logistics mingle with. You wouldn't want the other portions of your company getting any stupid ideas as far as wanting more pay and benefits.

Exactly, which leaves us in a situation like what Truckload had. Where you get sold and then the buyer immediately looks to sell you. And if any other LTL buys us up, then we are all done for sure. What LTL is big enough to buy this but small enough to consider these old terminals an upgrade ?

Was driving late last night and heard Tim S. ( former XCO TM ) president of CFI doing a commercial for OTR drivers for his company. He sounded good.

Was driving late last night and heard Tim S. ( former XCO TM ) president of CFI doing a commercial for OTR drivers for his company. He sounded good.
We have lost a lot of good qualified people in the last couple of years . Maybe it’s a purge . Maybe it people fed up or a combination of both . This year will be a pivotal year to see if Xpo can fill the overwhelming amount of vacancies.

We have lost a lot of good qualified people in the last couple of years . Maybe it’s a purge . Maybe it people fed up or a combination of both . This year will be a pivotal year to see if Xpo can fill the overwhelming amount of vacancies.
I don’t see XPO filling anything. As already mentioned it’s about putting lip stick on this pig for sale.

You got this all wrong. More cutting. Even more demands on even more numbers.