XPO | ARE SCMs Really Necessary

Still best job I've ever had! Pouring concrete,roofing houses,tying rods,buildind scaffolding it AIN'T!

Been there done that. Them T-shirts don't fit no more. Wife uses them for nighties. They look better on her anyway.

But just like those past jobs led to this one, this one may be leading us to another as well.

I must say, Tony Brooks & Co. have really impressed me! I have been around this company through 4 logo changes up to and including XPO and this leadership has really stepped up by requesting and demanding SCMs perform or out they go. I have never observed such manager participation as I currently see throughout the company. It is refreshing and gratifying to be part of a working team with ALL working to a common goal of profitability. Nice job!
:clapping:

I must say, Tony Brooks & Co. have really impressed me! I have been around this company through 4 logo changes up to and including XPO and this leadership has really stepped up by requesting and demanding SCMs perform or out they go. I have never observed such manager participation as I currently see throughout the company. It is refreshing and gratifying to be part of a working team with ALL working to a common goal of profitability. Nice job!
Are you ****ing high? Or just completely out of touch with what’s going on?

I know of 3 logo changes. CCX, Conway Freight, and XPO.

I guess in any type of organization whether it be a trucking company, a retail store such as Wal Mart, a football team, etc.,etc.,etc. Their is a manager, coach or whatever name is given to lead. Yes, I was a SCM with Con-way for 22 years, retiring about 10 years ago, so my experience goes back to the early years of CCX. Much of my work was not seen by the average employee, but was work that was expected and required by the corporate. But, my work didn’t end at that, I worked in operations in the beginning , plus having to perform my duties as a Scm. Over the years, I was fortunate to have Fos to handle the operations. Toward the end of my career, I had supervisors getting 4-5 weeks Vacations and I filled their position, same with a clerk who was off on vacation or called in sick. Worked double shifts many times when someone called off due to sickness. Oftentimes , because of the demands of the region office or corporate, it was very difficult to be involved to be involved in operations. For most of my career, SCM were required to have 20-30 sales accounts and make monthly sales calls, also riding monthly with drivers, sales personnel, performing self audits, training ,hiring, and a lot of that was done. As a manager, It could take 10 hours to hire one employee, from interviews, back ground checks, training , etc. probably hired over 100 people during my career. The list goes on and on. I always enjoyed going to the service center on weekends to take inventory, getting called out during the middle of the night to let a Dsr in the terminal who forgot his key, or taking a Dsr to meet a linehaul Dsr who ran out of hours, often on a Saturday morning, replacing decals on tractors which always occurred in January when it was zero weather. Granted, their was a lot of busy work, was it all needed, probably not. Am I complaining, no! I worked a lot of hours, made a decent living, made a lot of friends with both SCM and Dsr, some I regularly keep in touch with almost ten years after retiring. So, yes, I believe you need a leader, regardless what type of business you may be employed at. Unfortunately, in any company, their are often positions that do not generate revenue and may effect the bottom line, but they are necessary to succeed.

I guess in any type of organization whether it be a trucking company, a retail store such as Wal Mart, a football team, etc.,etc.,etc. Their is a manager, coach or whatever name is given to lead. Yes, I was a SCM with Con-way for 22 years, retiring about 10 years ago, so my experience goes back to the early years of CCX. Much of my work was not seen by the average employee, but was work that was expected and required by the corporate. But, my work didn’t end at that, I worked in operations in the beginning , plus having to perform my duties as a Scm. Over the years, I was fortunate to have Fos to handle the operations. Toward the end of my career, I had supervisors getting 4-5 weeks Vacations and I filled their position, same with a clerk who was off on vacation or called in sick. Worked double shifts many times when someone called off due to sickness. Oftentimes , because of the demands of the region office or corporate, it was very difficult to be involved to be involved in operations. For most of my career, SCM were required to have 20-30 sales accounts and make monthly sales calls, also riding monthly with drivers, sales personnel, performing self audits, training ,hiring, and a lot of that was done. As a manager, It could take 10 hours to hire one employee, from interviews, back ground checks, training , etc. probably hired over 100 people during my career. The list goes on and on. I always enjoyed going to the service center on weekends to take inventory, getting called out during the middle of the night to let a Dsr in the terminal who forgot his key, or taking a Dsr to meet a linehaul Dsr who ran out of hours, often on a Saturday morning, replacing decals on tractors which always occurred in January when it was zero weather. Granted, their was a lot of busy work, was it all needed, probably not. Am I complaining, no! I worked a lot of hours, made a decent living, made a lot of friends with both SCM and Dsr, some I regularly keep in touch with almost ten years after retiring. So, yes, I believe you need a leader, regardless what type of business you may be employed at. Unfortunately, in any company, their are often positions that do not generate revenue and may effect the bottom line, but they are necessary to succeed.
You have no idea what it’s like under Xpo. A whole different game.

Are you :censored: high? Or just completely out of touch with what’s going on?
Are you able to check and see if someone stole his account?

I don't think Service Center Managers are necessary with the current setup that XPO has. SCMs are not encouraged to think or act for themselves.

I don't think Service Center Managers are necessary with the current setup that XPO has. SCMs are not encouraged to think or act for themselves.
I know the area he posted from, will run a sweep.

Still best job I've ever had! Pouring concrete,roofing houses,tying rods,buildind scaffolding it AIN'T!

Careful now, a post like that on this message board will set you up for untold amounts of scorn and derision. However I know where you're coming from. I was a farmer, I was in the Navy, I worked in a high rise in Atlanta and now I've been driving for over 30 years. This is the best job I've had in those past 30 years. I don't see all the Doom and Gloom the others see. Maybe I have blinders on. But as for me I say let the good times roll.

At the rate they are being fired.... I don't think XPO thinks SCM are necessary either.

Careful now, a post like that on this message board will set you up for untold amounts of scorn and derision. However I know where you're coming from. I was a farmer, I was in the Navy, I worked in a high rise in Atlanta and now I've been driving for over 30 years. This is the best job I've had in those past 30 years. I don't see all the Doom and Gloom the others see. Maybe I have blinders on. But as for me I say let the good times roll.

Doom and Gloom ! CLS ( chicken little syndrome ( where the hell is Merdock ? ))

Accepting and understanding change is fundamental in life as a whole. CCX is dead. Were we better for it ? Con-way is dead. Are we better for it ? Sooner or later XPO will be sold. We will be better for it ?

Not saying there is anything wrong with taking the paycheck. But many would disagree with you saying that the times we are presently in are the good times.