ODFL | Are the Congdon's pulling out on managing the company?

So it seems like many of us feel the company direction, maybe even atmosphere, or think changes may be on the horizon. There's been talk of who's really running the show. So who is it? I mean I see we went from David being president to Greg Gantt being president in May 2015. Is this who the 'changes' should be associated with or is there more to it I haven't caught on to? Curious.

So it seems like many of us feel the company direction, maybe even atmosphere, or think changes may be on the horizon. There's been talk of who's really running the show. So who is it? I mean I see we went from David being president to Greg Gantt being president in May 2015. Is this who the 'changes' should be associated with or is there more to it I haven't caught on to? Curious.

I believe this new layer of management that is being created at the regional level ... Namely the HR and safety are the reason for the new company direction/atmosphere ... Many have come from other than fantastic places, such as displaced Conway management and other failed/failing places ... just my thoughts ...

Dont be fooled.David is still in charge.David is CEO.Greg is a great guy and he deserved to hold the President position.I think the change that is going on is below them.Just changes of the time.Alot for the good

Last edited:
Dont be fooled.David is still in charge.David is CEO.Greg is a great guy and he deserved to hold the President position.I think the change that is going on is below them.Just changes of the time.Alot for the good
Take it from an old YELLOW guy, What OD has done in the past 25 years of trucking is amazing. I always looked at how much their drivers suffered ( no overtime pay anywhere, no starting times, easy firings if they had an accident ) and looked negatively at that. In later years I have many O.D. friends and have more insight. They were willing to take those bad things just as union employees were willing to put up with people stealing our pensions, bad equipment, and terrible business decisions. In the end, O.D. Came out on top. More freight per capita than anyone else ( when you take size into account). "Mostly" happy employees who know if they just do their job they will have job security, because their company's pricing, delivery times, and claims ratio's are in a league of their own. I was talking to an Averitt sales rep and he said, " where did O.D. come from? In the mid 80's O.D. was a glitch on the radar. Now they own the radar. Good job ladies and gentlemen. You deserve it. The Cogdon's caring and your hard work have made O.D. The model to try to imitate.

Take it from an old YELLOW guy, What OD has done in the past 25 years of trucking is amazing. I always looked at how much their drivers suffered ( no overtime pay anywhere, no starting times, easy firings if they had an accident ) and looked negatively at that. In later years I have many O.D. friends and have more insight. They were willing to take those bad things just as union employees were willing to put up with people stealing our pensions, bad equipment, and terrible business decisions. In the end, O.D. Came out on top. More freight per capita than anyone else ( when you take size into account). "Mostly" happy employees who know if they just do their job they will have job security, because their company's pricing, delivery times, and claims ratio's are in a league of their own. I was talking to an Averitt sales rep and he said, " where did O.D. come from? In the mid 80's O.D. was a glitch on the radar. Now they own the radar. Good job ladies and gentlemen. You deserve it. The Cogdon's caring and your hard work have made O.D. The model to try to imitate.

All OD drivers, P&D and line haul are the face of OD to our customers. Line haul drivers who do all possible to make their runs on time and the P&D drivers who are pleasant and go above and beyond for our customers, you guys are a large part of the success of OD. I am an OD employee but not a driver but it always makes me proud when I hear stories from someone who has had excellent experiences with OD.
I was recently out of state and became ill. I went to an urgent care clinic and as I was talking with the doctor I said I worked for OD. He then told me about a recent shipment he received form OD. A kayak, I cringed when he said that, but he went on to say how the local dispatcher had called to make arrangements for delivery. When the driver arrived he said he was very nice and friendly, unloaded the kayak and helped him carry it into his garage. He said he had never had another freight company that was so helpful and courteous to him.
I just want to pass on this experience to all of you that continue to make OD the best. Kudos to all of you for the great job you do.

All OD drivers, P&D and line haul are the face of OD to our customers. Line haul drivers who do all possible to make their runs on time and the P&D drivers who are pleasant and go above and beyond for our customers, you guys are a large part of the success of OD. I am an OD employee but not a driver but it always makes me proud when I hear stories from someone who has had excellent experiences with OD.
I was recently out of state and became ill. I went to an urgent care clinic and as I was talking with the doctor I said I worked for OD. He then told me about a recent shipment he received form OD. A kayak, I cringed when he said that, but he went on to say how the local dispatcher had called to make arrangements for delivery. When the driver arrived he said he was very nice and friendly, unloaded the kayak and helped him carry it into his garage. He said he had never had another freight company that was so helpful and courteous to him.
I just want to pass on this experience to all of you that continue to make OD the best. Kudos to all of you for the great job you do.
Thank You.Very nicely said.Thank You for the job you do.Welcome to the forum.We discuss matters right or wrong in each other's eyes .We have fun on here for sure.

Of course he was nice. Most doctors live in fancy modern neighborhoods so it's easy to get that 48' ss tire liftgate trailer in and out. Ofc the doctor probably didn't tip.

I might have to take the legend off ignore. Only getting half the conversation is hard to follow. I've been putting in what I think he said, like "this company would go under if it wasn't for me" and "I'd be done by noon if that road driver didn't take a 6 hour nap and getting my trailer loaded by the dock scum didn't take all day." Am I close?

I might have to take the legend off ignore. Only getting half the conversation is hard to follow. I've been putting in what I think he said, like "this company would go under if it wasn't for me" and "I'd be done by noon if that road driver didn't take a 6 hour nap and getting my trailer loaded by the dock scum didn't take all day." Am I close?

More like he just doesn't have a nice word to say about anything or anybody. If I were that unhappy I think I'd be finding another place to hang my hat...

You two sound just like the jr drivers here that are drooling for us seniors to leave. I like OD, but shouldn't be insulted because I see the decline of a company I've worked at half my life. People like me, dmt and Kenneth are in the trenches and see what's going on.

Line just hooks and drops trailers with zero interaction with management. First thing line drivers do at our terminal after dropping their sets is bobtail the tractor to the office to tell management how windy or rainy their night was to feel important for a gravy job.

You two sound just like the jr drivers here that are drooling for us seniors to leave. I like OD, but shouldn't be insulted because I see the decline of a company I've worked at half my life. People like me, dmt and Kenneth are in the trenches and see what's going on.

Line just hooks and drops trailers with zero interaction with management. First thing line drivers do at our terminal after dropping their sets is bobtail the tractor to the office to tell management how windy or rainy their night was to feel important for a gravy job.

Good for them, and good for you. You can think whatever you like sir, but I'm not here to prove who is better and who isn't, if you are looking for a pissing match you're barking up the wrong tree.

Good for them, and good for you. You can think whatever you like sir, but I'm not here to prove who is better and who isn't, if you are looking for a pissing match you're barking up the wrong tree.

Not sure what your deal is bro, but 2.0 hugs for you.

If we have zero interaction with management then why would we go into the office to tell them how windy and rainy the night was? We all have a job to do that makes OD turn. If you don't like having interaction with management my advice would be moved to line haul and enjoy the wait time with no pay

Last edited: