ODFL | Are the Congdon's pulling out on managing the company?

If we have zero interaction with management then why would we go into the office to tell them how windy and rainy the night was? We all have a job to do that makes OD turn. If you don't like having interaction with management my advice would be moved to line haul and enjoy the wait time with no pay

Much more than a valuable asset in the city to give up to line.

Like I've said before, tm's have flat out stated line is where they get rid of their deadweight in the city. It's the truth, if someone can't pick up the pace.. Off to line they go. Yes, even your beloved manager may think of you this way.

A good city driver is very hard to find since no one wants to work hard. Line are a dime a dozen. You never see ppl on tb asking if od is hiring for city lol

Much more than a valuable asset in the city to give up to line.

Like I've said before, tm's have flat out stated line is where they get rid of their deadweight in the city. It's the truth, if someone can't pick up the pace.. Off to line they go. Yes, even your beloved manager may think of you this way.

A good city driver is very hard to find since no one wants to work hard. Line are a dime a dozen. You never see ppl on tb asking if od is hiring for city lol
Well I can agree that some of the dead weight is pushed to line haul but there is dead weight in the city as well. When I started at OD I was a city guy and pretty good at it. I chose to go line haul and was begged not to go. To be clear I'm not bragging that I'm the best, I'm nothing special I just got the job done. When you are one that gets the job done they pile more and more on those drivers. Meanwhile you always find the clock milkers spending time under there favorite shade tree or screwing off somewhere. I left because it's not in me to be a clock milker and didn't enjoy getting the majority of work because I was quicker and more efficient than others. Bottom line on lh I make more have less labor and my ability to get the job done quickly and efficiently gets the freight to the dock in a timely manner for those p&d guys who want to get the job done. And for those clock milkers it doesn't matter they will milk it regardless

Yes, that's true. Not enough line positions for all of them. We still have our worthless pile of skwedges in the city. They just give them a hoopie or some crap schedule until they break.

Well I hate to say this but this sounds just what was going on at Watkins before they sold to FedEx.. I'm not saying that's what's happening but it's not good when the owners check out. All we can do is buckle up and hang on and hope we survive the ride..

Well I hate to say this but this sounds just what was going on at Watkins before they sold to FedEx.. I'm not saying that's what's happening but it's not good when the owners check out. All we can do is buckle up and hang on and hope we survive the ride..

Who says they're checking out? Overall I don't see much has changed here in the almost 3 years I've been here. I think a lot of the current environment is chicken little syndrome and growing pains because of the massive growth we've undertaken in recent times. Is it perfect? Certainly not. Is it horrible? Certainly not. Is it a pretty good place to earn a living? Most certainly.

Haha...that's a new one. Watkins? OD is the best in the biz...CEO and other top Exec's are certainly not checking out. We are a public company -- not "owned" by the Congdons. Our #1 objective is to make money for our shareholders...which includes any of us that have OD stock in our 401k. We do a great job of that -- and it requires all moving parts to be well conditioned and firing in unison...from the dock, road, office, and the rest.

Haha...that's a new one. Watkins? OD is the best in the biz...CEO and other top Exec's are certainly not checking out. We are a public company -- not "owned" by the Congdons. Our #1 objective is to make money for our shareholders...which includes any of us that have OD stock in our 401k. We do a great job of that -- and it requires all moving parts to be well conditioned and firing in unison...from the dock, road, office, and the rest.

We may be publicly traded but I'm pretty sure that various members of the Congdon family own a majority share of the stock...

How do you outvote 51%?? That doesn't make sense.
There is regulation and checks/balances. The govt is involved being that we are publicly owned. They can't just sit in their lair and make hair brained decisions because they own a majority (actually would be interested to know the actual %. Doubt it's 51%). Plus -- you have many family members involved -- with different thoughts and opinions.

David Congdon owns controlling stock.. he has been buying it back for the last 6 yrs I know of..they want to remain in control..
This is more than a business for them,it is history... family dynasty..

David Congdon owns controlling stock.. he has been buying it back for the last 6 yrs I know of..they want to remain in control..
This is more than a business for them,it is history... family dynasty..
The entire Congdon family owns roughly 25% of all OD Stock. That is a fact. Check it out!