Are we getting worse???????????

Why do we seem to have a black cloud over our heads. I feel that it's time to look for a new job...

any specific reason for you to post this? seems a little vague. expand on this, give us something to talk about. the crickets are getting anoying in this forum.

Too much wasted time and effort to chase our tails. Seems like we go in circles and never get to the finish line. The way we operate we will be out of business next year. I think that the company is salting away money and not putting it back into equipment and pay increases, but they want us to increase our pase and workload...I don't know about others but I'm burnt out mentally and physically...

couldn't agree more

I could not agree more with your statement! It does seem like with all the changes by this new management that we are falling into some real bad practices. We are getting worse instead of better.

Now we work on the weekends to catch up for all our stupidity...Talk about messing with someone's home life

I'm a UPS Freight city driver out of Rochester New York.

I was finger printing a sort,and segergated load,at a gorcery warehouse just this last Wenesday.
The NEMF terminal here in Rochester had a part time in house lumper finger printing a load three times what I had to do.

He told me he was a road driver,that didn't have to much seat time in,and the TM said he'd use him to lump loads,and start him out on limited driving tasks.
But this guy told me the TM had just hired three drivers,and here he was still being used as a lumper,with no driving.

I don't think he had to long with your company,but anyway he was really frustrated with the TM lying to him,and said he was going to quit,when he was done with this load.
I told him not to just walk out,but he should go to the TM and ask him to do what he told him he would when he originaly hired on.

Yesterday I was back at this warehouse with 8 skids to finger print.
I saw a NEMF driver thats been working for your company awhile,sorting a 48 foot trailer load!

(OH MY better him,than me!)

I asked where the other guy was,he told me he quit wenesday evening.

I think thats to bad,but to make a long story short.
The Rochester Terminal must be doing well if they've just put on three more drivers?

NEMF Now Hiring!!!!

Rochester hiring 3, Syracuse 8, Pittsburgh 8, just to name a few.......

could they be ......... replacements?

It seems that the new management team is about ready to pull the trigger on revamping the entire linehaul dispatching system.

I would guess that the buildup of roadmen could be for one of two main reasons:

First, the runs are going to be "turn only", so more guys will be needed for meets. IE Conway2

Or, everyone will be a "systems" driver, three layovers then done. So, the new hires will simply replace the drivers who will be quitting do to the loss of hometime.

Yes, summers are always busy in the LTL industry, but the revamped dispatching system is indeed in the works.......

it's needed. there are drivers with time in at many different ltl's at my terminal, everyone to a man sez it's the worst linehaul on planet earth. open more breaks, all drivers sleep in there own bed everyday, put drivers on the docks at breaks along with dockmen. it'll be more efficent and provide better next day service.

the other big problem imo is how late everything happens at this company. everything needs to happen 2 hrs sooner. freight needs to get off the street sooner, needs to get to and out of the breaks sooner, city trailers need to be loaded and back on the street sooner.

Swinging a 53?

StewieG,

Conway uses all pup trailers, do you foresee a logistical problem with drivers attempting to backstrip a 53', K beam, break trailer stuffed floor to ceiling? Many of the "old" NEMF terminals do not have the floor space to accomodate this process. Pup trailers are way more condusive to this process!

Don't get me wrong. The one thing that keeps me at this company is the hope of being home daily. I just think running all K90's on driver break turns will be a disaster.

Also, ssshhhhhhhh. If everything keeps running later the road guys will have the daylight runs and P&D will be working nights!!!! ;)

In Newburgh (52) we hired 3 new drivers, no dock workers and we leave every morning on p&d about 1- 1 1/2 late because the road ops. here are getting worse. As for working weekends ..because of our stupidity ?? Don't you mean managements stupidity... I've never seen dumber poeple in a management position. I believe, that we as employees will not see a new contract next yr. .. we'll be out of business by then, unless we do something .... like get rid of this union, and stand up to the management here.

StewieG,

Conway uses all pup trailers, do you foresee a logistical problem with drivers attempting to backstrip a 53', K beam, break trailer stuffed floor to ceiling? Many of the "old" NEMF terminals do not have the floor space to accomodate this process. Pup trailers are way more condusive to this process!

Don't get me wrong. The one thing that keeps me at this company is the hope of being home daily. I just think running all K90's on driver break turns will be a disaster.

Also, ssshhhhhhhh. If everything keeps running later the road guys will have the daylight runs and P&D will be working nights!!!! ;)

i agree that pups are a different animal, more efficent. you can load more pure trailers, meaning less trailers to break at breakbulks. as far as breaking packed 53's, no worse than breaking 2 28 foot pups packed to the roof with load racks and freight stacked with plywood between it. keep the dock workers tho, even add a few more so that if a terminal say sends two drivers to a break, and one of the two trailers going back are already loaded and ready to ride can be cut to go back to the home terminal so that trailer can be broke and loaded for the city, to get out earlier. pups would make it better, but it can be done with what we have if people would be willing to accecpt change, and we both know that is a BIG IF.

I have 5 years with NEMF. This company has seen growth every year. The terminal I work at the volume has doubled both in and out in my time there. Every year a carrier has gone under to boost the freight volume. APA, CF, Plymouth Rock, GOD, and Red Star to name a few. This carrier offered great overnight service in the Northeast until recently. The sucsess of overnight freight is speed. Load facttor is also important but the few extra skids on the truck at the break means 20 drivers waiting for that late load at the destination. I've heard conway is awell run company but the problems of waiting several hours at a "break" terminal have grown worse recently.

Theres good points as well as bad running pup trailers.
You can stuff 56 feet of freight altogether and still be legal.

But with the axle so far back,if the loads aren't really secure thoses trailers act just like a divingboard jumping over pot holes and all other objects on the road during there travels.

You can load one customers freight if its 12 skids or less and not have to touch it till it reaches its destenation.

A set of these pups hooked up are like a whip.
You have to be very careful not to drop your tail over the edge of the road way,it might take you,and the lead off the road with it.

Like anything in the trucking business theres pluses,and minuses.
The companies just have to decide what they want.
Is it ok to have claims from freight thats bounced around inside of these pup trailers,and having that much more room to transport more freight with one tractor?
Then go for it.

imo, you'd still come out ahead in claims with pups over 53's. yeah the pups do bounce around more, but you can load more pures and head loads, so the freight isn't handled as much on docks, which is where the real distruction occurs. not to mention the fact that headloads and pures save time, and time is money in ltl. just a greenhorns opinion tho.

No new pups at NEMF

I'm certain that no matter what direction management takes at NEMF it won't include phasing out 53' vans.

I was only curious if any other known company did all meet n' greets/ break bulk turn operation with vans instead of pups.

dayton freight is almost exclusively turns. they have 2 or 3 "wild bids" per terminal that are out all week, but you have to bid it, extras and regular bids are home daily. are ward and pitt ohio all turns?

Too much wasted time and effort to chase our tails. Seems like we go in circles and never get to the finish line. The way we operate we will be out of business next year. I think that the company is salting away money and not putting it back into equipment and pay increases, but they want us to increase our pase and workload...I don't know about others but I'm burnt out mentally and physically...

spooky, but true...........

when some of us guys would be standing on the ramp at the terminal, we would all make "bets" as to the demise of the company. i think that i went along and said something like "less than 5 years" the company would be gone. that was at least 2.5 years ago................

i said that G.O.D. would go under, and it did.............

i said that Red Star would go under, and it did...............

i had made those "predictions" when the former APA went under, and we were just "joking around".............

i wasn't joking...............

right now, i'm 2 for three...............

another 2.5 years to go...........(or less)....

ok, while we're speculating, i wanna play. saia has been buying up companies to expand. there's one REALLY BIG hole in their coverage, the northeast. they're gonna fill it with some one, i wonder who????