FedEx Freight | Are we merging or not?

This is the last thing I heard, We at FXNL if given the option to work at FXF we would keep our dept sonority. In other words if you have 10 years in linehaul and 10 years in the company we only get to use the 10 years in linehaul. So, that would mean that we would dove tail in on the linehaul board. If we go into anything else we would have to start at the bottom. This is my understanding, But we all know it could change.

This is the last thing I heard, We at FXNL if given the option to work at FXF we would keep our dept sonority. In other words if you have 10 years in linehaul and 10 years in the company we only get to use the 10 years in linehaul. So, that would mean that we would dove tail in on the linehaul board. If we go into anything else we would have to start at the bottom. This is my understanding, But we all know it could change.

Your company seniority is what will determine if you can transfer. If they allow 10 transfers out of your terminal and the top 10 guys with company seniority say they want to go and you are number 11 then you don't get to transfer. They will use your board seniority to place you into the board at the terminal you transfer to.

Thanks FedEx, Still a lot of details to work out I guess. But that do make sense. And thanks again for all your helpful post.

Just trying to give some insight to all the rumors. It is very unsettling to sit and wonder about your livelihood.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a new mechanic at our shop. I asked the shop foreman if they hired another mechanic. He said no he's from National. They are going to start servicing National tractors in our yard. I guess they can park their tractors next to ours while they all wait for parts.

HAHAHAHAHA! That is only so funny, because it is so true!

When people talk about a National driver as having 10-20 yes company seniority how's that possible? If I'm not mistaken all Watkins drivers were o/o and not employed by the company. I know of people at the Brownsburg Indiana National people who started at freight 3-4 yrs ago in the city jumped ship after a few months to go to national as a road driver. So now they have the opertuinity to put me out of a job or bump me down on the board even though I have been at the company longer. You can bet I'll be an as* and if you can't figure out why than you must be so high on the board nothing affects you. There should be no dovetailing go to the bottom.

Ask the af folks in denver what happened when they combined the viking and af terminals, the viking guys came out ahead, fedex owned them first

Wow, You guys are a trip. I have one ? would you fill the same way if the shoe was on the other foot. And Hillbilly, why would you become an a**, We are all in this together now. And just to be clear, we were making money with little to no problems until we were bought out. I hate this as bad as anybody, but, I'm not going to be an a**hole to none of my fellow drivers. But do you all mean to sit there and tell me if you got 10 years in that FEDEX recognizes that you would not want to dove tail in. I doubt it. This is going to effect a little over half the people in some way or the other and I for one am sorry if it bumps any body down but that's the way it is and I think you would do the same.

I understand your reasoning and i understand if the shoe was on the other foot, but its not that we want anyone to lose their job but I didnt go apply at Watkins i applied at FedEx because to me i thought it was a better company. If FedEx was bought out by a foreign company i would have no argument where i was put because my company SOLD OUT. the Watkins family left you guys out to dry but instead its going to work in your favor which doesn't make sense to the guys that chose the better company from day 1.. Its not bad blood or hatred towards you personally but its just like your dad choosing to pass ball with your neighbor and not you...

When people talk about a National driver as having 10-20 yes company seniority how's that possible? If I'm not mistaken all Watkins drivers were o/o and not employed by the company. I know of people at the Brownsburg Indiana National people who started at freight 3-4 yrs ago in the city jumped ship after a few months to go to national as a road driver. So now they have the opertuinity to put me out of a job or bump me down on the board even though I have been at the company longer. You can bet I'll be an as* and if you can't figure out why than you must be so high on the board nothing affects you. There should be no dovetailing go to the bottom.
Watkins was not owner operator they were a ltl company just like AF or Viking. We have drivers that have over 30 years at our terminal, I'm not one of them so I'm probably going to loose my job because of this but Hillbilly you should not feel the way you do because someone might have a bad day and you could end up flat on your back. I hope it doesn't happen but you should not take it out on your fellow drivers because we are all in this together. It is a sad day when employees like you feel like this.

Thanks for correcting me on the o/o birddog. On the being put flat on my back, not to many people mess with me because of my past career. Also only person that's ever been able to put me on my back is my wife.

National drivers should go to the bottom of the board.

Thanks for correcting me on the o/o birddog. On the being put flat on my back, not to many people mess with me because of my past career. Also only person that's ever been able to put me on my back is my wife.

National drivers should go to the bottom of the board.

I'm not trying to start anything with you Hillbilly I just hope that everybody involved with this is ok. We all have our families to look out for and it sounds like Fed Ex doesn't give a s... about national or freight right now. Watkins was a very profitable company before Fed Ex bought them. I got hired on 2.5 years ago with National so I wasn't here then but I know that they used to make a very good profit. I just hope that everything works out for everybody involved, best of luck to you and yours.

I'm not trying to start anything either birdog. We all have families and bills. Just at this point and time I'm trying to look out for mine. I hope it comes out good for everybody but I don't think it will so I'm wanting to make sure it works out as good as it can for me. Yes I guess that's selfish but nobody else is going too. Good luck to everyone.

After January 30th

So does this mean that after January 30, 2011 no driver with higher Watkins/National seniority can take my position? Correct me if I am wrong, but that is to say that any Watkins/National road driver has until January 30, 2011 to make up their mind?

Based on the letter I would say I am safe after January 30, 2011. Through the grapevine I was told that the National terminal near us is projecting eight (8) road drivers to transfer to our terminal. I am ninth (9th) in company seniority from the bottom. Since this is a projection, I am guessing that I will either be bumped to the last bid spot or let go if more than eight (8) decide to transfer over with their Watkins/National seniority. If so, I've enjoyed the ride and wish everyone well.

jdk1600- But thoeretically, wouldn't there be more work at your terminal once they combine? So then, wouldn't there be a need for more drivers? I know some will lose their jobs, but maybe it won't get to you.