XPO | ARE WE THE ONLY MAJOR PLAYERS IN LTL THAT WORK THE DOCK?

What's up with the dock worker (hostler) position? We still bid out hostler position to a driver.

Sometime recently they added that to the driver schools. It's a 5 week class, I believe.

Says a lot about the driver market if they're willing to train a dockworker to bump off a hostler.

Sometime recently they added that to the driver schools. It's a 5 week class, I believe.

Says a lot about the driver market if they're willing to train a dockworker to bump off a hostler.
One wonders will this change with dockworkers be rolled out to non - FAC terminals? A shortage of drivers doesn't discriminate between large and small terminals. And neither does work that drivers would prefer to avoid ( like hostling in the rain , snow or ice , without a spotter truck )

As long as the non-CDL people stay on private property they can drive tractors and trailers all day long.

Unlicensed yard mule driver (while legal) having an accident injuring an individual equals huge liability.

5 weeks is a lot of training just to hostle. That sounds more like a job protection fear poorly concealed in a safety concern. No surprise there.
I don't really give a rat's a$$ who runs a mule. I've never had to bid it, never will. It's a crappy job. I sympathize for the guys at my place that do it every day. Fact is, is someone is hurt, no license whether it matters or not, will be brought up.

Unlicensed yard mule driver (while legal) having an accident injuring an individual equals huge liability.
And let's face it . It's all about saving money. 20/ hr no overtime till after 50 vs 28 /hr .

Sounds to me their cheaping out and it blaming it on the driver shortage. Just the kind of stuff you would expect from them

I don't know the legal aspect but if that unlicensed driver leaves the yard such as you would have to do at our barn too not go against the traffic pattern and enter a street used as a public right away I think they would be Breaking the law .

Just the fact that we don't pay dockworker o/t till after 50 like our drivers down south speaks volumes about this company. I always heard it was different down south because the cost of living is less. Well I guess they shot that excuse to ::shit:: when they decided to pay dock workers no overtime till after 50 in the north

Last edited:
I don't really give a rat's a$$ who runs a mule. I've never had to bid it, never will. It's a crappy job. I sympathize for the guys at my place that do it every day. Fact is, is someone is hurt, no license whether it matters or not, will be brought up.
i don't care who drives it as long as their payed the same as us.

And let's face it . It's all about saving money. 20/ hr no overtime till after 50 vs 28 /hr .

Sounds to me their cheaping out and it blaming it on the driver shortage. Just the kind of stuff you would expect from them

I don't know the legal aspect but if that unlicensed driver leaves the yard such as you would have to do at our barn too not go against the traffic pattern and enter a street used as a public right away I think they would be Breaking the law .

Just the fact that we don't pay dockworker o/t till after 50 like our drivers down south speaks volumes about this company. I always heard it was different down south because the cost of living is less. Well I guess they shot that excuse to :::shit::: when they decided to pay dock workers no overtime till after 50.

Just the fact that we don't pay dockworker o/t till after 50 like our drivers down south speaks volumes about this company. I always heard it was different down south because the cost of living is less. Well I guess they shot that excuse to :::shit::: when they decided to pay dock workers no overtime till after 50.
Just like if someone has an accident on the road with an 82,000 set....the truck can handle the weight, prolly wasn't the sole cause of the accident but when money hungry lawyers get a hold of that info, it helps his case greatly.

Just like if someone has an accident on the road with an 82,000 set....the truck can handle the weight, prolly wasn't the sole cause of the accident but when money hungry lawyers get a hold of that info, it helps his case greatly.
Brad Jacobs has already proven he's willing to push the envelope when it comes to laws .

First, no one is going to care if there's a hostler on that glorified horse path, although I wouldn't put it past some safety-conscious busybody to call 911 to get some red meat for the campaign.

Second, a long time ago I was told that the hostler can do whatever they want on the yard, and every one I've ever seen at an FAC made it a point to prove they could.

First, no one is going to care if there's a hostler on that glorified horse path, although I wouldn't put it past some safety-conscious busybody to call 911 to get some red meat for the campaign.

Second, a long time ago I was told that the hostler can do whatever they want on the yard, and every one I've ever seen at an FAC made it a point to prove they could.
Have you been to our barn ?

I have always maintained it was pushing it with fatigue for the drivers, I know people liked it because they could make more money. I just feel it's a little to much.
When it was still Viking and we still ran layovers, I ran SoCal out of Sacramento. There was a stretch of I-5 south of the Conway Kettleman City yard that had an inordinate amount of wrecks involving homebound Conway drivers, you think fatigue might have had a part?

No doubt in my mind.

When it was still Viking and we still ran layovers, I ran SoCal out of Sacramento. There was a stretch of I-5 south of the Conway Kettleman City yard that had an inordinate amount of wrecks involving homebound Conway drivers, you think fatigue might have had a part?

No doubt in my mind.
I'm sure it was a factor.