SAIA | Arriving on IVR by cell phone

SinceI am not linehaul, what would be the benefit of arriving yourself from your cell phone vs the free landline?

only time i use the landline is when dispatching out of GVL. i arrive and dispatch with the cell out of CLT and arrive myself back in GVL from the cell. i dispatch from the truck in CLT to save time, but i don't have a reason for doing it any other time.

Anybody been thrown under the bus by a tm by arriving yourself on the cell phone and spoiling the manager's plans to use you and charge the costs off to linehaul?

not so far. there have been times they have asked drivers at my terminal to drop and swap and they refused. the TM never said anything...the dispatcher freaked out of course.

When they ask us to do "extra" work they do it knowing we won't get paid without being on the clock....and don't want to have us punch a time card either. How's this.....running an out of route delivery after showing up at a terminal so he won't have to pay one of his people.

i love when i have to deliver something en route. not too long ago i did it 2 saturday mornings in a row. i had to go off route about 30 miles after departing CLT. i went on the clock right then, plus got all my milage pay. of course the 2nd time i did it the trailer had to be stripped to get to the freight i was delivering...that was even more free money. my TM told me to punch a time card when i returned to the terminal, and write in when i went off route. he tried to pay my on my time card the first time, but it would not let him enter it in the computer.