Arthur E. Imperatore Dies...

RIP

post-5836-0-23144600-1357857830.jpg

I did time with APA & Roadway & eventually went full time with Roadway. I remember something in those tractors with a paper wheel that squealed on you....

Tachograph, we had them when I drove for a contract carrier for A&P grocery stores.

EFzYKBY4uD6UyOxCOYi6Tw.jpg

7bd12437-0e42-4da3-8285-7f76ab7cfe8f

UPS had them in tractors 50 years ago and most likely even earlier. They were German made back then I believe.

Damn, you are old codgers, Ryder had a few in the old RDC 405 IHCs, but didn't run discs in them.

IHW6rB0.jpg

I can see SC and Tri standing beside the road trying to get me to blow the horn when I drove these.

IHW6rB0.jpg

I can see SC and Tri standing beside the road trying to get me to blow the horn when I drove these.

Seabreeze, I didn't realize till years later that the arm motion I was using to get you to blow the horn was actually signaling something else. I sincerely apologize, I didn't know it at the time! :2437:

many a "disc" was lost on its way from the tractor to the office

Like I stated, we didn't run discs in ours, but a lot of those tachographs had holes drilled in the plastic front.
You could insert a pin or needle and it wouldn't scratch the disc above 55 mph.
I didn't get to drive these binders often, they saved me a gas A50 Mack or L200 IHC.

Or was the fueler like myself and would forget to wind up the graph, always knew they who would watch,, the good ol days, looking out for each other
My Father drove for Souhtland Corp. starting in 1970, they had one of those with the disk, on the back of the cab. Good ‘ol Diamond REO cabover w/Detroit and 13sp. spring ride, no a/c, am radio, pulling 45ft refer full of dairy products from Bancroft Dairy in Madison Wi., to Fl. every week

My Father drove for Souhtland Corp. starting in 1970, they had one of those with the disk, on the back of the cab. Good ‘ol Diamond REO cabover w/Detroit and 13sp. spring ride, no a/c, am radio, pulling 45ft refer full of dairy products from Bancroft Dairy in Madison Wi., to Fl. every week