SAIA | Assigned Tractors

Sambo

TB Lurker
Credits
Do any of you system drivers have assigned tractors?

I have been here a little over a year and have pretty much shared a couple of tractors with the day guys ( a 99, and a '98). Both are now running later schedules , so the tractors are not available.

I know tractors are assigned to runs, but what about a system driver? The terminal manager has been unable to help me, and it's looking more and more like I will get stuck driving a '97 or '98 city tractor because that's all that's left on the yard when I go out.

When I cover a vacation, I use the assigned tractor for that run---but driving the system is not looking as good as it was---those are some crappy tractors on our yard.

How do your teminals handle this?

Assigned Trucks

In Dallas they are assigned in the system. You probably need to stay on the TM's back. If he can't figure it out have him call Dennis in DLS. He can give him some insight. If they can do it in DLS they should have no problem doing it wherever you are.:smilie_132:

OK, so I'll take that as 1 yes and 1 no out of the same terminal. About the same direction at my terminal :hysterical:

11 system drivers in CLT, and all of them have assigned tractors. J. Sherman used to assign all tractors out of Phoenix, I believe. Someone else got the position and now they have quit. Never made sense to do it this way. Assign them to a terminal, then let the terminal assign to drivers. Absolutely no reason why a line driver shouldn't be in an '04 or newer tractor. '02-'03 at the oldest. Some of the '01s are still in ok shape, but not many. You need to find out who is over the tractor assignment now. Maybe M. Abade can tell you or your shop supervisor. I don't think your TM is gonna be of any help. Anyway, somebody needs an earful from you.

I drove a '00 tractor last week. It did ok unless you were pulling any kind of uphill grade steep or shallow. It had over 1 million miles on it. I wonder if we will see as many new trucks this year since anything bought this year has to have the new engines that equal a new headache for the techs.

ok,my tm went 2 jeff mosher 2 ok my system truck assignment,went though in 24 hrs,or less,my tm has his ::shit:: together,hope this helps...u should have an assigned truckkkkkk.

yes I'm a system driver and have an assigned truck. It kind of sounds like the city drivers are out in the city with the 05'-07' LINEHAUL trucks and your geting the short end of the stick.So far I'm sattisfied in CLT the way they handle the truck situation

thats our office when were at work, go in and ask the TM if he would like to share an office with his dispatcher COMIIIN

Assigned one week at a time

Since I've been on two weeks and stayed out a week a a time, I wind up using the same truck all week. It's not so bad except having to empty out the truck after each run.

The chief concern about rotating trucks is not knowing the little idiocrynacies that each truck has and knowing what is ordinary and what is early warning signs of trouble ahead.

Being on a stretch of road 80-90 miles between towns and no cell phone signal and in thick fog is not the time to learn that the "hiccup" I heard in the middle of the night was just more than the product of a tired mind.:duh:

A friend of mine who came into linehaul at the same time asked about assigned units and there have been so many changes in the personnel that assign units that it may be a loooooonnnnng time before we see any assigned units.

Maybe we will see some more new tractors before that time. There are some drivers on regular runs that because they were supposed to slipseat with others coming off long laydowns don't get a regular truck. And they don't see those trucks either.

BTW I don't feel so bad about some of the city equipment in DLS after seeing some of the stuff the smaller terminals are driving. City equipment is rough looking all over.