TForce | At-Will employess

diverman said:
I would be willing to bet, without looking at the stats, that if a persong does their job, they are not going to be let go. In my opinion, this just means that the people are held accountable. The slackers are weeded out. I have NEVER heard of someone being let go just because the manager has a bad day. There usually is justification.
gotta an awful lot of slackers in this outfit that won't last too long then,guys walking around on the dock with hands in pockets,coffee cup welded in their hands,slinking/moping along,like I said ,terminal managers/dispatchers boys
:nutkick: :biglaugh::biglaugh: :biglaugh:,held accountable,hhuummm,does that go for them to?

there are a few slackers, some that will straighten up, a few that will probably end up leaving. It is not just management.

buttonman, I know you really have it in for management of anykind, but there is going to be accountability for all. I would venture to say that every terminal, Mgmt, is changeing there ways, because they know UPS will not tolerate variances from there business model.

Leo, is only around another year, then it will be ran by UPS, not the mgmt we have now.

Just for the record, I have no strong feelings either way, Union/Nonunion. But, I know as nonunion, I only have one mgmt to worry about, not two. The Teamsters are a company by themselves, trying to manage another company. Same overpaid at the top to nothing for the laborers. When was the last time Union mgmt did not get paid during a strike, What about all the millions paid to Hoffa. Sorry, this all goes on another board.

I'm just saying that EVERYONE from top to bottom has to earn their keep with UPS.
Changes are going to have to happen. Not just with TM/dispatch. Remember, in Sept. we start with the Diads, Dispatch is going to be way different also.

Just my 2 cents.

diverman said:
Just for the record, I have no strong feelings either way, Union/Nonunion. But, I know as nonunion, I only have one mgmt to worry about, not two. The Teamsters are a company by themselves, trying to manage another company. Same overpaid at the top to nothing for the laborers. When was the last time Union mgmt did not get paid during a strike, What about all the millions paid to Hoffa. Sorry, this all goes on another board.
Where did you get the information that the Teamsters try to manage companies. That couldn't be further from the truth. The truth is, the Teamsters bargain in behalf of the membership for fair wages and benefits, safe working conditions and fair treatment on the job(to name a few). I have never seen a Teamster rep ever give out job assignments or sign a paycheck. Why shouldn't reps or union management(as you put it) not get paid during a strike. They are still working during a strike even if we are not. And just for the record, a strike benefits no one, and I doubt if we will see any more strikes in the future. The goal now is to negotiate and vote for ratification well before contract deadlines.

I am just basing my opinion on family that has worked union and had lost two jobs due to closures assisted from teamster pressure.
I do not claim to know all, just based on family experience. One has since retired, and is still working because his retirement is not what he was promised.

Admittingly, I do have a little prejudice towards the Union, But, that being said, It would not bother me if we did go union. I really don't care either way.

I just find it easy for someone to call strike when it does not effect them. they still get the paycheck, No real motivation to settle, I don't like holding my employer hostage. I can always get a job. if I can't find better, than mine must not be that bad.

I see to many people done in by strikes, threats, and such.

To me, the teamsters is more about status than the working man nowadays. Way to much polotics for me.
I agree a stike benefits no one, but, to rather tarnish a company's name or put one under is not right. No one is forcing me to work here, I applied for it, I do my job, and don't really need someone else to stand for me, I am a big boy. If I have a problem, I can talk to someone my self.

Do I like some things about the Union? yes, do I agree with alot of their political games? no
I don't trust the Union nor do I trust company Mgmt. Too much money goes to the heiarchy of both, and that is the problem. but it has always been that way. and always will. Welcome to a corporate society.

Silverhawk1 said:
I have never seen anyone just get fired for no reason at all.... I have however seen plenty of employee's get fired that deserved to get fired.
I have witnessed this in the union environment as well. In fact there is a list of cardinal sins in the contract that result in immediate termination with no recourse at all.

diverman said:
I am just basing my opinion on family that has worked union and had lost two jobs due to closures assisted from teamster pressure.
I do not claim to know all, just based on family experience. One has since retired, and is still working because his retirement is not what he was promised.

Admittingly, I do have a little prejudice towards the Union, But, that being said, It would not bother me if we did go union. I really don't care either way.

I just find it easy for someone to call strike when it does not effect them. they still get the paycheck, No real motivation to settle, I don't like holding my employer hostage. I can always get a job. if I can't find better, than mine must not be that bad.

I see to many people done in by strikes, threats, and such.

To me, the teamsters is more about status than the working man nowadays. Way to much polotics for me.
I agree a stike benefits no one, but, to rather tarnish a company's name or put one under is not right. No one is forcing me to work here, I applied for it, I do my job, and don't really need someone else to stand for me, I am a big boy. If I have a problem, I can talk to someone my self.

Do I like some things about the Union? yes, do I agree with alot of their political games? no
I don't trust the Union nor do I trust company Mgmt. Too much money goes to the heiarchy of both, and that is the problem. but it has always been that way. and always will. Welcome to a corporate society.

Welcome to a corporate society?

So your just going to settle for that, a corporate society.

There's nothing you can do to better your self from the corporate society?

What companies were closed with the assistance of Teamster pressure that your family worked for and how about some facts on why a so called promise of a pension was not followed through.

I hear way to often about these so called family members, neighbors, friend or a friend etc that got robbed of their pension but thats all you ever hear, no facts, no story, which by the way there are two sides to every story.

No one wants to give out the facts only hear-says.

Also as far as caring either way wether the union comes or goes, you do care one way or the other or you wouldn't have wasted your time posting.

T251

wassesname said:
does at-will mean a company can break the law?

It did in Overnite's case during the strike.

Remember this little fact. You are a UPS company now. UPS has an image. EVERYONE knows who UPS is. The majority of the population didn't even have a clue who Overnite was during the strike. UPS does not and will let a negative image delevope from a labor problem that could and will be publized if a labor problem arises.

UPS won't break the law like O'nite did. Most of the laws UPS had written anyway to benifit themselves.

Time will tell, besides most O'niters want to wait and see anyway so they've got the time

Later T251

Teamster251 said:
It did in Overnite's case during the strike.

Remember this little fact. You are a UPS company now. UPS has an image. EVERYONE knows who UPS is. The majority of the population didn't even have a clue who Overnite was during the strike. UPS does not and will let a negative image delevope from a labor problem that could and will be publized if a labor problem arises.

UPS won't break the law like O'nite did. Most of the laws UPS had written anyway to benifit themselves.

Time will tell, besides most O'niters want to wait and see anyway so they've got the time

Later T251
You the UNION tried and FAILED to organize Overnite. During the process of trying to organize Overnite we had to endure the following.

1. All of the tires of equipment that was dropped at unsecured locations of our customers were flattened.
2. As we left the yard our mirrors were ripped off of the fenders of our trackers.
3. Radiators were punctured.
4. Bricks were thrown threw are windows and in one case a man was hospitalized in critical condition and had to undergo months of physical therapy. and is now a salesman because he can no longer drive a truck.
5. We were followed around to every customer and the victims of harassment, and vulgar expletives coming straight from the Teamster mouths.
6. There were many drivers that were shot at.
7. The UNION said openly that if they could NOT organize Overnite then they will "try to force them OUT of business."

I know that I am leaving something out here. but I think you get the idea where I am coming from. If Overnite broke any laws. it did so to defend itself and its employees. and if that be the case it doesn't even compare to what the TEAMSTERS did and tried to do to us.

So tell me "T" is that what we at UPSF have to look forward to if you are unsuccessful at organizing UPSF?

diverman said:
there are a few slackers, some that will straighten up, a few that will probably end up leaving. It is not just management.

buttonman, I know you really have it in for management of anykind, but there is going to be accountability for all. I would venture to say that every terminal, Mgmt, is changeing there ways, because they know UPS will not tolerate variances from there business model.

Leo, is only around another year, then it will be ran by UPS, not the mgmt we have now.

I'm just saying that EVERYONE from top to bottom has to earn their keep with UPS.
Changes are going to have to happen. Not just with TM/dispatch. Remember, in Sept. we start with the Diads, Dispatch is going to be way different also.

Just my 2 cents.
millions paid to HOFFA ?,I hate to inform you,HOFFA only makes around $400,000 dollars a year,maybe a little less,and a expense acount,LEO SUGGS made/got how much this year as ceo,in pay,bonuses,stock options,country club membership,and other perks?I really thing a man in HOFFA'S position is actually underpaid,when you compare his salary to someone like SUGGS,or BILL ZOLLARS,or an oil company exec.'s outragueos salary/compensation packages.is $400,000 A YEAR TO YOU,OR I,nothing to sneeze at,you bet,but it's nowhere's near what these ceo's make/get.why shoul'nt a laborleader be paid well,why should he get a truckdrivers wages for a job with an important,stressfulll position with very many resposibilites,the members voted on them to negotiate on their behalf's,should they have a leadership that goes into negotiations with there heads hung low,and hats in their hands,don't think so.is HOFFA wealthy?,sure,long before he was elected IBT. president,remember,HE was a labor attorney,and probably made a good buck at it.is HOFFA exactly getting rich as IBT president?not the way I see it,HELL NO,does $400,000 go as far nowadays as it once did?,no.:wavey: :smilie_132: especially for the top job with an awful lot of responsibilites:tribehasspoken:

Teamster251 said:
Welcome to a corporate society?

So your just going to settle for that, a corporate society.

There's nothing you can do to better your self from the corporate society?

What companies were closed with the assistance of Teamster pressure that your family worked for and how about some facts on why a so called promise of a pension was not followed through.

I hear way to often about these so called family members, neighbors, friend or a friend etc that got robbed of their pension but thats all you ever hear, no facts, no story, which by the way there are two sides to every story.

No one wants to give out the facts only hear-says.

Also as far as caring either way wether the union comes or goes, you do care one way or the other or you wouldn't have wasted your time posting.

T251
ya,t251,sounds an awful lot like that old REO SPEEDWAGON song'heard it from a friend,who heard it from a friend,who heard it from a friends friend,who heard it from a friends,friends momma's grandmomma's friends t/m's grandmomma's t/m's friends that you were messing around':holysheep: :rofl2: :rofl2: :biglaugh:

There were many things that went wrong the last time actually on both sides. My husband's truck was one of the several that were shot at. We all know that eventually there will be a vote. Let's all hope that every one can express their opinions in the right manner this time.

Valerie said:
There were many things that went wrong the last time actually on both sides. My husband's truck was one of the several that were shot at. We all know that eventually there will be a vote. Let's all hope that every one can express their opinions in the right manner this time.
I think most/all here agree,valerie:smilie_132: :bgroovy: :cool: :wavey:

At least that may apply to the ones who are here on the boards and can actually talk through the situations. Shame that we can't get more employees on here to express their views.

Re:

Silverhawk1 said:
I have never seen anyone just get fired for no reason at all.... I have however seen plenty of employee's get fired that deserved to get fired.

You do not know what provoked the persons actions and/or the intent of the party who terminates them. Also, positive discharge, is when various things are done to get the person to quit too. Instead of having to fire them. Finally, worker rights are not just about keeping jobs, but also protecting the enviroment of the working people too.

Bottom Line, It does not matter at will or not. When you become marked you will be terminated. They will find a reason if needed. You all are not perfect, You all break the law one way or another, You all have skeletons in the closet. If you are marked you are gone one way or the other. Who's gonna back you up?

Thats right!!! So you people that were grandfatherd into upsf with your long hair, beards and tatoos. Watch out, you do not fit the agenda of ups and you are first on the list to go. So don't screw up. Just once and your gone.

That is ridiculous, truck drivers are NOT CEO's! They are truck drivers, I have tattoos, so what? I also grow a beard in the winter, BFD! I did my time in the military, and UPS is NOT the military. The trucking business is getting more ridiculous by the minute!!

Frog, you hit the nail on the head. My TM said the other day, some of us senior people will not like the changes coming very quickly and quit, other will be shown the door. I guess that explains why we are hiring at a ridiculas rate. I have a funny feeling he's not joking!!!