Central Transport | Attendance Policy

if a doctor gives you a slip of has an excuse in writing for an illness, it should be excused. this is crap and no wonder nobody wants to go above and beyond for this company. their decision making on how to run this company is the exact same reason why they're in the state their in.

it is excused, that is not the issue, a doctor's note does justify FMLA leave.

it is nothing new to me, other places i have worked forced you to use up your PTO and VAC days for a FMLA leave, so don't complain it is all about Vitran and what they want is the end of the world

if a doctor gives you a slip of has an excuse in writing for an illness, it should be excused. this is crap and no wonder nobody wants to go above and beyond for this company. their decision making on how to run this company is the exact same reason why they're in the state their in.
It absolutely should be excused with a doctors excuse. This is one issue that has really gotten under my skin....It is absolutely ludicrous....I don't have a attendance problem so it really doesn't affect me....It's the principle of the thing.

My understanding is that you can NOT be disciplined for following the FMCSRs. My husband got written up for taking a sick day (and no, he did NOT get any verbal warnings, just a write-up), and when he asked his boss if the write-up was in line with FMCSR rules and regs, he got the famed "deer in the headlights" stare, followed by a stammered "Uhh... I don't know anything about that." o.O

FMCSR rules clearly state that "No driver shall operate a commercial motor vehicle, and a motor carrier shall not require or permit a driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle, while the driver's ability or alertness is so impaired, or so likely to become impaired, through fatigue, illness, or any other cause, as to make it unsafe for him/her to begin or continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle. However, in a case of grave emergency where the hazard to occupants of the commercial motor vehicle or other users of the highway would be increased by compliance with this section, the driver may continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle to the nearest place at which that hazard is removed." (That's 392.3, "Ill or fatigued operator.")

I'm still trying to get a hold of a lawyer who specializes in trucking to find out if this is a violation or not. We believe it is. We're pretty sure the company broke SOME law or rule by writing my husband up, even though at the time of the write-up he was told "You don't have an attendance problem but you're still getting written up." One supervisor went so far as to tell him that he HAD to sign the write-up (incorrect) and did not give him the option of writing his own comments on the form.

As for FMLA, it does not specify that you can only use it one time for any given reason; additionally, while you do not have to show your medical records to your employer, the employer can require you to provide medical certification to justify FMLA. Generally FMLA is not a good idea for a short-term illness (such as the flu), but is designed for illnesses or other situations (such as the birth of a child or the care of an elderly parent) that will require a longer period of time away from work.
Didn't they hire a lady from Fedex to run HR? cause that's exactly what they do there..it's to cover their ass, if they eventually have to fire you for something. If they won't let you add anything to it (which Fedex wouldn't either) just don't sign it.

then they could fore you for not following company policy. if you are told to sign a paper that will be put in your file, you have just refused to follow a TM's order. what you need to do is sign "signature acknowledges receipt of this paper, not that i agree or disagree with what is written on it"

they don't care about you or the reason you need off. if it is your health so what if it is a loved one so what. remember the letter that was attached to the checks some months ago. a mans mother died and he recived an award for being more concerned about the time slot of delivery than the death of his mother so they say and he recived a pin and cheers from the tm and pats on the back. they told you in the letter we don't care what the reason is even if it is the death of a family memeber you are to clock in. and if anything happens it will then be said to you if you didn't feel right you should have not came in. cause you put the company at risk. when you foucs on screwing your employees instead of fixing the issues like os&d and all the others that exist here how can this company last it is like pissing into the wind that is blowing in your face your gonna get wet and i hope you like the taste. this company is the poster child for what not to do when running a company. but somehow someway somebody thinks different just look at the results of what has happend and you tell me that you could not of changed you direction instesd of pissing into the wind all you got to do is turn in the other direction. somebody has a massive ego problem i mean if damaged freight is the issue that must mean in there terms it has to be an attendance issue. cause it is only if you call off that the freight get's damaged. i mean look at the time and effort put into screwing with us.just think if they spent all that time and effort into fixing the real problem we might have got it under raps already. but not here we are more concerned with chasing lateness. i am so glad i did not waste my time and finish collage cause i would be riding on the stupid train with the rest of the puppets and tards that think you can fix stupid by blaming something or someone elese for your lack of common sence.

yea.... that story made me SICK!!!!! Is upper management also handcuffed to the company? (in between vacations and "company" golf outings?)

remember, this place is runned by the same people who were being pushed out of the fed ex division that were losing money.

Any absence even with a doctors excuse is considered unexcused...First 2 verbal warning....3rd a write up....4th a one day suspension...5th a three day suspension...6th discharge....We were explained that any absence that is not preset is unexcused...Period...End of discussion....Ok ....How can you plan on a sickness...PTO can be used to get paid but it is still unexcused...If it's not planned it's unexcused...This just doesn't seem right....This may have always been this way up north but down here in the past if you called in sick they just took it from your PTO and nothing was said. Once your PTO was gone then they started saying something if it became a problem. Something just doesn't seem right about this. This doesn't really concern me because I don't have a attendance problem even being a old fart because my health is good. But some of the older guys with health issues now have to concern themselves with being fired...Even with a doctors excuse your history according to HR.

Sounds like a class action lawsuit we could easily win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then they could fore you for not following company policy. if you are told to sign a paper that will be put in your file, you have just refused to follow a TM's order. what you need to do is sign "signature acknowledges receipt of this paper, not that i agree or disagree with what is written on it"

No, you don't have to sign a write up or anything to do with discipline. If you sign it, you are admitting guilt!!! I have never signed any of my write ups as long as Ive been over here at Fredex. The next time you get a write up, ask them if you "have" to sign it, they will tell you no, but they would like you to???

maybe it is time for flash cards

why is it so hard for the top people in this company to understand that we are going under with all the crap that they have tried to make the reason for our down fall.they refuse to see the real issue. just as a drunk refuse's to see that booze is his problem.or an addict that the needle and the spoon are his problem. or a gambler.maybe a flash card viedo of os&d and not how we are going to screw you today employee. alot of the people who work here have given alot and been put threw the ringer with all the blame being pushed on the people who have tried to stick it out here. we have lost coustomers hand over fist do to the same issues over and over again.but we go after the one thing that is tring to do the right thing and leave the thing that is crushing this company alone os&d i think it is time to get back to principle's and values and not share holders if there are any left i mean who the hell is investing in this company anyway.i don't think you could give the stock for this company away right now. maybe it is time for trucker rehab hi i'm vitran and i'm in denial. i have an os&d problem along with other issues but i blame my employees for my own poor choices.this place remind's me of a get rich quick scam.if you buy all the tiny add's from your one bedroom apt you can make millions of dollars multi level marketing.you don't send someone out with a feather and ask them to cut down a tree. flash cards it's are only hope. flash card we are going under why OS&D.

No, you don't have to sign a write up or anything to do with discipline. If you sign it, you are admitting guilt!!! I have never signed any of my write ups as long as Ive been over here at Fredex. The next time you get a write up, ask them if you "have" to sign it, they will tell you no, but they would like you to???
It still goes in your file whether you sign it or not as it was explained to me...I will be used at a later date to fire you if they see fit.

train the hand book says we can fire you at anytime for any reason take this as the nicest thing they are trying to do for you you know putting you out of your pain

"At will " does state that.....But let me assure you it's just not true in all cases....With race playing a factor in many cases...Discrimination of the older workers as well has put them in hot water with the EEOC...I have seen many get their job back because Vitran just didn't want to go through the process of fighting the government...If they were to ever fire me I would head straight to the unemployment line...Because the last thing I would want is for the EEOC to get my job back. It would be a blessing in diguise and I would treat it as such.

you guys missed what my statement said. if your TM says you need to sign it, and you refuse, then that is insubordination by not following a legal, ethical, or morale direction by your supervisor. here in my state, that word alone will get your unemployment denied

It still goes in your file whether you sign it or not as it was explained to me...I will be used at a later date to fire you if they see fit.

If they fire you for not signing papers that you don't agree with, they were going to fire you anyway! When you take them to court and they break out papers that you haven't signed, the judge is going to give you your job back with back pay. Then you can tell them to stick there job where the sun don't shine, however, you can make it easier on them and just sign there papers and be out??? We have had guys get fired for legitimate reasons and get there job back with back pay!

Have a great day and good luck

Bruno

You r right about the FMLA S. Stress! You can use FMLA up to a total of 12 weeks per year and u can use it in increments. And it can be used for care of immediate family members as well. So if u got a.sick child that has say epilepsy or diabetes- a chronic condition, u can use it to care.for them when episodes crop up. They will use your PTO and.vacation though before FMLA kicks in. I just came off of FMLA for surgery.

Train, this is what happened to me in regards to EEOC: While working for a previous employer, I was hurt on the job in Piqua Ohio, April 8, 2008 dunnage hit my left calf, I was off for 5 months, 6 surgeries. Sept thru March of 2009, I worked straight through without missing a day, I was off on a 1 week layoff due to auto company shut down, on March 27th I got a call from the company and they said I was laid off. I said, that I knew that and they said indefinately. The following Monday, they rehired 7 drivers who were previously laid off, some younger than I, I am 57 now. I filed an EEOC complaint against them for age discrimination and disability discrimination. I wrote a very good letter explaining everything, EEOC investigated and found the company in violation of age discrimination. My former employer wrote a better letter than I did though. EEOC said that even though the other company was in violation, they felt that EEOC did not have a strong enough case against them to proceed any further. They suggested I retain an attorney. I let it drop. :mad:
After almost 2 years since the date of my accident, I finally settled my claim against the company where I got hurt for $225,000.00. $75,000.00 back to the atty, had to repay work comp and I got $115,000.00. Plus, I took 99 weeks of unemployment, Obama made sure that I only paid 35% of Cobra, I had bother knees replaced, bought 26 acres up in northern Michigan. Sorry Rambling. :ranting2: EEOC sometimes just does not help.