FedEx Freight | Attendance Policy

Did anyone ever figure out what the policy actually is?

ST
Well, the POLICY prints out to 9 pages. Not posting all of that. I may post excerpts as needed. Suffice to say, Purple Hammer was spot on, with a couple exceptions.

The POLICY makes no mention of points, but rather events, which are tracked. Using personal/sick time provides "exemption" for the event.

I'll share some more specific details when time allows. Meanwhile, read the Hammer's post again.
Absence and Tardy Exceptions will not be tracked as Absence or Tardies under the policy.The employee must still provide reasonable notice. The exception cannot be used to cover a No-Call/No-Show Absence. Employees may use the equivalent of up to 4 workdays within a rolling 365 day period to cover Absences and Tardies when a reasonable notice is given. Full time employees may use up to 32 total hours, and part timers may use up to 24 total hours. Employees must make a verbal request for the Absence or Tardy Exception when reasonable notice is given. The Exception has to be for a minimum of 1 hour. For example a tardy of 15 minutes could be covered as long as you use 1 hour of personal time and give reasonable notice. All of this is a somewhat condensed version from the policy. You are not limited to 1 per quarter. No points are started until after you have used up your Exception/Personal time.

So... Max is 4 call offs for full time, 3 for part time. Even with accrued hours to cover. Call out a 5th time, even with personal hours available and that's an "event".

How many "events" or points (or whatever they're called) can one receive before termination? Do they reset annually?

So... Max is 4 call offs for full time, 3 for part time. Even with accrued hours to cover. Call out a 5th time, even with personal hours available and that's an "event".

How many "events" or points (or whatever they're called) can one receive before termination? Do they reset annually?

I feel like calling off tonight... just sayin’

After you have used your 4 payed days, you get to call in 5 times without getting fired, on the 5th call in you will get a critical write up, 6th call in is a termination, if however, if one of your events have fallen off, you will not be terminated. Payed days take 1 year to regain, "events" come off in 6 months, but it is your decision whether to take a payed excused (if you have the hours) or an event.

After you have used your 4 payed days, you get to call in 5 times without getting fired, on the 5th call in you will get a critical write up, 6th call in is a termination, if however, if one of your events have fallen off, you will not be terminated. Payed days take 1 year to regain, "events" come off in 6 months, but it is your decision whether to take a payed excused (if you have the hours) or an event.

Seems pretty lenient to me.

The tardy, absence, and leaving work early exemptions/exceptions (32 hours-FT, 24 hours-PT) are available within a 365 day rolling window.

The "events" are track within a 180 day rolling window. Non-exempted Tardies & Absences are tracked separately (shown below).

6Z60jMT.jpg

*For No Call/No Show absences, the 1st one comes with a critical written. The 2nd earns termination.

*Note: H/R must approve, in writing, terminations for ANY of the above reasons.

*Last revision date: 04/16/2018

The tardy, absence, and leaving work early exemptions/exceptions (32 hours-FT, 24 hours-PT) are available within a 365 day rolling window.

The "events" are track within a 180 day rolling window. Non-exempted Tardies & Absences are tracked separately (shown below).

6Z60jMT.jpg

*For No Call/No Show absences, the 1st one comes with a critical written. The 2nd earns termination.

I don't feel tardy.

6Z60jMT.jpg

Above ONLY applies if you do not use a sick/personal day.
And you can call out 2 days in a row with using only 1 sick day except on a Friday.

By the way terminals in New Jersey will be receiving 5 sick/personal days starting the end of 2018 due to the Governor signing a new sick pay bill.

The bill would require each employer to provide earned sick leave to each person it employs in the state. The bill will cap annual yearly accrual, use and carryover of earned sick leave at 40 hours per week.

The employer is required to pay employees for earned sick leave at the same rate and with the same benefits as the employee normally earns.

Earned sick leave may be used for:

• Time needed for diagnosis, care, or treatment of, or recovery from, an employee's mental or physical illness, injury or other adverse health condition, or for preventive medical care for the employee;
  • Time needed for the employee to care for a family member during diagnosis, care, or treatment of, or recovery from, the family member's mental or physical illness, injury or other adverse health condition, or preventive medical care for the family member;
  • Absence needed due to circumstances resulting from the employee or a family member being a victim of domestic violence, if the leave is to obtain medical attention, counseling, relocation, legal or other services;
  • Time during which the employee is not able to work because of a closure of the employee's workplace, or the school or place of care of a child of the employee as a result of a determination that the presence in the community of the employee, or a member of the employee's family in need of care by the employee, would jeopardize the health of others, or;
  • Time needed by the employee in connection with a child of the employee to attend a school related conference, meeting, function or other event or required by a school professional staff member.
  • The bill prohibits retaliatory personnel actions against an employee for the use or requested use of earned sick leave or for filing of a complaint for an employer violation.
New Jersey now joins several states – nine plus the District of Columbia – that have enacted paid sick leave to provide earned compensation for workers who miss work due to illness or needing to take care of a sick loved one.

Can I take a day off if I get a splinter on a NJ boardwalk??...
LOL, You sure can as long as you have a sick day to use which you can take two days off using one sick day per our policy. And if that splinter becomes infected just use short-term disability which you will need to be out 8 days including weekends.

I run a relay run out of Russellville, AR during the daytime to meet KNX drivers and return to Russellville usually in the evening. I was sick for most of February due to a urinary tract infection and an upper respiratory infection. My Dr thought I was trying to pass another Kidney Stone. I was at our meet point over in Tennessee when I called my boss about being off the next day to go to the doctor as I was in pain and he kept saying that someone else was already off. That Friday I got up and didn't feel real great so I made my run. By 4 that afternoon I was in severe pain 313 miles from completing my trip. I drove most of the way back bent over the steering wheel praying I didn't pass out from the pain. When I finally made it back I spent 4 hours in the Emergency room finding out that I most likely had an infection of some kind. I was missed two days of the next week but my boss told me not to worry about it due to the point rule. I haven't ever tried to figure out how the point rule worked as I have always needed to work. I burned my last PTO day trying to get a CT scan done and before I knew it my boss is telling me I have 4 unexcused absences and their better not be a 5th. How did that happen. Seems I took a day in January to go to the dentist but didn't have enough PTO time and I told him just use a vacation day. I didn't know at the time that it did not negate the unexcused day. So I burned a vacation day for nothing. My boss never tells us anything about changes we just have to find out for ourselves when we get dunned for something that we thought was the right way to do it. It used to be at the discretion of the center manager if you had to burn PTO days or use vacation days. Got screwed and didn't even realize it.

I run a relay run out of Russellville, AR during the daytime to meet KNX drivers and return to Russellville usually in the evening. I was sick for most of February due to a urinary tract infection and an upper respiratory infection. My Dr thought I was trying to pass another Kidney Stone. I was at our meet point over in Tennessee when I called my boss about being off the next day to go to the doctor as I was in pain and he kept saying that someone else was already off. That Friday I got up and didn't feel real great so I made my run. By 4 that afternoon I was in severe pain 313 miles from completing my trip. I drove most of the way back bent over the steering wheel praying I didn't pass out from the pain. When I finally made it back I spent 4 hours in the Emergency room finding out that I most likely had an infection of some kind. I was missed two days of the next week but my boss told me not to worry about it due to the point rule. I haven't ever tried to figure out how the point rule worked as I have always needed to work. I burned my last PTO day trying to get a CT scan done and before I knew it my boss is telling me I have 4 unexcused absences and their better not be a 5th. How did that happen. Seems I took a day in January to go to the dentist but didn't have enough PTO time and I told him just use a vacation day. I didn't know at the time that it did not negate the unexcused day. So I burned a vacation day for nothing. My boss never tells us anything about changes we just have to find out for ourselves when we get dunned for something that we thought was the right way to do it. It used to be at the discretion of the center manager if you had to burn PTO days or use vacation days. Got screwed and didn't even realize it.
Red, Is your boss (papa smurf) i mean Barry S?

I have to admit management at my barn is pretty awesome. Laid back, but let's us know when we have a point accrued. Points out metrics but doesn't get bent out of shape about it. They are probably why I haven't looked at other places already :)