ABF | Attention Fed Ex and Conway

Here is a figure you might not have known about. Give or take a couple hundred, 35,000.00 dollars per rank & file employee, per year is what ABF pays to the IBT before the first dime of wages. About 20 grand represents retirement contribution, & 15 grand for medical premiums. So total wages & benefits paid to a 3 year or older ABF rank & file employee is still the highest compensated LTL truck driver in the world. We do pay about 60 bucks per month for Union dues, but not one dollar for Medical premiums. How long will that last? Who knows? Doctor installed a new knee in March. Bill was 42,000.00 discounted by Anthem to 22,643.00. My total out of pocket expense for annual deductible, pre-op, surgery, post op care, & therapy was about 520.00. That kind of price was provided to me by being employed by a company under the umbrella of a Collective Bargaining Agreement. I.e. a Union Contract. Yea, I do believe I will ride this train until I retire or it runs out of track. von.
Thanks to both of you for the replies and good luck in the future. We are trying over here but it is an uphill battle. I know you understand. Thanks again
I am currently at $23.22/hr. I believe the road rate is $.57/mile for doubles. That figure is standard across the country with few exceptions, Chicago being one of them, they are paid more. We get OT after 8 and on Saturdays. Double time on Sunday and holidays. Those two things do vary across the country (except for OT after 8, that is a standard).

The 7% was because the Teamsters were handing out money to YRC so ABF wanted some and they managed to get it. Not with my blessing though. We also lost a week's vacation across the board so new hires get no vacation for two years and two weeks after eight years, courtesy of the Teamsters.

We also have about $7/hr contributed to our pension fund and our health insurance is fully paid outside of the copays for doctors visits and deductibles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am currently at $23.22/hr. I believe the road rate is $.57/mile for doubles. That figure is standard across the country with few exceptions, Chicago being one of them, they are paid more. We get OT after 8 and on Saturdays. Double time on Sunday and holidays. Those two things do vary across the country (except for OT after 8, that is a standard).

The 7% was because the Teamsters were handing out money to YRC so ABF wanted some and they managed to get it. Not with my blessing though. We also lost a week's vacation across the board so new hires get no vacation for two years and two weeks after eight years, courtesy of the Teamsters.

We also have about $7/hr contributed to our pension fund and our health insurance is fully paid outside of the copays for doctors visits and deductibles.

Question about the pension contribution, as a road driver I work more than 40 hrs a week. So would the pension contribution be on just 40 hrs or would it be on the actual amount of hrs I worked? Also on hourly employees would they get just the number of hours worked contributed, say a man actually just got 35 hrs one week instead of 40? Just did some figuring and by your wages with contributions, and by my wages with insurance cost it looks like you make $282.65 per week more before taxes than I do. Of course if I tried to tell that to someone at FedEx I would be called a liar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question about the pension contribution, as a road driver I work more than 40 hrs a week. So would the pension contribution be on just 40 hrs or would it be on the actual amount of hrs I worked? Also on hourly employees would they get just the number of hours worked contributed, say a man actually just got 35 hrs one week instead of 40? Just did some figuring and by your wages with contributions, and by my wages with insurance cost it looks like you make $282.65 per week more before taxes than I do. Of course if I tried to tell that to someone at FedEx I would be called a liar.
The pension and health care are definitely the 'unseen paycheck'.
Benefits (both pension and health insurance) are capped at 40 hrs and I do believe that is nationwide. Pension is paid only on hours worked or paid for (pension and health insurance are paid for our holidays, vacations and sick days). Health insurance varies a little from location to location, this is where the supplements come into play with varying language. For me health insurance is paid by the hour and I need to have 15 days (yea, paid by the hour but has to be 15 days worked in a month to be covered for that month). There is also a 180 days paid in over last 12 months clause (15x12=180) that will keep you covered if you have been around for more than a year and things get slow on you (there are 260 work days in a year so if you have a full year behind you you can miss 80 work days and still be covered). But in other areas if a driver works like 3 days in a week he has coverage for that week.

Twice Pipes got out while the getting was good, he would be singing a different tune if he worked here today, I've been here for 19 1/2 years and my massive "pension" payout is a whopping 175 bucks a month..... I'll be living large no doubt.... I'll put my faith in the Teamsters thank you very much.
Wow...your retirement has been cut that bad?

You guys who are trying to organize at FedEx and Con-Way,......Please keep in mind that you do NOT automatically go into a defined-benefit Multi-Employer Fund. I really hate to bust a few bubbles here, but I'd hate it a lot worse if guys would organize under misconceptions. A Union's entire stock-in-trade is Morals,.....we feel we have a Moral Right to negotiate our futures,...instead of the,...."benevolent"...company dispensing whatever they feel is...." fair ". So,....It would be disingenuous to tell guys who are trying to organize, that they would walk right into the exact same pension and benefits we have. You CAN negotiate into the Pension funds,.....You CAN negotiate something better,.....But you have to remember that the company you're negotiating against,......is terrified of losing control of their Labor costs, and having them get into the Profits.....(....the ..."benevolent"...company will dispense whatever THEY feel is...." fair"... out of the profits. Your opinion is not needed...)....They will fight you guys tooth'n'nail,....if you don't already know that. They will lie,....They will threaten,....they will cheat,...They will bend as many of the Labor laws as their slimeball attorneys will ..."advise"...them they can get away with.......They will call your family,...They will call your wife,........They will pull pins and flatten tires, if they could think that would scare guys from joining a Union,.....And they'd lie, and blame it on the Union.....You guys have a long, hard road to go down,.....But,....if you get it,....fight them right down to the wire, and beat them,......you can be honestly and justifiedly proud of yourself for holding your head up and fighting the Good Fight for the rest of your life........Something to brag to the grandchildren about.........The flip side of that is getting scared,...bowing your head,....and acquiesing to the company,...and voting "No",....or not voting at all.......Nothing at all there to brag to the grandchildren about.........not that you'll get a chance to see them much, if you're working to 70 to ..."afford"... retirement.......

And a very good point that is. Many think they do and most hear nothing but the worst of the worst about those funds. First they are not all in bad shape and second it is improbable that any newly organized companies would participate in those funds until such time they have been revamped. I suspect hybrid funds in the future where we are all weaned off of the multi-employer funds.

And,.....The hybrid funds are still backed by PBGI,.....as opposed to 401(k) -style investment schemes,.....who still, to this day,....even after Enron, and Congress having a chance to...."fix"...401(k)'s by guaranteeing them, too,..........and Congress refusing to do so,......have NO guarantee, that some,...most,...all,....or none........of the funds you've,..."invested"....will be there. You're just another Wall Street Sucker,....and the only guarantee Wall Street will give you,...is that you can pretty much count on a....."market adjustment"....approximately every seven years,....where you lose half to three-quarters of your ...."investments".......just hope it doesn't happen the month you decide to retire......

Another issue that I have heard a little about is health insurance. I have heard that their health insurance is good as it is and that a step into Teamsters health insurance as UPS has made would be a step down for them. They do not automatically go into a Teamsters health insurance plan or any other plan for that matter. There is no reason their health insurance can't remain the same through negotiations. In my opinion fully paid health insurance should be part of every full time job. When I was young I don't recall anything about employees paying health care premiums.

I have a question as a FedEx driver. Was wondering about the 7% consession that was voted in. Can you tell me what it was for and tell me if you are still making more than me. I make .5994 and $23.68. if would rather you can pm me.
Even with the concession, they are making more then you, their health care is paid 100%, how much do you guys pay a month out of your pocket for your best plan?
I'm guessing around 100 a week, from what I hear.

A dirty, slimy little secret that's starting to come to light,.........is that the money that some employees pay , on a weekly basis, for their health care plan,.....is NOT going to their health care. They are paying their employer a "maintenance" fee,......to maintain their group insurance,............a fee that the employer can adjust at will. In other words,....if you get a 50 cent an hour raise,....but your weekly "health insurance" bill goes up $25 more dollars,............did you get a raise?....or did you take a pay cut? Employees that have a weekly or monthly charge taken out of their pay should question their employer as to whether that money is actually going to their health care provider,.....or is it going right back into your employer's pocket,.....so he can........"maintain".....your plan? So-called......."Administrative Costs"....as it were.....This is one of the reasons companies fought so hard to eliminate the government insurance option in the Affordable Care Act. This is the only nation in the world where your employer is in charge of your health care,.........and as long as he can control your out-of-pocket costs at will,......he can control his Labor costs at will. Employees who are paying a...."co-pay"....on a weekly basis, should start asking their employers for proof that the monies paid are actually going to the health care provider,.....and not right back into the employer's pocket.

So as a Teamster you would receive about $3500.00 a month for 33 years is that what your company pension is. And remember your 401K was your money that you put into the fund and that is what you are getting now. How is those health benefits that FedEx is giving you for life? I can see if you were happy there Hell there are millions of welfare receipts that are happy to get that little food stamps and money each month so would you think it better to have been on welfare than to have worked for FedEx?

You are happy and as a driver I am glad for you. But you sir can not say that you would not like to have better health benefits and more pension income can you?
I would like to point out that any contract that FedEx agrees to if they go union will be one that the drivers and dockworkers at FedEx come up with. They will have our contract to see what they may like and there will be some things in our contract they would not want. Such as Paid Transportation in a union contract has maximums and that is a good thing for all drivers at FedEx. Can you say that in all your years at FedEX you never saw a BROTHER get fired just because he was not liked by a supervisor?

No I don't think that you would have joined the union, not to be mean but your post seems to say you got yours and you would not like to see the BROTHERS at FedEX now get a better deal than you settled for.

But unlike you I will wish you a long and happy retirement full of nothing but good times. I hope you live many years but I have to admit I have yet to see a 401K that would last for 20 years of withdrawals.

Oh and as for the equipment. What bank account or 401K plan excepts that as a contribution? You probably meant to say FedEx's equipment. You see your post says a great deal about the poster. YOUR UNION BROTHER ALWAYS!
sooo funny! what will you do when NO MORE MONEY continues to fund that retirement plan? as far as the teamster pension lasting that long..... oh you silly master freight guys.... before you whjne or rant, I am a 12 yr teamster... as much as I am pro ABF,you guys are on a thread, and not of yours or ABF's choosing.. the TEAMSTERS... yahoo!!!

sooo funny! what will you do when NO MORE MONEY continues to fund that retirement plan? as far as the teamster pension lasting that long..... oh you silly master freight guys.... before you whjne or rant, I am a 12 yr teamster... as much as I am pro ABF,you guys are on a thread, and not of yours or ABF's choosing.. the TEAMSTERS... yahoo!!!
Not everyone is in central states, other plans are doing just fine....

I am an extra board driver out of ATL. I can average around 2000 a week, and ABF contributes 700 a week for my benefits and pension. When I come in I am on the clock even if my load is not ready. If I am in the hotel and my load is not ready within 12 hours I am on the clock. Guaranteed 2 hours and on the 17th hour our meal is paid for. I get paid for every minute it takes to break and make sets. The best thing is the seniority rights, work rules and job protection. If a jr. man gets a better run you get paid the difference. There is no stroking the boss for better work. I have seen drivers get their jobs back after an accident. What are you going to do if you are at a non union company and a manager has it out for you...human resources will not help you, who's side do you think they are on? I don't want to work for a company where coworkers rat on you and kiss ass to move up. I don't want to be treated like a boy by management. What are you going to do when your insurance gets dropped for Obamacare? What are you going to do if you get fired unjustified and you have a family depending on you? Now is the time to organize, you have the upper hand because of driver shortages. Lets stick together for our future and the future of our families. Charlotte Fed Ex...VOTE YES.
If it is so good why is the teasmster pension going broke??
Why is your pay cut?
Why do customers only use union carriers when they are the cheapest..
Why do non union carrier have better CSA scores than union carriers.
Why do union carrier pay worse than non union jobs.
Why aren't workers voting in unions if they are so great?
Why are pensions being cut?
Why do some union boss's get to collect as many as 5 different union pensions while workers get theirs cut??

If it is so good why is the teasmster pension going broke??
There are quite a few Teamster pension funds, to which are you referring? Mine is not going broke.
Why is your pay cut?
Because the company outsmarted more than half of my coworkers.
Why do customers only use union carriers when they are the cheapest..
This is news to me. I find that price is the most common factor in determining who hauls the freight most of the time and union/non union is not even a factor. The exceptions are when the freight needs to arrive on time damage free, then ABF is able to command a higher price for the service and is where they try to concentrate their efforts.
Why do non union carrier have better CSA scores than union carriers.
I'm not going to chase your claims so could you provide evidence for me?
Why do union carrier pay worse than non union jobs.
Because we put our resources into fully paid health insurance and a sweet pension package.
Why aren't workers voting in unions if they are so great?
Because they don't know any better.
Why are pensions being cut?
To which pensions do you refer? Mine is not being cut and I find $4300 per month to be one of the better pension benefits out there.
Why do some union boss's get to collect as many as 5 different union pensions while workers get theirs cut??
You're got my attention, who's collecting 5 different pensions? And once again, who's pension is getting cut?

Now...why do you come here ranting about things of which you have little or no knowledge? Are you jealous of our situation and this is the best you can do?

And why don't you try some grammar lessons, your use of the English language is an embarrassment to all drivers.

There are quite a few Teamster pension funds, to which are you referring? Mine is not going broke.

Because the company outsmarted more than half of my coworkers.

This is news to me. I find that price is the most common factor in determining who hauls the freight most of the time and union/non union is not even a factor. The exceptions are when the freight needs to arrive on time damage free, then ABF is able to command a higher price for the service and is where they try to concentrate their efforts.

I'm not going to chase your claims so could you provide evidence for me?

Because we put our resources into fully paid health insurance and a sweet pension package.

Because they don't know any better.

To which pensions do you refer? Mine is not being cut and I find $4300 per month to be one of the better pension benefits out there.

You're got my attention, who's collecting 5 different pensions? And once again, who's pension is getting cut?

Now...why do you come here ranting about things of which you have little or no knowledge? Are you jealous of our situation and this is the best you can do?

And why don't you try some grammar lessons, your use of the English language is an embarrassment to all drivers.
He's alway talking smack about the union carriers im thinking he's jeleous of our pension & benefits. I'm thinking his employer doesn't offer them along with overtime....

Not everyone is in central states, other plans are doing just fine....
Every benefit the teamsters have seems to be much better than what I have at Conway. You guys go! As far as failing pension funds, why not combine all the teamsters pension funds so no one has to take cuts?

Well, Bro. Pltjack,.....It's probably better that the individual funds don't get combined into Superfunds. The average rank-and-file guy loses the ability to vote for the Local officers who get onto the Local Joint Council Area and end up being Trustees for that Fund. You must be an elected Officer to be voted a Trustee of the Pension Fund. There are roughly 170 individual Teamster Multi-Employer Plans across the U.S. and Canada,....Some are in Red-Zone status, and must provide the Government a 10 year rehabilitation plan that will restore viability to the plan , according to the Pension Protection Act of 2006,......and some funds are funded at 80-90%,.....and some are even higher. Combining some of these funds would make the Trustees a little less culpable to the rank-and-file. Central States is a perfect example of that very thing. Even though the Fund that I'm in (W. Pa. Joint Council #40), is in Red Zone Status,.....the rehabilitation plan,....approved by the Government, because the Government backs our pensions through the Pension Benefit Guarantee Insurance Board,.....provides for no cuts in benefits, if you've vested at a certain time, and have roughly 20 years into the pension. I'll get out in two years,....less , actually,...with 30 year's cumulative service between nine companies, and a benefit of $3600.00 a month, roughly,.....I'll be 62, and am at the minimum age for Social Security,....Tack on another $1642 a month,........and the only way you'll get me in a truck after that, is if Freightliner starts building hearses.......

Bro. ABFer:.....Thanks.........You handled the above list of questions from a querelous and dubious person much better than I would have. I was clearing my decks for action, and loading all the verbal cannons,....when you stepped into the breach, and neatly handled all of that gentleman's queries. I could ask him a list of my own questions pertaining to the Worker's Paradise that he seems to be employed at....to wit:............Who says your 401(k) will be around when you attempt to retire?..Wall Street?..........Didn't you take a pay cut when the Union carriers did?....Because your employer can do it at any time,....if they FEEL like it.............As far as all of the other ......."allegations"......If you're going to quote right out of the Union-Buster's handbook, you'd better provide the figures to go with the innuendos,....otherwise, we'd think you're making up base slanders.................And..............As Bro. ABFer succinctly put it,....Try to use the spell-check, and make an attempt at grammar,.....so you reasonably sound like English is your native language......