ABF | Attention Fed Ex and Conway

Social security is next. There will probably be means testing. If you were a hard working person and responsible with your money the govt. will take from you and give to the guy that did not want to get out of bed and go to work.

First of all the PBGC only guarantees to pay $13k per person per year if your pension does go under

Hammer, as employees we did not pay anything for this minimum guarantee of 13K a year. What is your minimum guarantee and how much did you pay for it?

. Many of your brothers could see that $4000 per month turn into less than $1100 when they are taken over by the PBGC. I control my 401k not the clowns who have monkeyed up most of the union pensions.

Hammer, I am curious about this statement so I have a few question please; (1)in your 401k can you tell me what funds you are allowed to invest in, (2) the name of the fund manager(s), (3) what is the expense ration of these funds and do these funds carry 12b1 fees, (4) and what is the expense ratio for the company who manages the 401k plan? You control your 401k retirement account so the expenses should easily accessible. I eagerly await your reply!

Hammer, your 401k management company is vanguard http://plantoday.van.fedex.com/plan/your-401k-plan which is one of the cheapest fund management companies around but still you have an expense for them to managing your account. Additionally, you will have expenses related to the funds you choose to put your money into. Also, it looks like you have to contribute to your 401k to get the company match. If you don't contribute, then you don't get any money from the company. And you loose the option of “timing the market” or buying into mutual funds on down days and are forced into dollar cost averaging. As you pointed out, our pension fund is actively managed so the fund managers can hold cash reserves and wait until the market is down, like it was last October, before buying into the market.

FTn93OT.jpg

Hammer, does your 401k look like this?

First of all the PBGC only guarantees to pay $13k per person per year if your pension does go under. Second of all the government just passed a bill to basically force underfunded pensions to cut benefits to current and future retirees. Looks like the so called guaranteed union pensions aren't guaranteed at all. I believe staying non union and keeping my 401k and pension currently in effect at Fedex is the better option. You can keep your union. We will be fine without it. P.s while ABF and YRC were taking pay cuts or givebacks or whatever you want to call them we were getting raises. We also haven't given up vacation time either like your companies have. Just don't think the grass would be greener.
You have a right to not want to join us. That is fine with me. But let's get all the facts straight. We the union drivers have for many years made more money hourly than the non union drivers we have and still receive overtime after eight hours. We also have a compensation that pays into a pension fund for our retirement. You speak of some of them being in a state of some day being under funded and MAYBE reduced. Even if that happened it would be to the minority of union funds not the majority.

Now let's look at facts not HATRED. We union driver will definitely receive a defined pension at retirement either way and that pension will be at a cost to the companies we worked for not out of pocket like your 401K. We can still retire at 57 and if I am not mistaken you can not withdrawal funds form your 401k for retirement until 59 and a half without a severe penalty.

And when you do retire and begin withdrawing from your 401k you will not have the luxury of have a retirement health care plan through your company for the years you worked there. You now pay a premium weekly or monthly for your health care we union drivers don't. We have insurance available to us for the rest of our lives and that of our spouses.

As for the vacations they are still better or equal to yours you just don't have all the facts. Here is our time off package. We get two days off for Christmas, Two days off for Thanksgiving. We get the Fourth of July off, We get Labor Day off, We get memorial Day off and News years day.
Which you probably receive most but not all these days off.

Then on to the vacation matter you spoke of. As for paid time off we can take up to six weeks and one day off besides the above mentioned days and more for Teamsters that live in other conferences. We can max out at 5 weeks vacation 5 sick days and 1 personal holiday. I don't think your time off package is better than that.

From where I am standing it would appear that we still have a better overall package with protection rights under a contract that is agreed to by all parties involved and which gives us union drivers rights in the form of laws by the fact we have a signed and agreed to contract you do not have such protections.

And these driver are facts not what if's and what not's. So if you do not want these benefits and rights that is fine keep making less and feeling like you are better than(by the way if your 401K did not loose it's butt in the great recession you are the best) If I were you I would not worry that could never happen again(lol). YOUR STATING THE FACTS BROTHER ALWAYS!

Last edited:
You have a right to not want to join us. That is fine with me. But let's get all the facts straight. We the union drivers have for many years made more money hourly than the non union drivers we have and still receive overtime after eight hours. We also have a compensation that pays into a pension fund for our retirement. You speak of some of them being in a state of some day being under funded and MAYBE reduced. Even if that happened it would be to the minority of union funds not the majority.

Now let's look at facts not HATRED. We union driver will definitely receive a defined pension at retirement either way and that pension will be at a cost to the companies we worked for not out of pocket like your 401K. We can still retire at 57 and if I am not mistaken you can not withdrawal funds form your 401k for retirement until 59 and a half without a severe penalty.

And when you do retire and begin withdrawing from your 401k you will not have the luxury of have a retirement health care plan through your company for the years you worked there. You now pay a premium weekly or monthly for your health care we union drivers don't. We have insurance available to us for the rest of our lives and that of our spouses.

As for the vacations they are still better or equal to yours you just don't have all the facts. Here is our time off package. We get two days off for Christmas, Two days off for Thanksgiving. We get the Fourth of July off, We get Labor Day off, We get memorial Day off and News years day.
Which you probably receive most but not all these days off.

Then on to the vacation matter you spoke of. As for paid time off we can take up to six weeks and one day off besides the above mentioned days and more for Teamsters that live in other conferences. We can max out at 5 weeks vacation 5 sick days and 1 personal holiday. I don't think your time off package is better than that.

From where I am standing it would appear that we still have a better overall package with protection rights under a contract that is agreed to by all parties involved and which gives us union drivers rights in the form of laws by the fact we have a signed and agreed to contract you do not have such protections.

And these driver are facts not what if's and what not's. So if you do not want these benefits and rights that is fine keep making less and feeling like you are better than(by the way if your 401K did not loose it's butt in the great recession you are the best) If I were you I would not worry that could never happen again(lol). YOUR STATING FACTS BROTHER ALWAYS!
No doubt. You have a great pay and benefits package by contract. And of course work rules. I don't believe anyone can argue that. Some people do seem to get along without all the guarantees. As an older Conway employee it would be fantastic to have that pension. I know that it is not going to happen at our company. If Conway wants to slow down the union organizing, bringing back some sort of pension would be the answer. I have been thinking about singing a card. Cant quite bring myself to do that yet. I have to think a lot of people at my barn are thinking the same way. Just one year ago I wasn't to the point of signing a card. If Conway was smart they would up the ante. I have to think the organizing is bringing about the changes we are experiencing. I think upper management shot themselves in the foot by the way they have been taking things from us for so long. The jokers at the top have no vision on how to take care of there people. Take care of us, we take care of them.
Just my humble opinion.

Pallet Jack, I have been on both sides and I prefer the union side. I am not trying to push anyone into joining but the grass is greener over here.

Go to the YRC board and you will see plenty to confirm what I am saying about most of the union pensions. Of course you probably know already just being obtuse and evasive. Glad your particular pension seems to be ok because most are not. Maybe you would share some of yours with those poor guys in the pensions that are struggling. After all you are all united, one for all and all for one. Lol
How long have you been in this industry? And what other Ltl's have you worked for? Both union and non.

No doubt. You have a great pay and benefits package by contract. And of course work rules. I don't believe anyone can argue that. Some people do seem to get along without all the guarantees. As an older Conway employee it would be fantastic to have that pension. I know that it is not going to happen at our company. If Conway wants to slow down the union organizing, bringing back some sort of pension would be the answer. I have been thinking about singing a card. Cant quite bring myself to do that yet. I have to think a lot of people at my barn are thinking the same way. Just one year ago I wasn't to the point of signing a card. If Conway was smart they would up the ante. I have to think the organizing is bringing about the changes we are experiencing. I think upper management shot themselves in the foot by the way they have been taking things from us for so long. The jokers at the top have no vision on how to take care of there people. Take care of us, we take care of them.
Just my humble opinion.

But...but...but I thought your goal was to show us how much greener it is on your side of the fence??? :shrug:

One has to admit that $130,000 wouldn't go far as a complete retirement sum but that is one savings account in addition to his fully paid pension and I could make it go a long way to enhance my retirement.
If his pension is one of the few that will be "fully paid" after the new pension law he should do fine..

Translation, under 10 years and nobody but FedEx. Fedex train you to drive while you were indoctrinated, did they?
Started in trucking before CDL licenses, when it was called a class A chauffeurs license. You do the math. Oh that's right teamsters don't know basic math, just look at your Ponzi oops I mean pension. Lol