XPO | Attn: Drivers. A question for you and maybe some answers.

lean is not just a manufacturing program. Lean comes from World War II and originated as a document titled Training Within Industry. Lean is standard process and problem solving. Fifty guys have fifty opinions that they are doing their job correctly, so how, as their boss do you decide who is right and who is wrong? How do you decide a process is inefficient if it is done fifty different ways? Lean within LTL does not have an owners manual... we are writing it.

If the job is getting done who cares? We are not building a rocket here, there are variances on how we all do the same thing. Efficiency should be pretty obvious.

If the job is getting done who cares? We are not building a rocket here, there are variances on how we all do the same thing. Efficiency should be pretty obvious.

It's just like any other bureaucracy... it doesn't matter if the job gets done, what matters is that you do it THEIR WAY! To hell with common sense!

To many chiefs now at Con-way. Most of us like are jobs. The stress levels are going up. Every time I go out on street I fear for my job and my family. I spend more time with con-way then I do with my family. There is no loyalty anymore with management. They are not making this job better they are putting more rules. They stripped us of a lot of bennies and damages they don't want to blame who is causing the damages. To many people trying to change the wheel, When the wheel is not broke. I think some stuff on lean is good. They don't want the truth. I don't blame lower management. This all comes from the top. What company fires a driver for dropping trailer. Hopefully it never happens but it does. I don't see management getting fired over a paper cut or a wrecked car. I luv my job but it is getting very hard with all the bs changes. Most of the people I talk to r fed up to. Not just drivers either. Maybe you should ask some people you work with. Make sure it is someone that will tell you the truth and not sugar coat it like some guys will. It is time for a change for employees and not wall street. Con-way can be a good place to work for again.

Some people will never Strive For more they will never look for fault they will continue to accept what they have always gotten they wont expect better for more work ! that s why you have 20 -30 year lifers working at places like McDonald's ! They will not rock the Boat even a little they will continue to defend the Corporate monster whom Rapes them everyday ! I feel Sorry for these people I work hard everyday I do the best I can for this Company everyday even though they continue to make their crazy demands I will continue to give them the best But when I do Remember this I do still have a right to Complain about it I have earned it !

huh, I don't get it. You get paid for every minute you work whether you are pushing a broom, loading freight, doing a pre-trip, or driving. I've seen guys cleaning toilets for minimum wage care more about their job performance than some I call co-workers.

You can give some fifty dollars an hour to do our job and they would still find someone else to blame for their poor attitude and performance.

I call bullcrap, they told us here in old CCX-land, when the operating ratio was something like 98% for 2 consecutive months, the match would be restored. 3% isn't crap, I would rather have the match than 3 measley percent. Remember when they suspended the pension and touted how much better a deal the 401k was going to be for us? We'll never be able to retire. Just another lie by the suits. They can do anything to move the numbers.
That's why we are union here at Holland. We bargain collectively. We have our issues too, but we don't have to put up with the crap that you're being subjected to.

huh, I don't get it. You get paid for every minute you work whether you are pushing a broom, loading freight, doing a pre-trip, or driving. I've seen guys cleaning toilets for minimum wage care more about their job performance than some I call co-workers.

You can give some fifty dollars an hour to do our job and they would still find someone else to blame for their poor attitude and performance.

The money is good or most of us wouldn't stay.

Money however isn't the object of all things.

You have obviously never run linehaul before.

I sat around for 3 HOURS on Thursday night waiting for my loads. Pretty sure I'm not getting paid for that! But you can bet your ass if I was 15 minutes late and my loads were ready, I would have got an ass-chewing for it.
That' your fault then. When they call you in your have 3 options. 1. Sit around and wait and not get paid. 2. Get on the clock and work while you wait. 3. Leave and get a new report to work time. If you chose option number 1 that's your own dumb fault. This is spelled out in the policy book for everyone to see.

That' your fault then. When they call you in your have 3 options. 1. Sit around and wait and not get paid. 2. Get on the clock and work while you wait. 3. Leave and get a new report to work time. If you chose option number 1 that's your own dumb fault. This is spelled out in the policy book for everyone to see.

It don't work that way at our barn. you only have one choice and that is to wait,

You honestly believe all barns Follow Policy the same they write there own book they Follow there own Policy it changes daily to suit them !

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen is the core problem with management at this company. It's "MY" fault for waiting. Couldn't possibly be management that is to blame for stuff like this. Nevermind the fact that there were 3-4 trailers worth of freight sitting on the dock waiting to be loaded, it's my fault. I was more than willing to work the dock, and could have probably got 3 loads ready real quick with all that freight sitting out there. But was told NO!

But it gets better! I started my log when I reported to work, and ran out of hours about 50 miles away from home on my way back. Guess who's fault it was again? Mine! They told me I shouldn't have started my log until I punched to go hook. Guess again, Jack. If I'm sitting around here donating my time for nothing, you're going to reap the benefits of paying me cushion time after running out of hours. It's the drivers fault no matter what!

Here's an idea.. don't start a topic about this stuff and then come up with snarky insulting answers trying to pass the buck when people respond to it. The sooner management realizes that they are not infallible, and more often than not are the CAUSE of most of these problems, the sooner this company might actually turn around. I'm not holding my breath though, that's for sure...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

It don't work that way at our barn. you only have one choice and that is to wait,
At our place, everybody gets there early to make sure they get their truck and clean it up..idk, but i've never heard anybody complaining about waiting. they're there anyways..not an issue. besides everything is just about ready for the gate times. anybody complaining about this is just reaching for something to complain about.

Your dead on with your facts..except, the 3% never stopped..the "transition" stopped but not the 3%. You can check your past statements and you'll see..but your dead on on the rest of it.

You might be right. I'd like to check my past statements, but Con-Way blocked my access to the employee portal the day I retired. I couldn't even get my statements for the 2 paychecks I received in arrears.

They will love it because all the drivers at top pay will be gone and their payroll will be low as can be. Unfortunately that also means they will be just another mediocre freight company with a revolving door in the personnel department...

I've been hearing that since the day I was hired 15+ years ago.

How am I baiting them? if you don't want to know don't ask. Just keep your head in the sand and pretend you know everything. It worked for all of us when we were teenagers and knew everything. I've been in this industry for 15 years and learn something new everyday.
o.k mr white shirt not trying to be an ********* here. but everything they have conveyed to me I have listened and understood. my issue with mgmt at my facility is that although I have incorporated these things into my everyday functions. why is it that because mgmt lowered their standard on hiring the drivers who comply with all the mandates have to continuously sit in meetings about the same thing over & over again & again. I know how tough it is to be an fos my son was one for about 3yrs. and I appreciate your efforts but it gets mind numbing to hear the same people drone on & on. I know you will probably think I'm a know it all. but I would be confident to let my con-way or career record speak for itself.

o.k mr white shirt not trying to be an ********* here. but everything they have conveyed to me I have listened and understood. my issue with mgmt at my facility is that although I have incorporated these things into my everyday functions. why is it that because mgmt lowered their standard on hiring the drivers who comply with all the mandates have to continuously sit in meetings about the same thing over & over again & again. I know how tough it is to be an fos my son was one for about 3yrs. and I appreciate your efforts but it gets mind numbing to hear the same people drone on & on. I know you will probably think I'm a know it all. but I would be confident to let my con-way or career record speak for itself.

YES! EXACTLY! They dumb down the hiring process and hire a bunch of LESS than qualified drivers. Then when all kinds of crap gets done wrong and equipment gets tore up, they think they have to dumb down everything to their level, and then can't imagine why all the competent drivers stop giving a crap.

I'm sick of hearing about dropped trailers just as much as management is, but don't sit there and get pissed that stuff gets screwed up when you have a bunch of newbs working for you.

Same goes for the Drivecam coaching BS. At our barn, we have a driver with like 2 years experience coaching guys who have worked here since before he was born! And the SCM gets rip roaring mad because none of the guys respect him. Well duh, genius. You really think anyone will? Same when the SCM (who has never driven a truck, EVER) wants to coach us about this stuff. Yeah, ok dude... you take a 70 foot long truck through Chicago and pedal freight for a few years and then MAYBE I'll think about respecting your input on the subject.

Got the Same Issue at my Barn it seems all the Butt Sniffers are Newbies with less than 10 years most have less then 5 with the company and they are the So Called Professional Drivers Coaching everyone .?
So I guess that means everyone else is incompitant Compared to these highly educated Driver Trainers whom Coach us !
makes me Sick a man is here three weeks and is already the Resident know it all we have a few of them here !

YES! EXACTLY! They dumb down the hiring process and hire a bunch of LESS than qualified drivers. Then when all kinds of crap gets done wrong and equipment gets tore up, they think they have to dumb down everything to their level, and then can't imagine why all the competent drivers stop giving a crap.

I'm sick of hearing about dropped trailers just as much as management is, but don't sit there and get pissed that stuff gets screwed up when you have a bunch of newbs working for you.

Same goes for the Drivecam coaching BS. At our barn, we have a driver with like 2 years experience coaching guys who have worked here since before he was born! And the SCM gets rip roaring mad because none of the guys respect him. Well duh, genius. You really think anyone will? Same when the SCM (who has never driven a truck, EVER) wants to coach us about this stuff. Yeah, ok dude... you take a 70 foot long truck through Chicago and pedal freight for a few years and then MAYBE I'll think about respecting your input on the subject.

White Shirt how are you saving money lean wise when you have driver's supervisors running all over the dang place with clip boards monitoring everyone ? I see hundreds of dollars being wasted here on foolishness ? And since Y'all need to check what we doing so frequently so you know what it is we are doing when are we going to follow you the fos and fom around with clip boards and make sure your doing all you can do for the Greater Good of Con~way !! I mean y'all don't trust us why should we trust you !!