Holland | August 2008 U.E. Change Of Operations

dokman

TB Veteran
Credits
We received C.O.O. from BA On 8-15-08, Original fax came from Holland Central Dispatch efax.
This is what Page 4 Bidding states

BIDDING

This Utility Employee Change of Operations will create one-hundred eighty six (186) new local cartage position.

The Company will comply with the senority application decision of the Committee.However,the Company propose the following job opportunity proposal for the National Utility Employee Review Committee's considerations:

* All Utility Employee positions would be bid terminal by terminal and all currently qualified road employess may bid to these new positions by senority at his/her present domicile.Any un-filled positions may be bid by local cartage employees by senority at his/her present domicile.

* Employees awarded such bids will remain on the bid until January 2009, after that they will bid on the next annual or semi-annual bid provided for in the supplement.

The sign up sheets will be posted at the domiciles for seven (7) days.

TheCompany seeks to implement the UE COO no sooner than September 29,2008.

Based on current economic conditions this proposed COO will have no affect on current local cartage operations.

In today's economic enviroment and excess capacity, the Company's opportunity to grow revenue diminishes every day. It is essential that this UE COO be approved by the National UE Review Comittee and emplemeted as proposed, which is no sooner than Sept.29,2008 to avoid the consequences of lost revenue and jobs.

This is everthing on page 4 (after the sign up sheets line I used abbrevations foe UE, COO and Sept.)

The locals that are affected by this are as follows,
7,20,24,26,40,89,100,135,164,179,200,215,238,299,325,364,371,377,406,407,413,414,486,505,600,614,651,710,916,957,375,397,449,538,612.

I hope this info helps answer some questions, It does not sound like the contract that was voted on.

The COO will still have a hearing. I do hope that this will be the way the UE position is bid. At Holland, road work is taken from the road and given to the city. Road men should follow their work. I know that we do not want the UE. However, it is here and we should make the process fair for everyone.

The COO will still have a hearing. I do hope that this will be the way the UE position is bid. At Holland, road work is taken from the road and given to the city. Road men should follow their work. I know that we do not want the UE. However, it is here and we should make the process fair for everyone.

For what it's worth I agree 100%:1036316054:

This whole COO is all BS!!! Had we have been properly informed when we voted,we most likely would`nt be having this discussion.In the long run all this will create is more discention among local and road drivers!!

well I never understood taking road work and bids to create local carthage work (UE) and giving the local carthage an equal opportunity to bid on those jobs ..... and especially stating in the COO that it doesnt affect the local carthage operation ...

This whole COO is all BS!!! Had we have been properly informed when we voted,we most likely would`nt be having this discussion.In the long run all this will create is more discention among local and road drivers!!

I agree with your statement. I was against this from the beginning. The contract proposals did not match the promises. This is exactly why everyone should educate themselves and VOTE! Now it is to late. The IBT lied to all of us and all we can hope for is a process that will be fair.

Very good info for all of us dokman, thanks. I understand better now, the company is trying to change what they've done on the previous UE COO's with Holland so far. This is a proposal that may or may not get approved and they are asking to do it differently from what was agreed to. Fair enough, I had heard earlier this year that they might try to do the same thing but only allowing city men to bid and then if enough of them didn't then the road men would get to. I was against that and personally I'm against this also, because of our two board system. Nothing personal to anybody thats just my opinion about this issue. If a road man, with 5 years seniority, crossed over to the city 5 years ago and now he bids on a UE job he only has 5 years of bidding rights and doesn't move up on the city board. If that same person had stayed on the road board and now bids on a city UE bid he goes to the city board with 10 years seniority, how is that fair? I don't think any of this is fair and I wish it would go away but it won't. This is just another attempt to drive a wedge between we Union members to weaken us all. Just remember for every reason a road man can give that this is a fair deal, a city man can counter it with a reason why its not. Its just a bad deal period, lets not let the company get between us no matter how it goes. We need to stick together either way it goes and be there for one another. Stay Strong!

Let's think about this...can't anybody figure out that the people thinking up all this stuff are highly paid, very smart people, and not to knock us, we are truck drivers. Not saying we aren't smart, but if we were that smart, we would bemaking 7 figures. I don't care if you have 30 years experience as a union employee, these people are paid to be smarter than us. What makes up our union leadership? Probably ex-drivers without law degrees or something of the like. Our leadership has sold us down the river, and in our local we were told we didn't have an option of accepting the UE.It was a done deal and we had no choice. Benny was right when he said the company is trying to weaken us. I am sure they haven't tried, they have succeeded!! Let's wake up !! If the company wants us to do something, 99% of the time it is for their good, not ours. Let's quit being so selfish and get back to the brotherhood. It makes me sick to hear my co-workers bragging about the 20 hours overtime they have each week. Do they care how many are laid off or how many have quit and moved on to other jobs because they couldn't play the layoff game with the company anymore? I see guys leaving in these huge yuppie houses in yuppie neighborhoods next door to these people who make me sick. I would much rather bank a little for hard times or just retire 5 or 10 years early rather than living next door to some a***hole and having to work 20 hours OT to do it,while putting a brother out of work. Hope you have a great life yuppie want to be.

Hope you have a great life yuppie want to be.

Ok, was that directed at someone in particular or just the hypothetical person "out there" ?
Because if it is the former it sounds like calling names and we are trying to avoid that.

Ok, was that directed at someone in particular or just the hypothetical person "out there" ?
Because if it is the former it sounds like calling names and we are trying to avoid that.
I took it as he was just saying it to anybody that fits in to the category of self-centered, greedy, two-faced, backstabbing, low life, non caring for anybody else, types. You know, hypothetically speaking, because we all know we don't have anybody like that at Holland. :toxic: Now if he had put a name or said that to someone by user name he would have broken rule 2. I think he got his point across within the rules this time. :1036316054: I first thought he was talking to me but then I saw he said yuppie and not yucky :puke:, lol.

I've complained about people working 20 hours over when people are laid off for over 15 years now. The only answer I get is "I got seniority". I don't do it and I wish other people would do it. But you are right Boiler, it's all about greed, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Reality SUCKS!!

Let's think about this...can't anybody figure out that the people thinking up all this stuff are highly paid, very smart people, and not to knock us, we are truck drivers. Not saying we aren't smart, but if we were that smart, we would bemaking 7 figures. I don't care if you have 30 years experience as a union employee, these people are paid to be smarter than us. What makes up our union leadership? Probably ex-drivers without law degrees or something of the like. Our leadership has sold us down the river, and in our local we were told we didn't have an option of accepting the UE.It was a done deal and we had no choice. Benny was right when he said the company is trying to weaken us. I am sure they haven't tried, they have succeeded!! Let's wake up !! If the company wants us to do something, 99% of the time it is for their good, not ours. Let's quit being so selfish and get back to the brotherhood. It makes me sick to hear my co-workers bragging about the 20 hours overtime they have each week. Do they care how many are laid off or how many have quit and moved on to other jobs because they couldn't play the layoff game with the company anymore? I see guys leaving in these huge yuppie houses in yuppie neighborhoods next door to these people who make me sick. I would much rather bank a little for hard times or just retire 5 or 10 years early rather than living next door to some a***hole and having to work 20 hours OT to do it,while putting a brother out of work. Hope you have a great life yuppie want to be.

First of all young blood you sound a little bitter. For your information there is no Company conspiracy, no Union conspiracy, the sides got together they agreed on the results it was voted on and accepted by the majority, nothing that you can do about it. Get over it, I hate to see or read about a man that cries:GrowUp:

People with high seniority have every right to work all the OT that they want, or not, so what is your beef ,man? if you had the high seniority you would do the same thing, and don't kid yourself that you wouldn't.

People might be living (I think that's you meant) in big yuppie houses, so what!, and if they were, it's none of you DA** business. I think that you are actually getting physically ill over all of this, so instead of getting an ulcer and going to the hospital don't worry so much about other people, man. Your "brother" that is laid off would not give a s**t about you.
Reality SUCKS!!!!:shrug:

Sorry to break the news to you like this but you sound like a good guy, so take it easy:1036316054:

GBA:USA:

Very good info for all of us dokman, thanks. I understand better now, the company is trying to change what they've done on the previous UE COO's with Holland so far. This is a proposal that may or may not get approved and they are asking to do it differently from what was agreed to. Fair enough, I had heard earlier this year that they might try to do the same thing but only allowing city men to bid and then if enough of them didn't then the road men would get to. I was against that and personally I'm against this also, because of our two board system. Nothing personal to anybody thats just my opinion about this issue. If a road man, with 5 years seniority, crossed over to the city 5 years ago and now he bids on a UE job he only has 5 years of bidding rights and doesn't move up on the city board. If that same person had stayed on the road board and now bids on a city UE bid he goes to the city board with 10 years seniority, how is that fair? I don't think any of this is fair and I wish it would go away but it won't. This is just another attempt to drive a wedge between we Union members to weaken us all. Just remember for every reason a road man can give that this is a fair deal, a city man can counter it with a reason why its not. Its just a bad deal period, lets not let the company get between us no matter how it goes. We need to stick together either way it goes and be there for one another. Stay Strong!

I don't want to start a war here. Forget the contract language and all of the hype and emotions. I have just one question. What type of work is the UE doing? If you say mostly road work then you will agree that the road man should follow their work. If anyone can show me how the UE at Holland is doing mostly city work then I will drop this issue.

What the majority of people voted on was the information distributed by the IBT and the Company. The information that was issued through word of mouth from most Locals and print mailers from the IBT was not what was voted in by a majority. I believe this qualifies as a conspiracy. I do not think JOLOCO is bitter and I agree with him 100%. Maybe the majority of our members do not care about anyone except for themselves. I say that these Me, Me, Me generation are not fit to carry the Teamster name or breathe the same air as a real Teamster. So if JOLOCO is bitter, then so am I. Someone must try to remind all of us what Unity is about. Even if your Brother to the right is a selfish a**hole, then it is your job to set him straight. Brotherhood and Unity must be found again. It is never too late. Some of us will never surrender to that's just the way it is. If everyone were like that, there would have never been the first Teamster. So I hate to break it to you like this, but some of us are not Chicken S**t want-a-bees. I know that we cannot change what has happened. We can only learn, spread the word, and Vote in better Leadership. Then we can focus on rebuilding the Honor and dignity to the Teamster name. Then maybe the next contract will be better and we can start to grow the ranks of the Teamster Driver again.

I don't want to start a war here. Forget the contract language and all of the hype and emotions. I have just one question. What type of work is the UE doing? If you say mostly road work then you will agree that the road man should follow their work. If anyone can show me how the UE at Holland is doing mostly city work then I will drop this issue.

You're right you don't want to start a war, I have an old Russian briefcase nuke, lol. All joking a side, what you say is just as important as the next guy, no more and no less. I agree that you're correct in most everything that you think and say. I too feel that I and people that think like I do are correct. I agree that it was road work and now it is city work. I don't like it any more than you or anyone else does. My point is this, its the way it is and we will have to deal with it the best way we can. I'm not saying this is true, but I was told from a city steward from another Union company here in Louisville, his terminal manger told him that he shouldn't worry to much about the road coming over to the city because after December 31, 2008 all UE bids would come from the city only and the road would not get to bid at all without first crossing over to the city. This is a good friend and wouldn't make this up on his own. We have to stick together no matter how it goes Brother. Again, I respect your and everyone else's opinion on TB, express yourself fully, within the rules of course. You don't have to convince me of anything, I'm safe as long as Hollands stays around for a while and I think they will. In a few months things will be back to normal and we will be busy again, I hope. :1036316054:

good post .... like I said b4 ... established road work and road bids were canceled to provide work for the u.e. position ..... road guys should follow their work... :1036316054: its road work only changed to u.e. position and classified local carthage work to get the road drivers on hourly wage to save money..

Coffee time

What the majority of people voted on was the information distributed by the IBT and the Company. The information that was issued through word of mouth from most Locals and print mailers from the IBT was not what was voted in by a majority. I believe this qualifies as a conspiracy. I do not think JOLOCO is bitter and I agree with him 100%. Maybe the majority of our members do not care about anyone except for themselves. I say that these Me, Me, Me generation are not fit to carry the Teamster name or breathe the same air as a real Teamster. So if JOLOCO is bitter, then so am I. Someone must try to remind all of us what Unity is about. Even if your Brother to the right is a selfish a**hole, then it is your job to set him straight. Brotherhood and Unity must be found again. It is never too late. Some of us will never surrender to that's just the way it is. If everyone were like that, there would have never been the first Teamster. So I hate to break it to you like this, but some of us are not Chicken S**t want-a-bees. I know that we cannot change what has happened. We can only learn, spread the word, and Vote in better Leadership. Then we can focus on rebuilding the Honor and dignity to the Teamster name. Then maybe the next contract will be better and we can start to grow the ranks of the Teamster Driver again.

Hello, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.:smilie_132: