Holland | August 2008 U.E. Change Of Operations

I have just one question. What type of work is the UE doing? If anyone can show me how the UE at Holland is doing mostly city work then I will drop this issue.
Just a thought, as far as the UE bids goes at our barn. The 3 men that are on UE bids in LO go to Nashville every night like a mini road bid. 2.5 hours down and 2.5 hours back for a total of 5 hours. The rest of their 11 to 12 hour day is spent hooking their equipment at open terminals, moving freight in and out of trailers at open terminals and dropping their trailers at their open home terminal. I know its really close but other than driving to and from a terminal that's out of their own terminals area, it seems that most everything else would be a city mans work, am I incorrect? So wouldn't 6 to 7 hours of the UE's job be city work? Let's say 5 out of 11.5 hours every night is road work and the other 6.5 hours is city. Then if thats correct its 43% road work and 57% city work, right? Thats close to 50-50 so shouldn't both road and city be allowed to bid on this UE thing equally? Just another way to look at this issue, maybe I'm wrong about the hours else where, but thats how it works at our barn.

How about the UE position out of SP ? Was told that he normally does a double SP - CN flip ? Or the UE guys running into AT and when they are out of UE frt hook up to LTL headed north ? Seems to me just the elimination of line-haul work. Just food for thought.

.... Or the UE guys running into AT and when they are out of UE frt hook up to LTL headed north ?....t.

What does this mean? Do the UE guys pick up a loaded ltl and go peddle say in CT? Or are they peddling freight in northern AT.
Or are they taking a load to another terminal?
I don't understand.

What does this mean? Do the UE guys pick up a loaded ltl and go peddle say in CT? Or are they peddling freight in northern AT.
Or are they taking a load to another terminal?
I don't understand.

So far the UE's at Holland are not delivering any freight. They are leaving around 2100 from (for example) SP to CN working on the dock and then return to SP. They take a SP LTL load or a ME or AT load back to SP. Or they are going from Youngstown to Harrisburg and doing the same. The UE's are handling normal LTL freight that the Road Drivers normally handle. The only thing they do different is that they can work a trailer if the terminal is open. When the get back to their home terminal they can work on the dock for OT. This is why the Road Drivers are upset. The UE's are NOT doing the job that was described, they are not handling any new freight. They are not completing any pickups or deliveries of expedited freight. They are simply moving Regular one, two, or three day LTL freight by-the-hour instead of by-the-mile.

Just a thought, as far as the UE bids goes at our barn. The 3 men that are on UE bids in LO go to Nashville every night like a mini road bid. 2.5 hours down and 2.5 hours back for a total of 5 hours. The rest of their 11 to 12 hour day is spent hooking their equipment at open terminals, moving freight in and out of trailers at open terminals and dropping their trailers at their open home terminal. I know its really close but other than driving to and from a terminal that's out of their own terminals area, it seems that most everything else would be a city mans work, am I incorrect? So wouldn't 6 to 7 hours of the UE's job be city work? Let's say 5 out of 11.5 hours every night is road work and the other 6.5 hours is city. Then if thats correct its 43% road work and 57% city work, right? Thats close to 50-50 so shouldn't both road and city be allowed to bid on this UE thing equally? Just another way to look at this issue, maybe I'm wrong about the hours else where, but thats how it works at our barn.

by using established road bids and established road work ....road bids are being canceled system wide for this deal .... road drivers should follow their work ... road drivers already worked the dock just as u e does now

Example : A UE driver comes into a foriegn terminal and finds the dock clean. He is then told to go out and hook a load that dosen't have any frt for his terminal but is going on to a another point further down the line.He takes it home only to be moved by another later on. UE was NOT created for this or so we were told. I guess the jokes on us now.Wonder why the line-haul men are upset and the local cartage say well that's just the way it goes.

by using established road bids and established road work ....road bids are being canceled system wide for this deal .... road drivers should follow their work ... road drivers already worked the dock just as u e does now
I'm not trying to argue with anybody, I'm just debating the points of this issue and I want to be convinced that I'm wrong, I'm open to that anytime.

I'll agree that they are canceling road bids for the city UE position. Road drivers are allowed to follow their work if they have enough time to win a bid for a city UE bid. This was voted on and passed in the current contract, I'm sorry to say. Yes, we were mislead by the wording they gave us, but we fell for it, I'm also sorry to say. The UE men are working the dock at open terminals, road men can't work the dock if the terminal is open. The city UE men can hook, drop and fuel their own equipment at an open terminal, road men can't. I say at an open terminal because the office is staffed by people doing paperwork and there is management on the dock and in the office directing people on what to do and generally doing business as usual when a terminal is open. The road men worked the dock doing a kick and pick, the UE man does what ever dock work that is needed to do. I'll agree this is not what some people thought they were voting on, but it was and now we're up the creek without a paddle. Just my counterpoint to your point, nothing personal here at all to anybody, you're all my brothers and sisters here and I respect each and every one of you deeply.

Example : A UE driver comes into a foriegn terminal and finds the dock clean. He is then told to go out and hook a load that dosen't have any frt for his terminal but is going on to a another point further down the line.He takes it home only to be moved by another later on. UE was NOT created for this or so we were told. I guess the jokes on us now.Wonder why the line-haul men are upset and the local cartage say well that's just the way it goes.

Very well said and I agree 100%. Its very sad to admit but its all true. We have all been deceived.

I'm not trying to argue with anybody, I'm just debating the points of this issue and I want to be convinced that I'm wrong, I'm open to that anytime.

I'll agree that they are canceling road bids for the city UE position. Road drivers are allowed to follow their work if they have enough time to win a bid for a city UE bid. This was voted on and passed in the current contract, I'm sorry to say. Yes, we were mislead by the wording they gave us, but we fell for it, I'm also sorry to say. The UE men are working the dock at open terminals, road men can't work the dock if the terminal is open. The city UE men can hook, drop and fuel their own equipment at an open terminal, road men can't. I say at an open terminal because the office is staffed by people doing paperwork and there is management on the dock and in the office directing people on what to do and generally doing business as usual when a terminal is open. The road men worked the dock doing a kick and pick, the UE man does what ever dock work that is needed to do. I'll agree this is not what some people thought they were voting on, but it was and now we're up the creek without a paddle. Just my counterpoint to your point, nothing personal here at all to anybody, you're all my brothers and sisters here and I respect each and every one of you deeply.

I understand that this has been voted on. However, two wrongs do not make a right. Now that we are seeing the truth, why can't we fix the problem and make this fair? If the UE's gained their work from Road freight and bids, why should they not be given the first chance to follow their work? I cannot accept the answer that "well, it's too late now." I think we should make the best of a bad situation. Also, if there are office and management people at a barn that does not make it an open terminal. There must be city men on duty to be considered an open terminal. The UE's were only slated to work utility freight and that is not the case. Again, I don't think any of us should accept that "we voted on this" We did not vote on the current application of the UE. So short of abolishing the UE position we should make this right for the affected road men.

I see your point but I don't know what can be done about it now. It may be to late to fix the wrongs that have been done to all of us, just my opinion.

Ok I understand better now but I expected this because... and I have danced around this but now I will come out and say it... YOU CAN'T BELIEVE ANYTHING ANYONE TELLS YOU. Only what is written down in a legal document.

I just broke my own rule and said "see I knew it"
What we need to do now is make sure that this doesn't divide us further and we need ot hold our representatives feet to the fire starting now so that they don't give anything else up in these committees and make sure they know we expect better next time

the UE man does what ever dock work that is needed to do. .
The UE is only supposed to pull freight from his trailer and put it in a "UE freight" designated area and load freight FROM that designated area.
That is one of the things we have to watch closely. If the UE is running up and down the dock and handling normal city freight then we need to file and take it as high as we can.

I agree. The UE man doesn't have a choice but to do as directed by the supervisor's and I'm sure several of them don't mind because it helps them to get more time each night, just my opinion.

You said it correctly, we have to start working together and not against each other. United we stand and divided we fall.

Our ba said we cant file (grievence) on proposal but we can protest the lanquage in the proposal and the committee will take protest in to cosideration

I understand that this has been voted on. However, two wrongs do not make a right. Now that we are seeing the truth, why can't we fix the problem and make this fair? If the UE's gained their work from Road freight and bids, why should they not be given the first chance to follow their work? I cannot accept the answer that "well, it's too late now." I think we should make the best of a bad situation. Also, if there are office and management people at a barn that does not make it an open terminal. There must be city men on duty to be considered an open terminal. The UE's were only slated to work utility freight and that is not the case. Again, I don't think any of us should accept that "we voted on this" We did not vote on the current application of the UE. So short of abolishing the UE position we should make this right for the affected road men.
OK Jarhead, you have used the word "fair" about 5 times now, and it looks like what you mean is "in the road drivers best interest". The company is obviously going to do whatever it wants with the UE. While right now it is affecting the road drivers more, whats to say that down the road, the UE wont be doing more city work? Since the UE "shall work across all classifications as assigned" and "there shall be no restrictions on the type of freight or work handled", the company can do whatever they want, whenever they want. Based on this, I believe the only "fair" way to do it is to open the UE bid to any qualified employee, and let company seniority prevail. (with full retreat rights to respective boards (if more than one) if bumped out on subsequent bid)

OK Jarhead, you have used the word "fair" about 5 times now, and it looks like what you mean is "in the road drivers best interest". The company is obviously going to do whatever it wants with the UE. While right now it is affecting the road drivers more, whats to say that down the road, the UE wont be doing more city work? Since the UE "shall work across all classifications as assigned" and "there shall be no restrictions on the type of freight or work handled", the company can do whatever they want, whenever they want. Based on this, I believe the only "fair" way to do it is to open the UE bid to any qualified employee, and let company seniority prevail. (with full retreat rights to respective boards (if more than one) if bumped out on subsequent bid)

I agree with you on the return rights. I also agree that the UE's may be doing something different in the future. The way I see things right now is that several Road Drivers are on layoff and several Road Bids have been lost to the UE. When the company adds more UE's in the future (and we know they will) we can asses the situation again. We can all agree that this is not what we voted on. Myself and other Drivers predicted that this would happen and urged everyone to vote no on this contract. The chance to stop this is gone. Anyone can look at the post that we made when this contract was proposed. Maybe I am biased for the Road Driver, I am on layoff from the Road. I am only saying that right now the UE positions a being fueled by mostly road work. Objectively I truly believe we should follow our work. If things were the opposite I would say so. I always believe and do what I think is right. I understand some have a different opinion, this is just my opinion.