Holland | August 2008 U.E. Change Of Operations

From a city mans point of view I dont really think to many city men will go to U/E.
If you work 10 hrs in city verses 10 in U/E you will make an extra $11 bucks, 11 hours $12.50, and 12 hours $14.00 bucks a day. I dont want to run nights and go work on a foriegn dock for a few extra bucks every day.It is not worth the drastic life style change.

From a city mans point of view I dont really think to many city men will go to U/E.
If you work 10 hrs in city verses 10 in U/E you will make an extra $11 bucks, 11 hours $12.50, and 12 hours $14.00 bucks a day. I dont want to run nights and go work on a foriegn dock for a few extra bucks every day.It is not worth the drastic life style change.
Same here. Nor would I want a yard bid but you have to pretty much be top ten around here to get all but the worst yard bids. Go figure.

to be honest i really dont care who bids on ue positions. all i care about is a road driver coming to ue and then bumping to city and retaining his senority. this is not right. too many cry baby road drivers and too many meester city drivers. lets face it. after this contract passed the union officially died. how could anyone ever trust our leaders who stabbed us in the back again? and they re all the same no matter who you vote in. its getting to the point to where i really dont care what happens to this company or our union. tired of all the *****ing and snitches. tired of all the guys who think the company owes them something. if everyone would have done their damned jobs and not screw off(like taking 30 min breaks and hour lunches. or laying out in the city to get more hours. or road drivers taking 2 hr naps) this contract would not have been necessary.

to be honest i really dont care who bids on ue positions. all i care about is a road driver coming to ue and then bumping to city and retaining his senority. this is not right. too many cry baby road drivers and too many meester city drivers. lets face it. after this contract passed the union officially died. how could anyone ever trust our leaders who stabbed us in the back again? and they re all the same no matter who you vote in. its getting to the point to where i really dont care what happens to this company or our union. tired of all the *****ing and snitches. tired of all the guys who think the company owes them something. if everyone would have done their damned jobs and not screw off(like taking 30 min breaks and hour lunches. or laying out in the city to get more hours. or road drivers taking 2 hr naps) this contract would not have been necessary.
WOW - now tell us how you really feel!:ranting:

to be honest i really dont care who bids on ue positions. all i care about is a road driver coming to ue and then bumping to city and retaining his senority. this is not right. too many cry baby road drivers and too many meester city drivers. lets face it. after this contract passed the union officially died. how could anyone ever trust our leaders who stabbed us in the back again? and they re all the same no matter who you vote in. its getting to the point to where i really dont care what happens to this company or our union. tired of all the *****ing and snitches. tired of all the guys who think the company owes them something. if everyone would have done their damned jobs and not screw off(like taking 30 min breaks and hour lunches. or laying out in the city to get more hours. or road drivers taking 2 hr naps)

Guys, if you notice I'm not editing out his couple of questionable words that I once did. This is part of the language rule as it is now being enforced.

But, Stormtrooper be careful with the name calling in your next posts, this time you didn't single out any one person, which is fine, but be careful because I'm always watching. :shock:

And one more point I'd like to make, in case you didn't realize what you said you were against and then you did it yourself, didn't you? You said "tired of all the *****ing and snitches." and then you said "if everyone would have done their damned jobs and not screw off(like taking 30 min breaks and hour lunches. or laying out in the city to get more hours. or road drivers taking 2 hr naps) this contract would not have been necessary. Now, you're brand new to Truckingboards I know, but if you want to be respected by your fellow members, maybe you should think about your posts before you hit send. I know what you said but it didn't make sense to me. Can you please explain to us what you don't like about snitches, again?

Welcome to Truckingboards Stormtrooper.

All I can say is wow. Some of you could not care less about your brothers. If anyone in the city wants this job they can have it at the next bid. All some of you want, is for the city and road to bid at the same time. This way a twenty-year city man can take the UE job, bid off of it at the next bid. Then he can take the UE job at the next COO. The Road Drivers can stand in the soup line. You can argue all you want and talk about fairness and seniority, the bottom line is, regardless of the contract, UE work came from road work. I thought most people voted yes because they were mislead or just not that bright. Now that there is a chance for everyone to be reasonable, I see most of my Brothers a just plain selfish.
I sure do care about ALL of my union brothers. If you go back to a previous post of mine, you will notice that before this contract was signed, I tried to help linehaul and City get educated on this grey contract. Obviously 67% of our brothers voted based on their own personal needs, not for their union brothers needs. I do agree with you that the linehaul will get the shaft. However, if it goes in favor of the linehaul, the city will get the shaft, per their seniority. I don't like it either way. BUT, I have to throw this in...... Your statement, "REGARDLESS OF THE CONTRACT." :chairshot: I thought that contract is what we SIGNED and work under. So if the CONTRACT doesn't fit YOUR needs, it needs to be changed? :shock: But, I do agree with you on the fact that most people voted yes because they were mislead or just not that bright.:1036316054:

How come the roadway barn didn't bid this way?
Talked to a Roadway guy today and he said they did it the way the contract says.
Is it because our operations are that different? Just wondering.

This entire contract reminds me of when I played sandlot football as a kid and when two teams couldnt agree they called DGO down goes over now we have CGO contract goes over. I understand that the localS under the NMFA were lied to or misled but when a few of us city drivers who are not under the national saw the proposal we said this looks like you guys will lose some drivers the road steward said that part did not pertain to Holland, I said if its in black and white it pertains to you. I dont think this COO is fair to us city drivers especially when we turned down our contract until we had better language pertaining to the UE. If I remember correctly the NMFA was voted in by a 2-1 margin and it also was the fastest ever to be ratified. I think the leadership needs to be punished for misleading you but also would think guys have been around long enough to know if its in the contract the company will use it.

in the dark

i dont know about the rest of you but my local had no answers, nothing in black and white about the new contract when we were making up our minds
on how to vote. nothing but propaganda letters from yrc and the ibt giving promisses that arent worth the paper they were printed on. one of the many reasons i voted no, theres no going back to the table now without a class action lawsuit or strikes over the deception and lies. there are no "new jobs"
(they closed 27 terminals dont forget) you drivers dont forget about the dock workers, your fellow teamsters. we are screwed if any of us dock workers ever need to find a new job thanks to this contract and the part timers. the road drivers are screwed too. this is what you voted yes for ?

I was told today that there will be a grievance hearing on the first COO in late September. What does this mean for the current COO? I don't know, I guess more hurry up and wait.

i dont know about the rest of you but my local had no answers, nothing in black and white about the new contract when we were making up our minds
on how to vote. nothing but propaganda letters from yrc and the ibt giving promisses that arent worth the paper they were printed on. one of the many reasons i voted no, theres no going back to the table now without a class action lawsuit or strikes over the deception and lies. there are no "new jobs"
(they closed 27 terminals dont forget) you drivers dont forget about the dock workers, your fellow teamsters. we are screwed if any of us dock workers ever need to find a new job thanks to this contract and the part timers. the road drivers are screwed too. this is what you voted yes for ?
You are correct, most of us (67%) voted for a contract that had no clear language. Most of the guys that just come for their paycheck and pay no attention to anything around them, had no idea of the grey language. Every time we would inform them about a grey issue, they would say " I didn't know that". Shame on them for not being involved! Most of them didn't want to know about the grey areas because they were voting yes either way. These are the same guys that could care less about all of the lay-offs and the guys that are losing their jobs. They didn't care about the contract back then and they don't care now, because they are not near the bottom of the seniority list. These guys cannot spell BROTHERHOOD. They don't understand that we do not get the pay, benefits, retirement, etc. because the company feels generous, its because the UNION MEMBERS made a stand at some point in the past and fought for it. These MEESTERS will not make a stand for any cause. They think that it doesn't effect them. They are wrong! But they just don't care about anyone but themselves. We tried to forewarn everyone of the potential problems with this contract, but obviously we failed. But, everyone is correct about one thing, the union and the company DID sell us on it. I just keep hoping that WE learned a lesson with this mess, and fix this by educating others on the meaning of Brotherhood!

You are correct, most of us (67%) voted for a contract that had no clear language. Most of the guys that just come for their paycheck and pay no attention to anything around them, had no idea of the grey language. Every time we would inform them about a grey issue, they would say " I didn't know that". Shame on them for not being involved! Most of them didn't want to know about the grey areas because they were voting yes either way. These are the same guys that could care less about all of the lay-offs and the guys that are losing their jobs. They didn't care about the contract back then and they don't care now, because they are not near the bottom of the seniority list. These guys cannot spell BROTHERHOOD. They don't understand that we do not get the pay, benefits, retirement, etc. because the company feels generous, its because the UNION MEMBERS made a stand at some point in the past and fought for it. These MEESTERS will not make a stand for any cause. They think that it doesn't effect them. They are wrong! But they just don't care about anyone but themselves. We tried to forewarn everyone of the potential problems with this contract, but obviously we failed. But, everyone is correct about one thing, the union and the company DID sell us on it. I just keep hoping that WE learned a lesson with this mess, and fix this by educating others on the meaning of Brotherhood!

I agree 100%. The only thing I would add is that we also need new Leadership.

question

I have been a road driver for 30 years ,I have done it all road dock city yard .
My question about the utility bids is they are getting in a truck and going to a terminal over two hundred miles away and then back ?Isnt that a road drivers job? also if I would take one of those bids and would get bumped off of it why couldnt i go back on the roar where I came from why would I have to go back in the city?? Thank you Late Freight

utility bid

If I come off the road and take a utility bid and get bumped off of it why cant I go back on the road where I came from? why would i have to go into the city??

I have been a road driver for 30 years ,I have done it all road dock city yard .
My question about the utility bids is they are getting in a truck and going to a terminal over two hundred miles away and then back ?Isnt that a road drivers job? also if I would take one of those bids and would get bumped off of it why couldnt i go back on the roar where I came from why would I have to go back in the city?? Thank you Late Freight

You got it, you go to the city because the UE job is a City classification job. I wish people would have asked these questions before they voted.

Yes, I feel that a two hundred mile trip to another terminal IS road work. Again, yes you do go to the city board if you get bumped off your utility position. It was in the contract language (no retreat rights) I just happen to disagree with that also. We (not me) voted this in. Sorry, too late to complain now. :tribe: I think that we have to live with it now.

I was told today that the new COO hearing will be held in Branson, MO on Sept. 23. The same time as the grievance hearing for the 1st COO. Sounds like a done deal.

Our (JO) contract says you get full retreat rights back to the road, as in you cannot come to the city board. I wonder which contract would prevail in a grievance?