Averitt,Con-way,or Star Trans.? which one should i pick?

MoneyBagz

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi Im new to the board and have been a driver for about 28 months now I started with Swift and stayed there about 9 months and the rest of the time i worked for a local grocery distributor and I recently quit so I have been applying like crazy to jobs hoping to find a decent company that can get me home weekly if possible...I have a clean record except for 1 ticket that is 26mph over that is a little over a year old and its killing me!! so with that said....Star wants set up an orientation for me and they start at .34cpm also con-way stays out for about 2weeks and wants me to come to orientation and is starting # .34cpm because they are only going to count my swift experience b/c the local company only ran in 2 states and the same goes for averitt who is only gonna count my 9 months experience and put me with a trainer for 3 weeks # $600/week. so im at a dilemma what should i do fellow truckers??

Last edited by a moderator:
If your talking about truckload I don't know what to tell you. LTL I'd Run
. Not that I'm an old timer here but 7 years counts for something and I would never tell someone to run dude. It is what it is - a good paying driving job and my last stub had me over 61K..

Unless you've driven OTR in the last 10 years I don't think you can relate to how good of a job this is to me.. I do my best on line-haul each night to load good trailers and just wish every other line-haul driver would do the same..

If you have a Con-way ltl terminal close check with them. We have been so busy might be a spot there. If you want home more and the Con-way thing does not work try Schinder's regional program.

I'd try Conway, better home time, and like the other guy's say, you might be able to get into the LTL side.

Well guess I have made a decision to go with con-way and I'm actually headed down to jacksonville now by way of greyhound so we'll see how it goes

Well I'm down here now @ the howard johnson hotel in jacksonville have to be up @ 8 for the start of orientation....for a while I thought I was gonna be in the room by myself but I guess not now lol I was super tired from my 18 hour greyhound trip down here which was hell I hate greyhound but I've made it safe ready 2 hop in the truck and get it started!

ok so heres an update I am actually finished with orientation and i just picked up my new truck..so as

far as the whole orientation process it went very smooth the only thing towards the end we had to wait

for everyones background to clear but anyway ill try to start from the beginning...

So I arrived at the howard johnson hotel in jacksonville,fl was brought over by cab now a word of advice

there isnt much at all around the hotel such as stores or restaurants at all no places to just walk to

so prepare...

classroom size was around 13 people instructor has been with the company 20+ years and will tell you

straight up about the things you wanna know about the company...

ok the hardest part of it all of course is the driving test it was difficult to back within the cones he

provides...and you get 2 tries if you cant back correctly in those 2 tries you are sent home!but if you know how to drive it shouldnt be a problem just dont let your nervousness get in the way

other than that its a waiting game waiting on them to finish everyones background and drug screens which

happens early friday morning (the instructor will add to everything "if you are hired")

also you get about $125 for that week of orientation and 1 meal is provided at a little restaurant up

the street youre allowed up to $15

and once everything is done you are off to go get your truck and they dont send you off on a bus to go

get one either they rent a car for you and give you money for gas and food (btw i have an 06 T600)

I hope this covers most of it im forgetful so if you have any questions feel free to ask me

MoneyBagz said:
ok so heres an update I am actually finished with orientation and i just picked up my new truck..so as

far as the whole orientation process it went very smooth the only thing towards the end we had to wait

for everyones background to clear but anyway ill try to start from the beginning...

So I arrived at the howard johnson hotel in jacksonville,fl was brought over by cab now a word of advice

there isnt much at all around the hotel such as stores or restaurants at all no places to just walk to

so prepare...

classroom size was around 13 people instructor has been with the company 20+ years and will tell you

straight up about the things you wanna know about the company...

ok the hardest part of it all of course is the driving test it was difficult to back within the cones he

provides...and you get 2 tries if you cant back correctly in those 2 tries you are sent home!but if you know how to drive it shouldnt be a problem just dont let your nervousness get in the way

other than that its a waiting game waiting on them to finish everyones background and drug screens which

happens early friday morning (the instructor will add to everything "if you are hired")

also you get about $125 for that week of orientation and 1 meal is provided at a little restaurant up

the street youre allowed up to $15

and once everything is done you are off to go get your truck and they dont send you off on a bus to go

get one either they rent a car for you and give you money for gas and food (btw i have an 06 T600)

I hope this covers most of it im forgetful so if you have any questions feel free to ask me

How things going today??? Still with Conway?