Averitt Express Colfax , NC hits house

Discussion in 'Averitt Express' started by FLOUNDER, Jul 23, 2011.

1. FLOUNDER

FLOUNDER I am LAST

MAYODAN, N.C. (WGHP)— Police in Mayodan are looking for the driver of a tractor-trailer after it crashed into a house on Friday and then left the scene.

Chief Rusty Gray of the Madison Rockingham Rescue Squad said the truck knocked an unoccupied rental house off its foundation at the intersection of Highway 220 and Jackson Street.

Gray said the truck turned too tightly onto the side street and ran into the house, which now sits partially on the ground. No one was in the house at the time.

The house is not in danger of collapse, but the low-value home is believed to be a total loss, Gray said.

"One witness saw the house falling down the hill. There's a full basement under this house and it pushed it off the basement and then the walls collapsed," said Mike Stewart, who owns the house. Stewart said the house was built about 50 years ago.
    Local police found the driver a few hours later with some wood attached under his DOT bumper.

[​IMG]

2. Iceman

Iceman Super Moderator Staff Member

Tandems under the belly of a 53' trailer, major tail swing.

3. ltl lifer

ltl lifer Sr. Citizen & Gold Member

Was this an Averitt truck? I know where Colfax is. I used to live close to there.

4. Iceman

Iceman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, GBO city .

5. jeepman

jeepman Truckload Mercenary

Does it not surprise you? ......alot of Avrt drivers have seemed to hit or run over everything else on the face of the earth! Take a real good look at our equipment!:hysterical:

6. NowIAreOne

NowIAreOne Member

They have a lot of requirements there, no beards for one, maybe they should allow bearded drivers; after all, they're used to allowing extra clearance for their beard. I remember when they built that terminal, I was working almost right across the road from it. Still don't live very far from it...

7. 1tt1

1tt1 Active Member

LOL **driver to police** it's not what it looks like...

8. ltl lifer

ltl lifer Sr. Citizen & Gold Member

The problem there is nobody knows who did any of it.

9. jeepman

jeepman Truckload Mercenary

That's been going on around here for years!....get it back to the yard, park it/ drop it and hope NOBODY see's it until I'm long gone!

10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Active Member

Look at the 90 degree slope those homes are built on. It's a wonder it was still hanging on after 50 years.

11. bigdog88

bigdog88 cancer survivor

It looks like a storage barn to me, not a house. But i did see the part about it being low cost housing.