TForce | Backing trailer with Dolly, WHY?

Nobody does it to show off but have you seen these yards lately it's more dangerous to hook and drop dollies more times than that is necessary to get it done. Pot holes rocks dirt what ever if you can go in drop the rear and rehook now that is safe.

Nobody does it to show off but have you seen these yards lately it's more dangerous to hook and drop dollies more times than that is necessary to get it done. Pot holes rocks dirt what ever if you can go in drop the rear and rehook now that is safe.

don't you know the cost to fix the yards has to be cheaper the fixing the damages to equipment. OR, someone has to sue fedex (insert you company here) frist then we all have to watch a video on how to do it in a crappy, unsafe lot.
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

And when you weigh a buck and a half.....The dolly always had the advantage...Spent 10 months off due to messing with a dolly.....Wont do it again....

Ya right a truck driver that weighs 150lbs. Only driver I seen that light had tyts...............................................................................................................................................................:hide:forget what I just said, most drivbers have tyts:hysterical:

don't you know the cost to fix the yards has to be cheaper the fixing the damages to equipment. OR, someone has to sue fedex (insert you company here) frist then we all have to watch a video on how to do it in a crappy, unsafe lot.
:biglaugh::biglaugh:
Watch the video for free of course

Ya right a truck driver that weighs 150lbs. Only driver I seen that light had tyts...............................................................................................................................................................:hide:forget what I just said, most drivbers have tyts:hysterical:

You mocking me?????? And if I had them i would never get anywhere. That is why I leave them at home.....And yes a buck and a half I am! That is why I drive a truck.....To compensate......

When the yard is a sheet of ice, it is a lot easier and safer for thr driver to back the dolly with trailer than to try to pick it up and down two or three times with your footing being non-existent and you cant move the dolly one way or another without your feet trying to come out from under you.

I Dont think I mentioned weather, yard surfaces, out of shape drivers, or any other EXCUSES you and other drivers are making, READ THE POST, the guy I saw had a pindle hook, and the surface was smooth and flat. New Trend? well you must be a Old Motor Cargo driver, cause Ovnt never taught this practice, and it wasnt even attempted till Motor Cargo drivers were seen doing it on Ovnt yards. I have taught newbies since 86 to hook sets and I would never even suggest it be done that way, because of the likelyhood it could cause equipment damage, To the comment about your dammage to your body, put down the donut and do a situp!

Well I'm a safety trainer out of RCH#126.
I never teach newbeis this method.
What they do on their own once they start hauling sets,is up to them.

But its really not that hard to tow the dolly with your tractor,and leave it in front of your tail.
Then get your lead,back to the dolly so you can see the tires on the dolly move a little.
Then pull the dolly to your lead,drop it on the hook secure the coupling,hook the chains.
Then back it under your tail,and finsh up.
This process is a lot faster in my opinion,then messing around with two units that turn in different directions when your trying to back them up.
I see linehaul drivers that do it,but I still think your better off when you do it the old way.
This is my opinion,winter,or summer makes no difference.
Its worked for a lot of drivers for many years.
Why try to be a hero now.

Remember that you can go from a hero to a zero in the trucking industry,with just on small mistake.

this must be comming from a sleeper driver

I Dont think I mentioned weather, yard surfaces, out of shape drivers, or any other EXCUSES you and other drivers are making, READ THE POST, the guy I saw had a pindle hook, and the surface was smooth and flat. New Trend? well you must be a Old Motor Cargo driver, cause Ovnt never taught this practice, and it wasnt even attempted till Motor Cargo drivers were seen doing it on Ovnt yards. I have taught newbies since 86 to hook sets and I would never even suggest it be done that way, because of the likelyhood it could cause equipment damage, To the comment about your dammage to your body, put down the donut and do a situp!

Darn right, MC, and I believe you when you say you never saw an O driver do it, if they had the O equipment would be in even worse shape than it is now, and its pretty bad. Hold on a minute till I finish my protien shake and I'll bench your butt back up on to your high horse. Sounds to me your just one of those guys that are jealous when someone else can do something and you cant, so then nobody should. When its 110 degrees in the desert, I'm using my equipment to do as much of the work for me as possible. And with over a million safe miles and no dollies messed up from backing them, I think I can keep doing it with out your approval. By the way, when I get a dolly that just wants to be stubborn, I get out and do it by hand, just so I dont mess anything up.

Just one more point, your living in a mushroom induced dream world if you think there were'nt any O drivers doing it 'till now.

Just one more point, your living in a mushroom induced dream world if you think there were'nt any O drivers doing it 'till now.

I know I was an "O" driver and been doing it for years backing lead trailers and a dolly up to the rears even with manual steering back in the '80s.
After finding out you get a whole .3 hooking a set dry or icy pavement, you'll find any way to hook sets that benefit you and only you.
If you hook them in 12 minutes, then psychologically you feel that you got 6 minutes for free and get paid for 18 minutes.
I know it's not a lot, but hasn't UPSF/Big "O" taken enough things away from the drivers as it is!!
If they're hooked up correctly and everything is "latched, hosed, valved" and it pre-trips fine then what's the difference??
Everyone has their own methods, some people double clutch while shifting and some people don't use the clutch at all, except to start off.
I think different methods makes a very boring job slightly interesting.

NEWS FLASH This maneuver has been used for along time MTR cargo had nothing to do with it . And futhermore theres nothing wrong with it if you know what you are doing and the conditions are right.

Those were my thoughts also.
If you see someone struggling, offer assistance to them.
The only way to learn is to practice, but if no one gives them any advice...they may never get it.
You should really only practice when a terminal isn't busy, or where there is plenty of room for everyone to get around you.

Turn the wheel the same way you want the dolly to go, and counter steer so that your lead isn't too far out of whack.
When you loose sight of the dolly, STOP..because this is usually when the damage occurs.
And go slow don't get in a hurry, and the trick is to recognize the point of no return when you have to pull up and straighten it out.

I've observed a new trend in the yard lately, Drivers backing trailers with Dollies on back. This has also caused an increase in Dollies being damaged.I have actually seen a driver drop his dolly off the back of his tractor, grab the lead trailer, hook the dolly to it and spend unknown amounts of time and effort backing to his rear box. And on a few occasions have seen same driver take dolly over to shop for cut air lines or bent releases, and even seen them go ALL THE WAY under trailers that where dropped too high! Ya Know,:duh: if your a Super trucker and can perform Roadeo tricks, I say go for it, but for you novices, learn a new trade, or do it right!
When I started at C.F. and you wanted a job there they use to stand behind you with a stop watch and time you hooking your set this way and if you did not do it with in the time limit you had to look for a job else where and at the time I started it was with a freightliner with a set back front axle with out power steering. Every city driver from C.F. can do it.

I think NITETRAIN is just a Dock/CDL Driver wanna be, and is just tryng to get someone fired so he can get on the board.

I myself have observed a new trend in the past year or so, people that are really fed up with the way this merger is going, and subsequently are complaining about anything they can.

Not trying to be disrespectfull here, but if It bothers you that much, instead of blaming MC drivers for the equipment damage, just mind your own business. Do your job and don't worry what other people are doing.