TForce | Backing trailer with Dolly, WHY?

Oh,Really Since when ? When I spot a dolly I ALLWAYS visually check the height ,Come on its right in front of your face! its common sense, when your backing into the kite, do you know how high it is? not unless you get out and check, Do YOU do that ? Nah, too much effort for you I bet:nutkick: .

I'm glad you know me enough to know how I work.

Its against company policy for 2 people to hook .

There are a lot of things that are against company policy that people do every day, so I don't really care what the policy is.
The point was that you do not move the truck if you can't see your partner (if he is assisting you).

The policy is an attempt to cover their a$$ when sh*t like this happens, when all we really need are drivers with a brain and some common sense.

I'm glad you know me enough to know how I work.

Well if it is anything other than picking my a$$ and chewing gum it is too much effort for me.....So he can just suck eggs and you and I will do it the lazy way...Take their money and go have breakfast......ROGER

Well if it is anything other than picking my a$$ and chewing gum it is too much effort for me.....So he can just suck eggs and you and I will do it the lazy way...Take their money and go have breakfast......ROGER

He more than likely can't do it himself, so he is going to trash on others that do and come up with reasons why its unsafe.

I was going to try to take the high road, but I failed.

This has been a long thread topic.
I don't know if this issue was addressed,in hooking up sets?

But if you do it the old way of towing your dolly over to your kite with your tractor.
Then backing it up to the front edge,you can also make sure your hooking to the right pup number.

But if your in such a hurry you have to hook the dolly on your lead,then drive it around,and push it under your kite,in the dark of night you could hook to the wrong kite.

But of course I know you super trucker, linehaulers that practise this method would never run into anything like that.

I guess I'm just an old timer that thinks some of the older ways of doing our trucker duties are the better,and safer ways.

Coming from the old school I may be looking at this with the old idea of not being able to teach old dogs new tricks.

This has been a long thread topic.
I don't know if this issue was addressed,in hooking up sets?

But if you do it the old way of towing your dolly over to your kite with your tractor.
Then backing it up to the front edge,you can also make sure your hooking to the right pup number.

But if your in such a hurry you have to hook the dolly on your lead,then drive it around,and push it under your kite,in the dark of night you could hook to the wrong kite.

But of course I know you super trucker, linehaulers that practise this method would never run into anything like that.

I guess I'm just an old timer that thinks some of the older ways of doing our trucker duties are the better,and safer ways.

Coming from the old school I may be looking at this with the old idea of not being able to teach old dogs new tricks.

You too, Apo?

You old timers are sure resistant to change.

Oh,Really Since when ? When I spot a dolly I ALLWAYS visually check the height ,Come on its right in front of your face! its common sense, when your backing into the kite, do you know how high it is? not unless you get out and check, Do YOU do that ? Nah, too much effort for you I bet:nutkick: .

Run into DVR some night, and grab a back trailer off of the east fence. It might look like your trailer is at a good hight for hook-up. but with the ditch running right there, sometimes the dolly lifts the trailer, then drops it again when it goes down the slope. The TM in DVR doesnt give a rat about this situation, due to the fact that they continue to spot trailers all the way back against the fence, and in the hole.

I'm not bitter by any means.
I guess Steve5 hit the nail on the head.
I just think the old way is the best,and theres no changing my mind on this issue.
Unless someone has really got this new way down to a science it just seems like your leaving yourself open to break something,or get it wrong,one way,or another.

We are all doing a lot more now that we are UPS drivers we don't need to do things thats going to get us messed up.

You also know that 9 times out of 10 your way might be the best for you.
But what are you going to say,or how many thoughts of regret will you have if the 10th time goes wrong?
I've been a trucker going into my 45th year.
I admit being a city driver I don't have to hook up sets very often,but for all the times I've done it over my career I've never had a problem doing it the old way.
May be this is just how I see this issue?
But I always like to give advice to others on how I see something the safest way I've learned over these many years.

We all have to live our life the way we think is the best for us.
So as far as any advice I offer on the truckingboards you can either treasure it,or trash it.
Its totally up to the readers of my posts what they want to do with it.

the reason we back gears in the west is that most of our agencies are in the desert and have dirt yards and yes it does snow...if you can not back a gear you better learn fast their is no way you can move a gear by hand. Just what we do, you may have to drop and hook triples many time during your run....

I'll say one thing about the area of country you are working at webidiot.
The more you post about your part of the UPS Freight system,the more thankful I am to live up here in upstate, N.Y.
A lot of stuff you have to deal with I'm glad I don't have to do it here.
God bless you webidiot,be safe,and hang in there your doing a good job for UPS.

When you smile everyone around you will always wounder what your thinking.

Smiles are always reactionary you have to do something when you see a smily face come toward you.
You either have to return a smile,or a grin.
Or return a frown because you don't want to be happy enough to smile back.
Or just look away so you don't have to respond in anyway.

I know this is very true,I do it all of the time,and really get a laugh out of the reactions I get back.

the reason we back gears in the west is that most of our agencies are in the desert and have dirt yards and yes it does snow...if you can not back a gear you better learn fast their is no way you can move a gear by hand. Just what we do, you may have to drop and hook triples many time during your run....
A Idiotic as that might sound to some, it makes perfect sense.......especially when triples are part of the equation too..

Well again I say you can keep your triple sets out there in the wild west.
Two is hard enough riding around clueless four wheelers back here in the east.

Also I say once again I say God bless you all that have to deal with those road trains,be safe out there!