Bad accident in SEA yard

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Freight Line' started by 2fast4u, Oct 13, 2015.

1. 2fast4u

2fast4u New Member

Last night (10/12) a line driver was struck by the hostler truck in the SEA yard. The line driver is in critical but stable condition with a fractured skull and swelling of his brain.

2. Trucker 206

Trucker 206 Well-Known Member

That's terrible news! I hope he's gonna be okay. Prayers.

Songremainsthesame likes this.
  3. Bigreem1985

Bigreem1985 Active Member

I gotta say I'm quite surprised that OD doesn't have some sort of mandatory, high-vis vest in the yard rule. It probably could have prevented that accident. We had to wear them at my old job for the exact same reason of what happened in SEA. Prayers to the line driver and his family.

4. DayliteDean

DayliteDean Super Moderator Staff Member

I've wondered when something like this might happen,the dark uniforms don't make it easier to see you either.

bigbird42368 likes this.
  5. 2fast4u

2fast4u New Member

Unfortunately I don't think a high visibility vest would have prevented this particular accident from happening.

6. Zwilley88

Zwilley88 Active Member

How did it happen?

7. 2fast4u

2fast4u New Member

I didn't witness the accident but I have spoken directly to employees that did. That being said...The hostler driver came around a corner going way too fast and didn't see the line driver who was walking towards the building in a cross walk.

8. kenneth

kenneth Well-Known Member

And that's why we should never cut corners.

9. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a terrible incident for both drivers and the company. Best wishes to all.

10. inthegame

inthegame Active Member

Prayers for both of the drivers.

runningfor48 likes this.
  11. Aladdin Sane

Aladdin Sane Active Member

We should have reflective clothing available to us, at the very least, a reflective vest.

DayliteDean and kenneth like this.
  12. 2PumpChump

2PumpChump New Member

I hope we don't end up having to wear those vest, for some reason I associate them with some of the worst companies steering wheel holders. I wouldn't mind seeing a reflective strip on the side of the pants they give us and possible the jacket also. Some of are major yards do have terrible lighting and are uniforms are all black.

Frootloop likes this.
  13. 2fast4u

2fast4u New Member

We can wear all the reflective materials on the market, add flashing lights on our heads, etc, but that won't do a Damn bit of good if someone isn't paying attention and looking out for them. They also won't do any good if someone is excessively speeding through a yard with the service brake line unhooked and they can't stop even if they do see you.

14. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

While I agree with you it is also important that we all keep our eyes out for hazards when we're out in the yard. There is more danger and activity there than there anywhere else we go...except maybe out on the highway.

15. DayliteDean

DayliteDean Super Moderator Staff Member

I ordered the high viz parka through the uniform company this year,when I had to throw snow chains used to scare the hell out of me to have to put them on next to traffic while wearing our black winter coats.

2PumpChump likes this.
  16. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Active Member

Its really sad that someone would post what "I herd from" second hand info about what happened. I ask that if you were not there, do not post inacurate information. If you were there then you would know it was the "perfect Storm' that night and a multible of things took place leading up to this accident--again an ACCIDENT! What I can say is there is a yard speed at all centers of 10mph so maybe just maybe 2fastforyou, you can set the example for everyone and adhere to company policy at all centers YOU visit and drive no faster than 10 mph. Blessings to the drivers family!

jasonthedragon likes this.
  17. inthegame

inthegame Active Member

Looking through these comments, what has happened is terrible. We all learn from mistakes and try to improve from there.
    Just wondering how the driver is doing? This is my main concern.

Songremainsthesame likes this.
  18. Songremainsthesame

Songremainsthesame Well-Known Member

Very true. When I'm on the yard, day or night, my head is on a swivel and I do my dead level best to not put myself in a situation where I'm at risk. It's just terrible to hear about things like this happening, no matter who was at fault and I pray that the driver recovers and the hostler driver can come to terms with the accident. He has to be having nightmares over this.

19. 2fast4u

2fast4u New Member

Everyone please pray for the driver, the hostler driver, and their families. The driver has taken a turn for the worst.

20. 2fast4u

2fast4u New Member

I'm very sad to report this .....Our driver has passed away. RIP Ross, you will be missed.