ODFL | Bad accident in SEA yard

2fast4u

TB Lurker
Credits
Last night (10/12) a line driver was struck by the hostler truck in the SEA yard. The line driver is in critical but stable condition with a fractured skull and swelling of his brain.

I gotta say I'm quite surprised that OD doesn't have some sort of mandatory, high-vis vest in the yard rule. It probably could have prevented that accident. We had to wear them at my old job for the exact same reason of what happened in SEA. Prayers to the line driver and his family.

Unfortunately I don't think a high visibility vest would have prevented this particular accident from happening.

How did it happen?
I didn't witness the accident but I have spoken directly to employees that did. That being said...The hostler driver came around a corner going way too fast and didn't see the line driver who was walking towards the building in a cross walk.

I hope we don't end up having to wear those vest, for some reason I associate them with some of the worst companies steering wheel holders. I wouldn't mind seeing a reflective strip on the side of the pants they give us and possible the jacket also. Some of are major yards do have terrible lighting and are uniforms are all black.

We can wear all the reflective materials on the market, add flashing lights on our heads, etc, but that won't do a Damn bit of good if someone isn't paying attention and looking out for them. They also won't do any good if someone is excessively speeding through a yard with the service brake line unhooked and they can't stop even if they do see you.

We can wear all the reflective materials on the market, add flashing lights on our heads, etc, but that won't do a Damn bit of good if someone isn't paying attention and looking out for them. They also won't do any good if someone is excessively speeding through a yard with the service brake line unhooked and they can't stop even if they do see you.
While I agree with you it is also important that we all keep our eyes out for hazards when we're out in the yard. There is more danger and activity there than there anywhere else we go...except maybe out on the highway.

I hope we don't end up having to wear those vest, for some reason I associate them with some of the worst companies steering wheel holders. I wouldn't mind seeing a reflective strip on the side of the pants they give us and possible the jacket also. Some of are major yards do have terrible lighting and are uniforms are all black.
I ordered the high viz parka through the uniform company this year,when I had to throw snow chains used to scare the hell out of me to have to put them on next to traffic while wearing our black winter coats.

Its really sad that someone would post what "I herd from" second hand info about what happened. I ask that if you were not there, do not post inacurate information. If you were there then you would know it was the "perfect Storm' that night and a multible of things took place leading up to this accident--again an ACCIDENT! What I can say is there is a yard speed at all centers of 10mph so maybe just maybe 2fastforyou, you can set the example for everyone and adhere to company policy at all centers YOU visit and drive no faster than 10 mph. Blessings to the drivers family!

Looking through these comments, what has happened is terrible. We all learn from mistakes and try to improve from there.
Just wondering how the driver is doing? This is my main concern.

While I agree with you it is also important that we all keep our eyes out for hazards when we're out in the yard. There is more danger and activity there than there anywhere else we go...except maybe out on the highway.

Very true. When I'm on the yard, day or night, my head is on a swivel and I do my dead level best to not put myself in a situation where I'm at risk. It's just terrible to hear about things like this happening, no matter who was at fault and I pray that the driver recovers and the hostler driver can come to terms with the accident. He has to be having nightmares over this.

Everyone please pray for the driver, the hostler driver, and their families. The driver has taken a turn for the worst.