FedEx Freight | Bad Routes

Familyman

TB Veteran
Credits
In the thread about the tragic accident it was mentioned about the safety of the road being used to save around 7 miles.

I was wondering how many areas have unsafe roads that are required to be used only to save a few miles?

I realize it may cost the co a few more dollars as they can't legally oute you on a different road and not pay the difference but when should the cost of doing business safely come before the savings of a few dollars?

Will you get written up or possibly fired for taking the safer route even if you don't file for the extra pay?

I have been told by other drivers that in city areas such as St Louis that you can detour around a congested or unsafe area is this true or will I get in trouble?

We have several runs that are routed across the MLK (Martin Luther King) Bridge in STL, This bridge was originally a 2 lane with shoulders, as congestion increased they have turned it into a 4 lane with very narrow lanes, there have been some really bad wrecks on this bridge however none involving FXF to my knowledge, it would add about 2 miles to stay on I70 and use a bridge with proper lane widths.

I have spoken to our safety man and he even agrees but says it's not up to him, do we have to wait for a horrific accident before changing unsafe issues or wouldn't it be a good corporate policy to make changes to better serve the public safely?

Wouldn't that make for good PR for the public to know we as a co go out of our way to be safer?

What are your thoughts and routes that unsafe in you area, maybe corporate will take heed and make some changes........

FM

on my city route i go what ever way i want take every short cut i know and at my center the could care less.i hear on line haul you must take the fedex routes if not your in trouble:USA:

FM,
That's the typical line from all of the Companies.....they'll save a few dollars until they lose millions....like they will in the unfortunate wreck in Va.

I agree with all you, but the fact of the matter is us drivers have concerns about skinny roads and the company isn't going to listen. When it comes down to money and costs that will always overide safety. The only way that this stuff is going to change is if somebody in U.S. congress passes laws to keep big trucks off skinny roads. I've been told that even if its a U.S. route they still can't kick big trucks off the roads is that true?

The road in question is a state route. It is uses to connect ( shortcut saving about 7 milesor so) Two US routes in which both are 4 lanes. The state of Virginia have the right to restrict this road except for local deliveries if so desired. The easy way would be to post lenght and weight restrictions. They do this all the time on mountain 2lane short cuts. It is in the hands of the local people and Vdot. This way the trucking companies have no choice but use the safe way no matter how many miles it is around.

Familyman said:
I have spoken to our safety man and he even agrees but says it's not up to him, do we have to wait for a horrific accident before changing unsafe issues or wouldn't it be a good corporate policy to make changes to better serve the public safely?
FM

I think this is where you need to begin, but you can't stop here. Get your SCM involved and also your regional manager. Send an e-mail to risk management at the GO. Tell your "safety man" If it's not up to him,then who makes these decisions and if he agrees with you about it being unsafe...how did he get his job??? Hello... Safety. Take some pictures get some statements from the other drivers. In other words be a squeaky wheel. I believe they will investigate your claim but only if they are under the impression that it's a serious enough problem.

Familyman said:
I realize it may cost the co a few more dollars
FM

I think that when a driver makes a statement like this they have a tendency to forget that it's a round trip and it's made by several driver's a night. for instance if it were 7 miles difference and there were 15 drivers a day using this detour it would be more like this.

14 miles a day * 15 drivers = 210 MPD

5 days a week = 1050 MPW

Roughly 52 weeks in a year = 54600 MPY

If I'm not mistaken ( and I may be..not good with math) that 7 miles would actually add up to more than $27000 per year. Not that they wouldn't change the route, but they probably wouldn't unless they were convinced that it was indeed dangerous.

The figures are fact , there no question to that. But what about putting a cost figure on a human life???????? Or the fact that are many people that have to live without a loved one for that 27,000 dollars a company saved for 7 miles.

Let me see besides the loss of life and the devastated familys the company will pay millions and millions for this accident , I'll say it was worth 27K. Just my opinion I guess.

Unfortunately it takes tragedies such as this one for the bosses and the cold, calculating beancounters to realize that maybe it's better to spend a few dollars rather than millions. A little common sense would help too, but in today's Corporate America common sense and safety really play 2nd, or maybe 4th or 5th fiddle to profit.

Common sense ?
Hate to say this but common sense
does not come with a shirt and tie.

Smokestack said:
Common sense ?
Hate to say this but common sense
does not come with a shirt and tie.

Very well said Smoke,,, like I've said before,,, "a bean counter does not a driver make......" They really don't have a freaking clue what we deal with ,,, be it city or road.... Thats a shame......

Maybe the one of the worst parts of this is the beancounters calulate this in their figures for operating cost forecast and then use it as operating overhead for the budget. We as driver try to put accidents out of our head so we can conduct business with a clear mind and they talk about it without feeling,as everyday business. Sometimes I glad I don't wear a suit to work. The uniform suits we well.

What would determine if a route was indeed too dangerous for us to travel?? Who would make that call?? FM talked about the MLK bridge being too narrow and subject to many accidents but to his knowledge none of them involved our driver's. Why then would the powers that be feel the need to change this route? ....What if they did change this route and then god forbid another bad accident were to occur, would we be pointing our fingers in their direction for changing it? Unfortunately our jobs come with a substantial risk. Developing safe driving habits can help to reduce this risk, but it's still a risky business. A lot of times it's not the route we're on but more the pressure to get it there quickly ( I do blame the bean counters for this). I'm so sorry to hear about this accident, but I hope it raises others awareness to the importance of being alert and safe out there. It has indeed gotten my attention.

I wonder how they route the routes? the computer most likely. On shortcut i wonder if they ever get out and run this road to actually check for safety related items.

This was a very horrific accident,the driver could loose his job he could be procecuted,will the company stand up for him,who know's the answer.There's going to be a lot of question's asked here. It boil's down too this,dangerous routes need too be recognized now NOT later they need too be changed NOW not later so these accident's stop happening.

Well believe it or not, they do put a price on human life. All big companies do. If we can make $xx amount while saving $xx and it would cost us $xx if a fatal accident would occure. So the difference is +$xx in our pockets

fr8rookie said:
I wonder how they route the routes? the computer most likely. On shortcut i wonder if they ever get out and run this road to actually check for safety related items.
If it is a legal route for doubles and it is the shortest route, we run it.

There is route taken here in the north on the way to SNO. 2 centers must take it. It is a nasty, twist and turn road. They both could be routed west for 10-12 miles, and have a brand new highway to drive on. We had 1 rollover on it, and 1 hit by a drunk driver, within 3 weeks of each other. Countless deer have been hit as well. But in the end, Rattlesnake is right, if it's legal and shorter, we will run it. The view is, we are the professional driver, it's up to us, to adjust our driving to the conditions presented.