FedEx Freight | Bad Routes

Yes the road in question is a legal route for all trucks. The problem with this road is mostly a daylight problem. there are rollings hills with limited eyesight distance. Hidden driveways along with side roads make it very easy to have someone stop or pull out in front of you. This road has alot of truck traffic and local traffic. The state does alot of maintance to this road and this make the road somewhat of a whiteknuckle ride at times. At nite the road is for the most part just like any other 2 lane road. A simple NO THRU TRUCKS sign would make it simple,being it is a state route and not a US route.But then again its a simple sign with politics attached.

Yeah that what it said. A friend of mine was in the area that day. He said they closed the whole road for awhile. If you know the road, he said it happened on the rt360 end of rt307 near the Tyson Egg Hatchery he either in the swag or past theswag at the Hatchery.I was wondering about if the road signs had blown over. Its a big problem on 2 lane roads with not much shoulder to work with.

This not the first fatality accident we have been in on this route I am told. Do you remember the guy who pulled out in front of our unit one night? Was'nt that near the same place?

Guys, not to take away from the tragedy that happened but that is why I started a separate thread, I was hoping maybe by posting the dangerous routes from all over the system here maybe just maybe someone in HRO would check into these routes before it's too late.

FM

Also I called HRO and they said any off route activity must be approved by central first, so even in a metro area you must get any alternate routes approved before you leave the scheduled route.

FM

The curb lane width as measured by Martin Pion is 9' 4" lane line to lane line
MLK_wb_color_JPEG.jpg

source http://home.swbell.net/mpion/river.htm

Familyman said:
Also I called HRO and they said any off route activity must be approved by central first, so even in a metro area you must get any alternate routes approved before you leave the scheduled route.

FM

Our company claims to have the best drivers in the industry and yet we are micro-managed and not allowed to make critical decisions to get our jobs done. I do call HRO before taking an alternate route but sometimes drivers cannot get to a phone or get a signal to make such calls.

Rattlesnake said:
Our company claims to have the best drivers in the industry and yet we are micro-managed and not allowed to make critical decisions to get our jobs done. I do call HRO before taking an alternate route but sometimes drivers cannot get to a phone or get a signal to make such calls.
it's the same over here at new penn. we're supposed to call before taken any off route routes. then we are told you can if you want but we won't pay you.

flying down the BQE and round a curve and see nothing but hundreds of brake lights. what do you do? stop and call central or jump off the first exit possable?if we didnt run around this kinda of crap constantly, our freight would still be sitting on the highways. talking the whole northeast. they know we run off route, just dont screw-up, and i beleive you'll hear nothing from them. they told us months back about running off route-not to do it- and they listed every off route alot of us use. typical company, move the freight as quick as possably, just don't screw up. get paid by the mile, so what would you do, sit for who knows how long, or run around and keep on truck'n. i'm from npme, and you know how slow our trucks run.

You're right a lot of us run off route to avoid back ups And for the most part we don't call it in. I don't believe I'd run off route every night because I felt a certain area was more dangerous but I would certainly take more precautions through this area. Our jobs are more dangerous than that of the average driver. We drive out, work the dock (not all,but a lot of us do), and then drive home. All of this for the most part done at night, and we're usually pretty tired for that return trip. This is way more dangerous to me than any certain route that I personally have been on.

At least you guys at freight can get approved by your central dispatch to run off route. Here at national we are told to call our central dispatch and all that those @*^holes can say is NO. They would rather you sit on a shut down highway then go on another route to keep the freight moving.
But I guess I just Don't have the big picture.
I've heard a rumor that our central dispatch in Lakeland suppose to go through some big changes.

joe bucker said:
I've heard a rumor that our central dispatch in Lakeland suppose to go through some big changes.

What !
You got to know that is going to happen.

So Fedex has forced routing, huh? No thanks, don't wanna work there. Pitt Ohio has to go throught that crap too.

R&L won't pay you for the extra miles but as long as it's a legal truck route, such as those highlighted in the Motor Carrier Atlas, and you're not holding up the freight for too terribly long, you'll have no problem here. Go whichever way you see fit. Hell, it says in the handbook to "vary your route once in a while to discourage hijackers and thieves". Plus, on a linehaul it's necessary once in a while to maintain your sanity.

Rattlesnake said:
If it is a legal route for doubles and it is the shortest route, we run it.
Not always, we have a via that they pay us an extra 3 miles to take the bypass, why, I dont know, the shortest rt is legal as it is interstate highways but runs through the middle of KCY, the longer rt is actually faster (and safer) due to it being a bypass with higher speed limits and less lane changes.

There is also 1 other I know of where the rd they have us run is 11 miles longer than the shortest legal rd however the shortest has no shoulder, and the planned rt does making it safer.

Would like to know how they determine these.

FM