ODFL | Bad things to hear

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
What is the worst thing to hear when you come in to be dispatched ? For instance....

A. Your lead trailer is in the shop.
B. You've got to wait on hot freight coming.
C. I need you to switch a tractor out.
D. You have a trainee.
E. The driver that's going to meet and turn with you,well this is his first trip.

As a team driver, Your partner called in but don't worry we have a guy right out of training to run with you.

this happened to me yesterday i got in got my hook card grabbed my rear trailer set it up and the grabbed a jiff put it of my rear my dispatcher calls says don't grab your lead yet they have to rework it im like ok. 1 1/2 hours later they are finally done. :chairshot:

What is the worst thing to hear when you come in to be dispatched ? For instance....

A. Your lead trailer is in the shop.
B. You've got to wait on hot freight coming.
C. I need you to switch a tractor out.
D. You have a trainee.
E. The driver that's going to meet and turn with you,well this is his first trip.

My disclaimer... Not trying to flame. I know this was meant to be a fun thread you started. But on a serious side to this. If you were compensated for shop time,waiting on freight, tractor swap, driver training, wait time at meet and turn,etc. it would ease the pain a little when you hear these things from your dispatch. But if some of these carriers have their way,it will be straight mileage pay period. Again, not trying to throw a dark cloud over your humor. Just an observation. Take care. Drive safe.

My disclaimer... Not trying to flame. I know this was meant to be a fun thread you started. But on a serious side to this. If you were compensated for shop time,waiting on freight, tractor swap, driver training, wait time at meet and turn,etc. it would ease the pain a little when you hear these things from your dispatch. But if some of these carriers have their way,it will be straight mileage pay period. Again, not trying to throw a dark cloud over your humor. Just an observation. Take care. Drive safe.

Not much humor in it.All they got to do is call and say come in a little later,your loads are not ready yet.Sometimes they do,sometimes they don't.Most people would rather spend that time away from work,instead of at work hanging around.Some of the others a driver could be told a little ahead but mostly they're laided on him when he hits the door.I've noticed that most drivers like to stick to a routine and things like swaps and trainees don't fall into the things they like to do.

As far as the money goes I can't see O.D. paying somebody to wait,they just ain't built like that.There's breakdown,I don't remember how much it is,but that's about all the waiting pay there is.

How about when you first come into dispatch you hear.....

"one of yours is ready but the other is finishing up and it wont be long"

....only to wait almost two hours later and then have dispatch give you a hook card for one and an empty......the same one that was ready almost two hours earlier!:duh::duh::duh:

How about when you first come into dispatch you hear.....

"one of yours is ready but the other is finishing up and it wont be long"

....only to wait almost two hours later and then have dispatch give you a hook card for one and an empty......the same one that was ready almost two hours earlier!:duh::duh::duh:

lol that happens when i have to go chicago. Ill tell you the chicago terminal will ask you do you have time and you say yes how long will it take? about 20 min ok and then 2 hours later its still not ready :chairshot:

lol that happens when i have to go Chicago. Ill tell you the Chicago terminal will ask you do you have time and you say yes how long will it take? about 20 min ok and then 2 hours later its still not ready :chairshot:

That works two ways. Like if your at a terminal and the dispatcher tells you your waiting on a Chicago driver thats scheduled in any minute now. Once I was told that the dispatcher seen the dismay on my face I asked how long I would have to wait for the guy and he told me up to two hours. I pulled 100 dollars out of my wallet and asked him if he wanted to make a bet that the guy would not show up in time. Of course he would not. I went out and hooked to a empty waited the two hours got dispatched home and took off. That was the last time they tried that.

Not much humor in it.All they got to do is call and say come in a little later,your loads are not ready yet.Sometimes they do,sometimes they don't.Most people would rather spend that time away from work,instead of at work hanging around.Some of the others a driver could be told a little ahead but mostly they're laided on him when he hits the door.I've noticed that most drivers like to stick to a routine and things like swaps and trainees don't fall into the things they like to do.

As far as the money goes I can't see O.D. paying somebody to wait,they just ain't built like that.There's breakdown,I don't remember how much it is,but that's about all the waiting pay there is.

i have always been told you only get breakdown pay if your out on the road and not if you are at a term or company shop thats why the worst thing i want to hear and this happens often one of your trailors is in the shop and they just started putting brakes on it

That works two ways. Like if your at a terminal and the dispatcher tells you your waiting on a Chicago driver thats scheduled in any minute now. Once I was told that the dispatcher seen the dismay on my face I asked how long I would have to wait for the guy and he told me up to two hours. I pulled 100 dollars out of my wallet and asked him if he wanted to make a bet that the guy would not show up in time. Of course he would not. I went out and hooked to a empty waited the two hours got dispatched home and took off. That was the last time they tried that.
Got called @ 24:00 one time and waited for 4 hrs to get my loads.Dispatcher kept telling me "come back and see me every 30 min at a time".Guess what?At 04:00 I told him that I was going home and he needed to call me when they had the freight!So I went home and that crap never happened again!See some dispatchers will call you when the loads are projected to be closed out and when the driver(s) show up and they ain't ready,well somebody is going to get an earfull.Call these drivers when the doors are shut and seals are on!To me thats like some hourly paid individual getting to work and the boss telling him to go ahead and start working but don't punch in for 4hrs,YEAH RIGHT!

Got called @ 24:00 one time and waited for 4 hrs to get my loads.Dispatcher kept telling me "come back and see me every 30 min at a time".Guess what?At 04:00 I told him that I was going home and he needed to call me when they had the freight!So I went home and that crap never happened again!See some dispatchers will call you when the loads are projected to be closed out and when the driver(s) show up and they ain't ready,well somebody is going to get an earfull.Call these drivers when the doors are shut and seals are on!To me thats like some hourly paid individual getting to work and the boss telling him to go ahead and start working but don't punch in for 4hrs,YEAH RIGHT!

Luke,I can't believe you.You could have hung around for four hours.Washed your tractor,vacuumed it out,cleaned the mirrors,got you one of those deluxe meals out of the vending machine,and socialized with your co workers.Yeah,to them your time is free and sometimes they act like they don't care as long as you're there available.I have always thought they would go broke if they had to pay for "waiting" because they don't have the efficiency built in to prevent it.