ABF | Bad Tires

Dirty Diesel

TB Lurker
Credits
Does anyone else here feel like we could use a better tire maintance program.How can we improve our service times when our customers frieght is sitting on the side of the road waiting for a new tire.Mr.Davidson should look at that and leave our pension fund alone:chairshot:

I think that they could maintain the tires on the trailers and gears much better than they do. I think the program in place now, is to run them until they blow out or go flat on the ready line. I never blew out a tire until I came to work for ABF. I've already lost track of how many that i've blown out in the last three years. The last one that I blew out got me five and a half hours on the clock waiting for a vendor, so I know what you're saying about holding up a customers freight. Good thing it wasn't a timekeeper or a PSE run. A lot of these tires look like they should be on an airplane that just came off the landing strip. But I understand that it is better than it used to be after the Carolina purchase and the program that CF had in place. So who am I to whine?:hide:

I think that they could maintain the tires on the trailers and gears much better than they do. I think the program in place now, is to run them until they blow out or go flat on the ready line. I never blew out a tire until I came to work for ABF. I've already lost track of how many that i've blown out in the last three years. The last one that I blew out got me five and a half hours on the clock waiting for a vendor, so I know what you're saying about holding up a customers freight. Good thing it wasn't a timekeeper or a PSE run. A lot of these tires look like they should be on an airplane that just came off the landing strip. But I understand that it is better than it used to be after the Carolina purchase and the program that CF had in place. So who am I to whine?:hide:
I've been here quite awhile and I have to say I've only had tire troubles on maybe 3 occasions and even then, with abf's tire locations, I think they have responded pretty fast. This doesn't seem to be the type of problems that are associated with abf, I'm really surprised at what you are saying? I've worked at other places that had the problems you speak of, but not here?
Anyone else?

I've been here for 15 years and can count on one hand the blow outs I've had, however they really do seem to have a problem getting them in balance. Especially the re-caps.
I'm real glad to see that we are getting rid of the older trailers.
Keep on truckin safe guys and stop to count your blessings..:smilie_132:

I've been here about a year and a half and had so many blowouts I can't remember how many there has been It seems a lot worse on the trailers and dollies we must get all the good stuff out west.You hardly ever see Fedex,Conway,Usf,R&L,etc sitting on the side of the road with a blowout

Well as you have probably have seen the new trailers in the system, and a vast majority of them with some old raggedy hoops that I wouldnt put on a horse cart to bring in the hay. They buy these new wagons with all position tires on them so they can get two new sets of steer tires for every new trailer. I havn't had that many blowouts in seven years, but it always amazes me when the new trailers pull like crap with those old runoffs on them.