FedEx Freight | Bargain vs Beg

feded what do we deserve from FedEx ?. I mean dollars and cents. Please don't use the words fair or decent. The narrative Ive heard from pro union associates for years is were being screwed by the man or how the CEO of the corporation doesn't care about us. How should "they" care, is all Im asking. How many more cents per mile are we from the Legacy LTL carriers ( just a few left). What does a ABF linehaul driver make in the south compared to a FedEx driver. how much more OR less do they really make ?. Total compensation.

feded what do we deserve from FedEx ?. I mean dollars and cents. Please don't use the words fair or decent. The narrative Ive heard from pro union associates for years is were being screwed by the man or how the CEO of the corporation doesn't care about us. How should "they" care, is all Im asking. How many more cents per mile are we from the Legacy LTL carriers ( just a few left). What does a ABF linehaul driver make in the south compared to a FedEx driver. how much more OR less do they really make ?. Total compensation.

Those are all things im looking for representation to negotiate for us. At the end of the day we all grip the wheel for a living as professional drivers

I personally would like a rule book in writing, not a living document. I want to get ride of the "management discretion" clause that alows every center to make up their own set of rules.

I want representation when disciplinary action is taken against me because i have lost all faith in management and HR doing the right thing.

I would like guarenteed hours because having s start time one day at 6am and the next its 11am is hard on families. Something that states they will have a commitment to supplying you 8hrs minimum in return for your commitment to them.

I would like a say on healthcare changes and our retirement.

I don't want the world but as far as compensation i would like the union to fight for what the market will bare.

All of those things im sure we can both agree are reasonable

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the "Truth Monster" is back at it............

The Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service can be brought in, however, they cannot force the company to agree to any contract it is unwilling to accept.

"That's not part of my agency," he said. "That's not part of my responsibility."

That is a direct quote from the director of the FMCS during the labor disruption at the Long Beach Port in 2002. Eventually, GWB ordered the employees back to work by invoking the Taft-Hartley act.

Hope in West Coast port talks - Oct. 2, 2002

Apparently you and red racer have something in common reading comprehension owns you all. He stated they would never bring in a mediator which I provided a link and proved him wrong. I know a mediator can't make the company agree to anything please explain why fed ex brought them in.

Apparently you and red racer have something in common reading comprehension owns you all. He stated they would never bring in a mediator which I provided a link and proved him wrong. I know a mediator can't make the company agree to anything please explain why fed ex brought them in.
Again, you have yet to prove me wrong! I said in order for a mediator to be brought in, first FedEx would have to agree to an impasse...which they won't, your own link stated they didn't have to! Without an agreement to an impasse, the mediator is irrellavent!
Again, FedEx pilots fall under the RLA, we fall under the NLRA. IF you would do some homework and learn the difference between the two then you could answer your own question.

negotiate negotiate negotiate negotiate negotiate negotiate and repeat negotiate negotiate negotiate negotiate negotiate negotiate repeat

Nah....believe my comprehension skills are functioning ok.........just cant ignore my BS meter when it starts pinging. The "everything will be ok, if not, a mediator will be brought in" line is an overused fallacy that I have seen made by too many folks regarding the topic in question.

As far as speculation as to why FedEx chose to utilize a mediator in that circumstance.......my guess would be that it was because the pilots had voted to strike during the peak holiday season, which surely everyone would recognize would be a disaster for all involved. Why not pull out all the stops you can to try and avoid it?

BTW, if you do a little further research into that situation, you will find the mediation didnt really accomplish anything........there were also several contingency plans in place should the strike have moved forward.

Nah....believe my comprehension skills are functioning ok.........just cant ignore my BS meter when it starts pinging. The "everything will be ok, if not, a mediator will be brought in" line is an overused fallacy that I have seen made by too many folks regarding the topic in question.

As far as speculation as to why FedEx chose to utilize a mediator in that circumstance.......my guess would be that it was because the pilots had voted to strike during the peak holiday season, which surely everyone would recognize would be a disaster for all involved. Why not pull out all the stops you can to try and avoid it?

BTW, if you do a little further research into that situation, you will find the mediation didnt really accomplish anything........there were also several contingency plans in place should the strike have moved forward.

So are you saying they would just let us go on strike? Strike is a classic scare tactic from the company and will never happen they have more to lose than gain.

So are you saying they would just let us go on strike? Strike is a classic scare tactic from the company and will never happen they have more to lose than gain.

Didnt say that at all........quite honestly I dont think there is a person out there that can answer that with anything more than an opinion, which would certainly be biased one way or the other. Because you asked, I actually said that in my opinion the mediators were brought in to help try and resolve that situation and possibly help avoid a damaging strike.

Ultimately, it would be the bargaining groups' decision to strike......companies do not "let" strikes happen or "make" them happen. FXF has publicly stated numerous times that it will not agree to a contract that is not in the best interest of FXF. I dont let myself get fooled into thinking that finding a middle ground in any conflict, where both sides have strong feelings, will ever be an easy process or that one side really has much advantage over the other. You are giving your opinion in place of fact when you state that a strike will never happen and the company has more to lose than gain. In my opinion statements such as there are reckless and generally are not based on any factual information.......

There are no fortune tellers here..........nobody "knows" what will happen or how either side will react for certain. I look at similar situations throughout history to form my opinions about the outcome and go from there. IMHO history is the best predictor of future events, as human nature and closely held philosophy really never change.

If you are being led around by blind obedience to either cause and not properly understanding all the possibilities, you could be positioning yourself for a pretty severe letdown at some point.

Didnt say that at all........quite honestly I dont think there is a person out there that can answer that with anything more than an opinion, which would certainly be biased one way or the other. Because you asked, I actually said that in my opinion the mediators were brought in to help try and resolve that situation and possibly help avoid a damaging strike.

Ultimately, it would be the bargaining groups' decision to strike......companies do not "let" strikes happen or "make" them happen. FXF has publicly stated numerous times that it will not agree to a contract that is not in the best interest of FXF. I dont let myself get fooled into thinking that finding a middle ground in any conflict, where both sides have strong feelings, will ever be an easy process or that one side really has much advantage over the other. You are giving your opinion in place of fact when you state that a strike will never happen and the company has more to lose than gain. In my opinion statements such as there are reckless and generally are not based on any factual information.......

There are no fortune tellers here..........nobody "knows" what will happen or how either side will react for certain. I look at similar situations throughout history to form my opinions about the outcome and go from there. IMHO history is the best predictor of future events, as human nature and closely held philosophy really never change.

If you are being led around by blind obedience to either cause and not properly understanding all the possibilities, you could be positioning yourself for a pretty severe letdown at some point.

While there is a lot of truth in your post, af, I think we can all agree with certainty, that a strike would be VERY unlikely.

We agree that neither side wants one. We can also agree that FedEx, their customers, and their stock holders doesn't like the uncertainty that would be involved in such a thing. Add to that, the reqirement for a majority vote (to call for that action), and I think we can all can see how miniscule the chances would for that would be.

That's all... carry on gentlemen

While there is a lot of truth in your post, af, I think we can all agree with certainty, that a strike would be VERY unlikely.

We agree that neither side wants one. We can also agree that FedEx, their customers, and their stock holders doesn't like the uncertainty that would be involved in such a thing. Add to that, the reqirement for a majority vote (to call for that action), and I think we can all can see how miniscule the chances would for that would be.

I have seen you state that a strike would be very unlikely many times and have to respectfully disagree with you on that point. I sincerely believe that both sides legitimately HOPE that there will be no disruptions. However, I also believe HOPE actually only carries one so far before it actually turns into something on the other end of the spectrum.

I agree with you whole heartedly that neither side wants a strike......historically, nothing real good for anyone involved generally results.

I say look at the history of similar situations.........I have found that sometimes patience, reasoning, understanding and even common sense all vacate the premises as these things evolve and people find themselves with limited options except ones that they at one time found entirely unappealing and drastic.

No your wrong you all voted the union in and the company has to negotiate in good faith or a mediator will be brought in just like they did with the pilots.

Not how it works.

The difference with the pilots is that many of the pilots were already represented by a union when FedEx purchased their employer.

But still I think that there is a given time period,after that runs out,the NLRB can then get in and
get both sides together.

Again, you have yet to prove me wrong! I said in order for a mediator to be brought in, first FedEx would have to agree to an impasse...which they won't, your own link stated they didn't have to! Without an agreement to an impasse, the mediator is irrellavent!
Again, FedEx pilots fall under the RLA, we fall under the NLRA. IF you would do some homework and learn the difference between the two then you could answer your own question.
Actually what I read was if it was decided by the NLRB that that the company wasn't negotiating in good faith then they could bring in a mediator, a mediator can not force the company to sign. I will probably have to find it again but I believe it was on the NLRB web site.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If the NLRB determines that the company is not bargaining in good faith that's another matter.

If the company declares an impasse AND the NLRB determines the company has been bargaining in good faith then the most recent offer made by the company can be implemented by the company if they choose to do so. Employees don't get to vote on it. It is what it is. They may attempt to encourage the company back to the negotiating table but they can not force them to do so. The NLRB can not force mediation either.

NLRB cannot force companies to bargain in face of clear impasse

Actually what I read was if it was decided by the NLRB that that the company wasn't negotiating in good faith then they could bring in a mediator, a mediator can not force the company to sign. I will probably have to find it again but I believe it was on the NLRB web site.

No that can't be true red racer know's it all, and is right even when he is proven wrong. :rolleyes:

I have seen you state that a strike would be very unlikely many times and have to respectfully disagree with you on that point. I sincerely believe that both sides legitimately HOPE that there will be no disruptions. However, I also believe HOPE actually only carries one so far before it actually turns into something on the other end of the spectrum.

I agree with you whole heartedly that neither side wants a strike......historically, nothing real good for anyone involved generally results.

I say look at the history of similar situations.........I have found that sometimes patience, reasoning, understanding and even common sense all vacate the premises as these things evolve and people find themselves with limited options except ones that they at one time found entirely unappealing and drastic.

Fair enough, we'll have to disagree (on likelihood), but I just don't see either side having demands that would warrant that most drastic of actions. Just my opinion, as I won't/can't comment further on options going forward.

Ding, ding, ding....winner, winner, chicken dinner!
You have finally danced around to inadvertently answer my question....the only things the union brings to the table on your behalf to negotiate with is YOUR job, which you already have, and the threat of a strike.....and since you've just admitted the chances of a strike are minuscule, (and ******* for its unprotected members), the union has nothing left to negotiate with except for the one thing you've already got! They have nothing left to offer the company during negotiations in exchange for anything.
What are you willing to give up for that pension? Wages? Vacation?
What about for better insurance? Wages? Pension?
What about for better wages? Insurance? Vacation? Pension?

Plus, the FIRST thing the union WILL ask for is the dues check off clause...because they care about their money FIRST, you second.
The FIRST thing the company will ask for is a management clause...giving them the power to hire, fire, move employees, move equipment, move frt, close centers, layoff, etc...without repercussions from the union, including ULP charges.

Good luck getting that contract!

I agree with Ex396, if they're guilty of not negotiating in good faith, then that's a different story.
The problem is as long as both sides agree to meet and talk/negotiate and both sides show up, that's considered negotiating in good faith.

Ding Ding Ding......YOU JUST SET OFF MY " You"re most probably not a driver" alarm.

You speak a script. One with points which have been releaaated over and over again the last few weeks.
Youve said you plan on retiring at 55. The only emway a Fedex driver is gonna do that is if their wife is the breadwinner or her parents or yours have contributed heavily to your finances or you had somekind of inheritance or lawsuit money imo. Those would also be the only sane reasons for a guy to vote no.
Ding, ding, ding....winner, winner, chicken dinner!
You have finally danced around to inadvertently answer my question....the only things the union brings to the table on your behalf to negotiate with is YOUR job, which you already have, and the threat of a strike.....and since you've just admitted the chances of a strike are minuscule, (and ******* for its unprotected members), the union has nothing left to negotiate with except for the one thing you've already got! They have nothing left to offer the company during negotiations in exchange for anything.
What are you willing to give up for that pension? Wages? Vacation?
What about for better insurance? Wages? Pension?
What about for better wages? Insurance? Vacation? Pension?

Plus, the FIRST thing the union WILL ask for is the dues check off clause...because they care about their money FIRST, you second.
The FIRST thing the company will ask for is a management clause...giving them the power to hire, fire, move employees, move equipment, move frt, close centers, layoff, etc...without repercussions from the union, including ULP charges.

Good luck getting that contract!