Be Careful in Mississippi

From the story:

The state fuel tax isn't providing enough money to keep up with maintenance and construction, . . . .

Oh, great, so now they are gonna jack the IFTA for Mississippi to generate more revenue for road repairs.

Nice.

Look out Oregon and North Dakota!

Why not? Pa just passed a shiny new transportation act, which gets it funding from new fuel taxes.

Why not? Pa just passed a shiny new transportation act, which gets it funding from new fuel taxes.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

but when states raise the fuel taxes, aren't many of the monies diverted into other forms of transportation.??

like in my state, if they need new public transit buses, they get that money from the fuel taxes. if they want to make "improvements" to the bike paths, they take that money from the fuel taxes..(and many if not all the bike paths, were former R/R tracks that were given back to the state, but the state has to turn them into bike paths)

so, i gotta "think" that many other states do this as well...

and if so....

when does any of that money, actually go for road repairs..??

if anyone looks close enough, many states are considering putting up toll plazas on many highways, even if the US Guberment paid for those roads, if the states can show a dire need to do so for upkeep. i think there was "talk" right here on this site, regarding toll plazas..??

so suffice it to say...ALL of America's roads are bad....just a varying degree of "bad", and where does the actual money come from for repairs..???

taxes...

if America were to STOP sending monies to foreign countries, and keep it here...

Afghanis get upwards of 5000 US bucks for bullet holes in their ****ty mud walls when we have to destroy them when we get engaged from the taliban there. At the superbases in Afghanistan I ate better than I did in the states. Corporations dont pay taxes and then go raid the government troughs for money. When CSX and all the rail companies needed money to raise bridges so they could run double stacked trains, where did they get the money. Uncle Sam.. Its just a corrupt system all around, and we get to pay for it

Governments take in so much from fuel taxes, but much of it gets diverted from their intended uses.

but when states raise the fuel taxes, aren't many of the monies diverted into other forms of transportation.??

like in my state, if they need new public transit buses, they get that money from the fuel taxes. if they want to make "improvements" to the bike paths, they take that money from the fuel taxes..(and many if not all the bike paths, were former R/R tracks that were given back to the state, but the state has to turn them into bike paths)

so, i gotta "think" that many other states do this as well...

and if so....

when does any of that money, actually go for road repairs..??

if anyone looks close enough, many states are considering putting up toll plazas on many highways, even if the US Guberment paid for those roads, if the states can show a dire need to do so for upkeep. i think there was "talk" right here on this site, regarding toll plazas..??

so suffice it to say...ALL of America's roads are bad....just a varying degree of "bad", and where does the actual money come from for repairs..???

taxes...

if America were to STOP sending monies to foreign countries, and keep it here...
Yes you are right. Pa has a passenger rail plan or two, which will also be funded by those fuel tax dollars. It's the way of the land here, when you rent a car you pay a tax that goes towards our stadiums too.
Afghanis get upwards of 5000 US bucks for bullet holes in their ****ty mud walls when we have to destroy them when we get engaged from the taliban there. At the superbases in Afghanistan I ate better than I did in the states. Corporations dont pay taxes and then go raid the government troughs for money. When CSX and all the rail companies needed money to raise bridges so they could run double stacked trains, where did they get the money. Uncle Sam.. Its just a corrupt system all around, and we get to pay for it

Governments take in so much from fuel taxes, but much of it gets diverted from their intended uses.
If you think that's bad...did you know that we pay them to NOT grow poppy (opium)? Every year they make enough to double their land holdings.

A small city in Arkansas used several hundred thousand collected from drillers & landowners in the natural gas play for damage to roads by trucks to build bicycle trails. "Your tax dollars at work".

It's the way of the land here, when you rent a car you pay a tax that goes towards our stadiums too.

That just isn't right.

The stick and ball teams are multimillion dollar franchises owned by billionaires who hold the local communities hostage for a new stadium every few years. And sometimes even after the local taxpayers agree to spend millions to coddle the local sports franchise that team will still pack up and move to another city.

Team members earn annual salaries that exceed what most of us will earn in a lifetime, and their career is what, 10, 15 years?. And after they cannot play anymore they earn millions in endorsements.

The television broadcasting rights earn those who own them seven figure salaries.

Meanwhile those fat cats sit who reap the benefits of the "ball game" sit in luxury suites eating caviar and drinking cognac while the "fans" struggle to earn a living and pay for tickets to the events.

A small city in Arkansas used several hundred thousand collected from drillers & landowners in the natural gas play for damage to roads by trucks to build bicycle trails. "Your tax dollars at work".
Funny you would mention that, it is one of my pet peeves. In these trying times of budget shortfalls and financial hardship 'round the house they still have ways to come up with money for these recreational paths in every budget. I'm fat, lazy and watching wheelchair commercials closely and I believe that those who use those trails should have to pay a users fee and not raid my pocket for their trail construction and maintenance.
That just isn't right.

The stick and ball teams are multimillion dollar franchises owned by billionaires who hold the local communities hostage for a new stadium every few years. And sometimes even after the local taxpayers agree to spend millions to coddle the local sports franchise that team will still pack up and move to another city.

Team members earn annual salaries that exceed what most of us will earn in a lifetime, and their career is what, 10, 15 years?. And after they cannot play anymore they earn millions in endorsements.

The television broadcasting rights earn those who own them seven figure salaries.

Meanwhile those fat cats sit who reap the benefits of the "ball game" sit in luxury suites eating caviar and drinking cognac while the "fans" struggle to earn a living and pay for tickets to the events.
You're preaching to the choir here buddy.

I ride a bicycle when the weather is favorable but I don't expect taxes that are collected from trucks to pay for a place to ride.

I ride a bicycle when the weather is favorable but I don't expect taxes that are collected from trucks to pay for a place to ride.

but that IS the problem...monies being diverted from the actual usage/need...

all the damned politicians see, is the cash cow.....and how they can get their grimy little corrupt hands on it for their own self interests, to please their constituents....never mind the roads are terrible...bikes don't ride on the highways, and many times, public transportation buses rarely do as well.

It's simply the 1%ers, those that MAKE THE RULES, telling the 99% what the rules mean, through a dislocated chain of command.
Along the same line of airport security measures: "You have the right to follow the rules however you will never have access to the rules".

Be a good SHEEP and do not eat too much grass or we'll thin the herd (like with the new health insurance requirements).

Remember: FOR THE GOOD OF THE STATE.
Option A: LEAVE THE COUNTRY (With a large financial portfolio, South America or New Zealand are options).
Option C: DIE.
Option E: IMPROVISE, ADAPT, OVERCOME.

Coming soon to a check point near you regarding the circular nature of HISTORY:
Ihre Papiere BITTE!!

Translation enabled at Dictionary.com/translator

Whichever route traveled, CHEERS!!

If you think that's bad...did you know that we pay them to NOT grow poppy (opium)? Every year they make enough to double their land holdings.

How can I get in on that?

How can I get in on that?
You start but getting your nose rounded, getting a tan and wrapping a towel around your head. Then you need to move over there and blend in a little (no more showers and learn how to make do without terlet paper). Then you find a vacant lot and start your garden. When you get that far get back to us and we'll help you out on our garden thread.