XPO | Becareful what you say on truckingboards!

Never? That's a pretty strong statement- are you a Teamster?

The financial portion is definitely a big part of the relationship, but I've gotta ask- if you don't trust the people that sign your paychecks, then why on earth do you work there? It's no different from any other relationship- sometimes people make mistakes, and it doesn't mean they don't value your contribution or are "out to get you". It also doesn't justify painting them as villains.

I see way too many drivers that find one thing they don't like or that impacts them negatively and they take that one thing and use it to justify completely changing the way they look at their company. (For example, freezing the pension or changing the vacation policy.) Now they're just looking for things to justify their lousy attitude. Instead of taking those individual decisions as blanket indications of nefarious intent, why not just take them at face value and move on with your life?

Seems to me the "one thing they changed" things you mentioned were pretty big deals... Vacation and retirement...

The last bunch got away with stealing most of the benefits that we had. And we let them do it. Whether you like it are not you are starting over with a new employer. You either buy into their way or the highway. I had to adjust to being at the bottom of the board again after
20 years . I am doing ok . Your old employer was the one who screwed you over , example pension plan , preferred stock, vacation to pto , I could go on and on. In any event, that's all gone. You have to see what happens and hope that you are treated fairly.

Oh, I see now. You're just unhappy that you don't get to wear the new logo right away. Veruca Salt would be proud. You should probably say something like, "I don't get a new XPO jacket when I want one" instead of, "they won't give me a jacket so I guess I'll just have to buy one".

Just about everyone but you seems to understand that rebranding an enormous trucking company is not simple, fast or cheap. I think our customers would understand if we had different logos for a while and some of them looked temporary.

We're still a non-union company, so I guess most folks are pretty happy.

They probably didn't even have to give up as much as they did- that organizing drive was a joke. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
you just love skewing words to fit into your diatribes don't you! i'm going to type slow this time so maybe you can hear it more clearly, 1> I would like a new free jacket from this company like the city drivers so i don't have to pay for one with my own money 2> the new trucks in that video with the bikes in ohio don't look anything like the trucks on the xpo website WHY? a little thing called bait and switch?3> lets make this perfectly clear that i'm a guy who makes limbaugh look like a liberal,i don't wish to be union in any form! but post detter, that last reich has done nothing but screw us over time and time again.finally the drivers stood up and said enuff is enuff BUT in turn went away after a meager pay raise SO SAD!!!! so please dont change my words around for your phsyco-babbling diatribes P.S... it's quite clear my take of you is right on the money QUACK QUACK!!!!!!!!!!

The date is important- accountants and shareholders look at how much profit you made in 2015. If you don't fix the truck until 2016, that makes your profit in 2015 bigger. We're far from the only ones who tighten our belts in December. It's no different than you waiting to buy that new TV until you've got extra money in the bank.
and once again what about YOUR integrity speel! i've worked 22yrs now in this delightful field with 5 now 6 company's with xpo and never was maintenance of trucks put off for year end savings EVER!!!! it must be nice to live in the land of rainbows and lollipops while wearing rose colored glasses equipped with blinders..the ONLY reason this is being done is so bradleykins can say lookie here boys i saved x amont of dollars just in three months to his flock. so please tell me again about integrity i can't hardly wait for your dribble

Last edited:
and once again what about YOUR integrity speel! i've worked 22yrs now in this delightful field with 5 now 6 company's with xpo and never was maintenance of trucks put off for year end savings EVER!!!! it must be nice to live in the land of rainbows and lollipops while wearing rose colored glasses equipped with blinders..the ONLY reason this is being done is so bradleykins can say lookie here boys i saved x amont of dollars just in three months to his flock. so please tell me again about integrity i can't hardly wait for your dribble
While Bradley Jacobs is sitting at the top , and he calls the shots , I would say the underlings are doing the cost cutting to save themselves. This next year is for evaluation of the former Con-way Inc. operations , the numbers , the culture. The management here is human and they are scared.

Who will have their head on the chopping block next? With Mr. Jacobs tossing out the underperforming , the duplicates , and anyone else that doesn't help XPO Logistics reach his goal , the management that is still here will go overboard with the bootlicking. ( cost cutting and getting their numbers up )

So don't be surprised at a repair being put off for bookkeeping purposes ( this happens all of the time , like with our new handhelds being delayed , you just noticed it this time because it affects you. There are more changes in store , so brace yourself , you may notice these and not like them either.

Seems to me the "one thing they changed" things you mentioned were pretty big deals... Vacation and retirement...

No doubt. They've been debated to the moon so I'm not going to, but they were business decisions. I see a lot of people that took them personally and still do. If someone is going to be happy at their job, I think they have to understand that the company is out to survive first and foremost. Sometimes the decisions they make to that end won't benefit you and might actually put you in a worse position. When it becomes a better option for you to move, then you go work for another company that gives you what you want.

Where I think people go wrong is, for example, when Con-way changes the vacation policy, there's this emotional shift as though all of sudden the company's attitude towards them has changed. It changes the lens through which they view everything the company does and they refuse to engage. Instead of looking at every change as an individual business decision, it turns into this career of victimhood where you're just piling them all together and talking about how all the company does is screw you over and how one day you're not going to take it anymore.

The truth is that the end result is the same. They froze the pension and gave us a 401k. For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth, we still don't have a pension and never will again. Does it make more sense to accept it and go back to trying to enjoy your job and support your employer, or cross your arms, sit in the corner and pout about it for the rest of your career? The only person you're affecting is you- I'd just as soon be happy. When I can't be happy, I'll leave.

i'm going to type slow this time so maybe you can hear it more clearly, 1> I would like a new free jacket from this company like the city drivers so i don't have to pay for one with my own money 2> the new trucks in that video with the bikes in ohio don't look anything like the trucks on the xpo website WHY? a little thing called bait and switch?

I feel like I'm trying to explain particle physics to Buford T. Justice. Scroll up- we covered this already.

lets make this perfectly clear that i'm a guy who makes limbaugh look like a liberal

You keep mentioning political parties like it makes a difference. It doesn't, so I don't care.

finally the drivers stood up and said enuff is enuff BUT in turn went away after a meager pay raise SO SAD!!!!

That's one way to look at it. Or, a handful of drivers believed a sales pitch that promised them things they'll never have and all they'd have to do is sign a piece of paper and this multi-billion dollar corporation would fall to its knees before them. Go ahead and lionize them if you want, but they are victims- just like your grandmother who sent all that money to Nigeria.

And that was not a meager pay raise. You can argue all you want about if it was "enough", but you can't say it was tiny.

i've worked 22yrs now in this delightful field with 5 now 6 company's

Well that doesn't surprise me at all. You've got high standards.

never was maintenance of trucks put off for year end savings EVER!!!!

As icuicp said, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

i can't hardly wait for your dribble

Drivel- the word you're looking for is "drivel". And you love my drivel.

No doubt. They've been debated to the moon so I'm not going to, but they were business decisions. I see a lot of people that took them personally and still do. If someone is going to be happy at their job, I think they have to understand that the company is out to survive first and foremost. Sometimes the decisions they make to that end won't benefit you and might actually put you in a worse position. When it becomes a better option for you to move, then you go work for another company that gives you what you want.

Where I think people go wrong is, for example, when Con-way changes the vacation policy, there's this emotional shift as though all of sudden the company's attitude towards them has changed. It changes the lens through which they view everything the company does and they refuse to engage. Instead of looking at every change as an individual business decision, it turns into this career of victimhood where you're just piling them all together and talking about how all the company does is screw you over and how one day you're not going to take it anymore.

The truth is that the end result is the same. They froze the pension and gave us a 401k. For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth, we still don't have a pension and never will again. Does it make more sense to accept it and go back to trying to enjoy your job and support your employer, or cross your arms, sit in the corner and pout about it for the

So true. I was getting ready for the bid process, keeping in mind that I have no say on whether I get a 40% pay cut. Its the way the process is set up. I got bumped this week and am ready to switch to days till I find something better. I'm getting to old to reapply for a job every year. Wandering if the guy that got hired a month before me wants to work my shift. I keep this job in perspective.

you just love skewing words to fit into your diatribes don't you! i'm going to type slow this time so maybe you can hear it more clearly, 1> I would like a new free jacket from this company like the city drivers so i don't have to pay for one with my own money 2> the new trucks in that video with the bikes in ohio don't look anything like the trucks on the xpo website WHY? a little thing called bait and switch?3> lets make this perfectly clear that i'm a guy who makes limbaugh look like a liberal,i don't wish to be union in any form! but post detter, that last reich has done nothing but screw us over time and time again.finally the drivers stood up and said enuff is enuff BUT in turn went away after a meager pay raise SO SAD!!!! so please dont change my words around for your phsyco-babbling diatribes P.S... it's quite clear my take of you is right on the money QUACK QUACK!!!!!!!!!!
Your wasting your time, he probably gets paid to shoot you down at every Avenue! More than likely that's his job, or at least it sounds like it anyway!!

serene gene, 1>your just touched in the head and what your feeling is your meds on an empty stomach 2>its a metaphor nimrod 3> self worth well its clear who has more 4>you forgot about my morals they go hand and hand 5> never seen santa,easter bunny,tooth fairy either so are you telling me they exist? 6>dribble;a flow in drops;a trickle cant hardly wait AGAIN to set you straight AGAIN you need to chuck that shovel and just use a backhoe

The truth is that the end result is the same. They froze the pension and gave us a 401k. For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth, we still don't have a pension and never will again. Does it make more sense to accept it and go back to trying to enjoy your job and support your employer, or cross your arms, sit in the corner and pout about it for the rest of your career? The only person you're affecting is you- I'd just as soon be happy. When I can't be happy, I'll leave.
You make several good points, Gene. I think what you may be 'overlooking' a bit is the fact that over the last few decades, there's been an all-out 'assault' on not only organized labor, but labor in general. We give back, have things such as vacation time and benefits ripped away from us, etcetera etcetera. So when something ELSE gets modified (i.e. taken away), it just turns up the heat a little bit more. And Conway Freight was a MASTER at handing down those little joyous tidbits. And, in their naive way and infinite wisdom, continued to believe it was their way or the highway. I'm sure some of the staff is happy, but it's a safe bet that most are not. All due to the company's smugness and corporate greed.

I am in agreement with this, Most of the cuts we took wasn't a matter of survival for the company. They would take something away and add another level of management or blow a ton of money on something like buying CFI. We all seen it before our eyes.

This uniform issue is silly, in my opinion. There are a lot of companies that don't even have uniforms, never have, never will. It's my opinion that you should be representing your company with professionalism and integrity at all times, uniform or not. The customers and the public see what truck you got out of and know who you drive for, so you should feel like you're being looked at at all times, so be professional at all times.

Be patient on the uniform issue.

It's really stupid when you remember that they just gave us Con-way coats. Cleaned out the warehouse closets after the purchase was announced. So he ain't buying any jacket. He already has one. It's just a Con-way jacket instead of an XPO jacket. And since he's on line haul, does it matter what the branding on his jacket is ? And by the way. These temporary XPO jackets are about as useful as those paper hats. They are the cheapest crap ever. He would just be crying about that if he had gotten one. So it's, whatever.

While Bradley Jacobs is sitting at the top , and he calls the shots , I would say the underlings are doing the cost cutting to save themselves. This next year is for evaluation of the former Con-way Inc. operations , the numbers , the culture. The management here is human and they are scared.

Who will have their head on the chopping block next? With Mr. Jacobs tossing out the underperforming , the duplicates , and anyone else that doesn't help XPO Logistics reach his goal , the management that is still here will go overboard with the bootlicking. ( cost cutting and getting their numbers up )

So don't be surprised at a repair being put off for bookkeeping purposes ( this happens all of the time , like with our new handhelds being delayed , you just noticed it this time because it affects you. There are more changes in store , so brace yourself , you may notice these and not like them either.

If it isn't making money he wants rid of it. A customer, a terminal, a piece of equipment or an individual.

If you are costing him money. You are out. He is all about making money, not spending it.