XPO | Becareful what you say on truckingboards!

I'm trying to figure out why Rabbit has to buy a jacket. Why not wear the Con-Way jacket he already owns?

He seems pretty upset about it. Wait until the ::shit:: really hits the fan. Poor guy might have a heart attack. Hope he's on an aspirin regimen.

No doubt. They've been debated to the moon so I'm not going to, but they were business decisions. I see a lot of people that took them personally and still do. If someone is going to be happy at their job, I think they have to understand that the company is out to survive first and foremost. Sometimes the decisions they make to that end won't benefit you and might actually put you in a worse position. When it becomes a better option for you to move, then you go work for another company that gives you what you want.

Where I think people go wrong is, for example, when Con-way changes the vacation policy, there's this emotional shift as though all of sudden the company's attitude towards them has changed. It changes the lens through which they view everything the company does and they refuse to engage. Instead of looking at every change as an individual business decision, it turns into this career of victimhood where you're just piling them all together and talking about how all the company does is screw you over and how one day you're not going to take it anymore.

The truth is that the end result is the same. They froze the pension and gave us a 401k. For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth, we still don't have a pension and never will again. Does it make more sense to accept it and go back to trying to enjoy your job and support your employer, or cross your arms, sit in the corner and pout about it for the rest of your career? The only person you're affecting is you- I'd just as soon be happy. When I can't be happy, I'll leave.
Lol just accept it, sounds like you've read the management and corporate playbook.

No doubt. They've been debated to the moon so I'm not going to, but they were business decisions. I see a lot of people that took them personally and still do. If someone is going to be happy at their job, I think they have to understand that the company is out to survive first and foremost. Sometimes the decisions they make to that end won't benefit you and might actually put you in a worse position. When it becomes a better option for you to move, then you go work for another company that gives you what you want.

Where I think people go wrong is, for example, when Con-way changes the vacation policy, there's this emotional shift as though all of sudden the company's attitude towards them has changed. It changes the lens through which they view everything the company does and they refuse to engage. Instead of looking at every change as an individual business decision, it turns into this career of victimhood where you're just piling them all together and talking about how all the company does is screw you over and how one day you're not going to take it anymore.

The truth is that the end result is the same. They froze the pension and gave us a 401k. For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth, we still don't have a pension and never will again. Does it make more sense to accept it and go back to trying to enjoy your job and support your employer, or cross your arms, sit in the corner and pout about it for the rest of your career? The only person you're affecting is you- I'd just as soon be happy. When I can't be happy, I'll leave.

I'll agree to an extent because I did leave. I only had 3 1/2 years in, and all I ever did each bid was go backward so I didn't feel I had anything to lose. But to tell a guy who has 25+ in and was given certain things to expect (vacation and pension) and to have them taken away and further not expect him to be a little upset, then further tell him to leave if he isn't happy only to start at the bottom of the board somewhere else... I can't agree with you there.

But to tell a guy who has 25+ in and was given certain things to expect (vacation and pension) and to have them taken away and further not expect him to be a little upset, then further tell him to leave if he isn't happy only to start at the bottom of the board somewhere else... I can't agree with you there.

I understand if they're upset about losing a benefit or having it changed in a way that costs them money. I'm not saying they shouldn't be. But those changes don't happen in a vacuum- you've got to look at the big picture. Our industry is highly competitive with very thin margins and some of the biggest expenses over the last 10 years have skyrocketed, like fuel and healthcare. Pensions are great for companies that can just print money, like regulated trucking companies and 1970's assembly plants and steel mills. But the world is a much smaller place and those companies are gone.

If you compare our benefits to the other LTL companies, are they really that much different? If a company could afford to provide a pension, high wages, and free healthcare, among other things, wouldn't they do that? The best drivers in LTL would be lined up to work there. I mean, think about what kind of a workforce you could have if you had the pick of the LTL litter. The reason they don't is because none of them can afford to do that.

They would take something away and add another level of management or blow a ton of money on something like buying CFI. We all seen it before our eyes.

Do they waste money? Of course. But we're looking at those decisions with the benefit of hindsight. Things like Lean, buying CFI or spending a lot of money for executives were supposed to be investments that would improve the operation and help make money. Didn't really work out that way, obviously, but I don't think those kinds of expenses necessarily prove there's enough cash to give us more benefits.

I'm not saying that people should be thrilled that they lost a pension or pay more for less healthcare. I get it. But we do have to accept it, because we really don't have another choice. It's as much out of our hands as what kind of tractor they buy. We can tell them what we think about it, and suggest other ideas, but that's about it. To some people, that justifies a lousy attitude and doing the bare minimum for the company, but I don't feel like my obligation to my employer changes. My satisfaction comes from going to work and doing a kickass job, helping customers and co-workers do a kickass job with a great attitude, and going home safely to my family. My retirement account, health insurance and vacation accrual doesn't make a bit of difference in how I approach every day and I don't think it should. If you can't do that, then you might be at the wrong company. I realize that, to many, this makes me sound like a corporate shill. I don't care.

I understand if they're upset about losing a benefit or having it changed in a way that costs them money. I'm not saying they shouldn't be. But those changes don't happen in a vacuum- you've got to look at the big picture. Our industry is highly competitive with very thin margins and some of the biggest expenses over the last 10 years have skyrocketed, like fuel and healthcare. Pensions are great for companies that can just print money, like regulated trucking companies and 1970's assembly plants and steel mills. But the world is a much smaller place and those companies are gone.

If you compare our benefits to the other LTL companies, are they really that much different? If a company could afford to provide a pension, high wages, and free healthcare, among other things, wouldn't they do that? The best drivers in LTL would be lined up to work there. I mean, think about what kind of a workforce you could have if you had the pick of the LTL litter. The reason they don't is because none of them can afford to do that.

Do they waste money? Of course. But we're looking at those decisions with the benefit of hindsight. Things like Lean, buying CFI or spending a lot of money for executives were supposed to be investments that would improve the operation and help make money. Didn't really work out that way, obviously, but I don't think those kinds of expenses necessarily prove there's enough cash to give us more benefits.

I'm not saying that people should be thrilled that they lost a pension or pay more for less healthcare. I get it. But we do have to accept it, because we really don't have another choice. It's as much out of our hands as what kind of tractor they buy. We can tell them what we think about it, and suggest other ideas, but that's about it. To some people, that justifies a lousy attitude and doing the bare minimum for the company, but I don't feel like my obligation to my employer changes. My satisfaction comes from going to work and doing a kickass job, helping customers and co-workers do a kickass job with a great attitude, and going home safely to my family. My retirement account, health insurance and vacation accrual doesn't make a bit of difference in how I approach every day and I don't think it should. If you can't do that, then you might be at the wrong company. I realize that, to many, this makes me sound like a corporate shill. I don't care.
Well, let me help you to understand, The former Management was a bunch of idiots. I did walk after 20 years there. I am enthusiastic about my current employer. I am treated fairly and I give my best every day. I hope that the rest of the poor management gets cleaned out and maybe you will work for a trucking company again.

They killed our pension because they did not want to pay,not because they couldn't pay. The money spent on CFI was our pension. You cannot justify it and if you are trying to you are a fool. That being said,it is what it is and what is done is done. We should have gotten over it or moved on.

Exactly, admit to yourself that you got shafted, learn from it, move forward. XPO is not responsible for it. They bought the company. The ones responsible are gone or leaving shortly, hopefully for you guy's.

Exactly, admit to yourself that you got shafted, learn from it, move forward. XPO is not responsible for it. They bought the company. The ones responsible are gone or leaving shortly, hopefully for you guy's.
Hope you are rite but,there is still a lot of upper mgnt here that still believes that they were ok at taking some of our benefits. It's just hard for some of us to swallow what they did.and as for some of us here getting over it and moving on? Lots that I know are just a few years away from the 85 factor including myself.with that being said I am going to give Xpo a chance

Hope you are rite but,there is still a lot of upper mgnt here that still believes that they were ok at taking some of our benefits. It's just hard for some of us to swallow what they did.and as for some of us here getting over it and moving on? Lots that I know are just a few years away from the 85 factor including myself.with that being said I am going to give Xpo a chance
I wouldn't say anything here I wouldn't say anywhere else????????????

Good points SG, I had 31 yrs with them,called it a day and retired.When the pension was frozen so was the production.Go figure.They should have done a prorated reduction,instead of gutting the whole co,What they saved short term ,what was the long term cost of freezing the pension?CCX was THE LEADER in LTL,not anymore.Why? 740 mil for CFI. High price for used equip,customers ?and 100% driver turnover.That money could have paid a lot of pensions.They still paid a good wage and health bennies,so i did as I was told,did a good job,I didn't throw sand in the gears, No more pension,no more extra effort on my part.I just couldn't take a f'n that bad and not give it back. I got the last laugh,bought a ton of con-job stock in 08, thanks Doug S,I'm sure it's only lunch money for you but I can live nicely for the rest of my life.Thanks for the 47.60 a share Brad.I bought at 17.80.........

Lol just accept it, sounds like you've read the management and corporate playbook.

Well, the thing is.... none of us came here to work at XPO. We now have two choices. Stay or go.

Con-way. We were invested. Had an opportunity to change things. Things just got bad and then worse.

Wish in one hand and ::shit:: in the other. Tell me what you end up with more of.

The leadership has changed. The playbook has changed. It's what it is.

Well, let me help you to understand, The former Management was a bunch of idiots. I did walk after 20 years there. I am enthusiastic about my current employer. I am treated fairly and I give my best every day. I hope that the rest of the poor management gets cleaned out and maybe you will work for a trucking company again.

Everyone is on egg shells. Should be an interesting year. When things change and what things change. And how long it's worth it to hang around. From management down.

That European LTL they bought. They kept the CEO on board. Then after a few months, he quit on them.

Trucknfool, you got out at a great time. The economy was up. And you probably got guys under you. You jumped at a very good time.

To vote with your feet never truly fails. Because in reality, it's a vote for yourself. Not so much that this company or that company will take better care of you. What you are actually saying is, I can do better. And if you have that mind set. It's the truth.

If you only have a couple years to go, you aren't giving them a chance. You are giving them a couple years.

Unless it's your intention to work past your 85. In which case staying can be just as harmful as going. You then are truly taking a chance.