Averitt | Being sick/point system

rnsgn

TB Lurker
Credits
I was looking at the handbook (for entertainment purposes only) and I'm a bit confused about the point system. From my understanding per OSHA and maybe the Surface Transportation Act and maybe even some other regulation- a company can't force or penalize a driver for refusing to drive when sick or fatigued, I even saw lawsuits on the internet where the driver was awarded substantial money for having been terminated for refusing loads when sick. In the handbook it says you can receive a point for missing work even with a doctor's excuse. Is that not threatening your job if a man is sick? Isn't that pressure to operate a commercial vehicle while tired or sick or suffer disciplinary action?

I don't see it as forcing us to work while sick, I think we get 12 points per year? I know I lost a point when I went to the ER and spent the day and was issued high powered narcotics that forbid me from driving. I know our newer guys suffered from"Fridaynitus" a lot and this prompted the point system.

I don't see it as forcing us to work while sick, I think we get 12 points per year? I know I lost a point when I went to the ER and spent the day and was issued high powered narcotics that forbid me from driving. I know our newer guys suffered from"Fridaynitus" a lot and this prompted the point system.
Wow, for being sick you received a disciplinary point. Now imagine it had been a rough year, car broke down, had trouble sleeping, house flooded, sick children and or spouse and that point was your 12th? Also keep in mind you aren't supposed to drive while ill or fatigued. I'm not sure of the answer but I don't think you can be penalized legally for being sick.

You are correct and we would not nor will ever be penalized for excused absences due to such circumstances, this rule is aimed to keep a leash on slackers and unexcused absences.

Just find a bs excuse to fill out F L A forms and have all the days you need. That's what all the sorry a$$ drivers at NOR do to circumvent the point system.

You should have NEVER been assessed a point for being sick or going to the ER. I know a guy that ran out of BHM that got 5 points (their little unexcused point) for going to get a colonoscopy on a Friday. 5 points. Seriously? Doesn't Averitt waste a fortune in healthcare propaganda preaching endlessly about preventative healthcare?

Other than marrying the love of my life, the next best thing was getting away from Averitt. It was a blessing in disguise. The company (I use that term extremely lightly) that you guys draw a paycheck from is nothing more than a caricature of itself. I wish you guys the best but wish nothing but failure or change of ownership for Averitt, the little cheap a$$ company that couldn't.

Just find a bs excuse to fill out F L A forms and have all the days you need. That's what all the sorry a$$ drivers at NOR do to circumvent the point system.
Whenever they come up with one of their brilliant ides, there is always a way to work around it.

Wow, for being sick you received a disciplinary point. Now imagine it had been a rough year, car broke down, had trouble sleeping, house flooded, sick children and or spouse and that point was your 12th? Also keep in mind you aren't supposed to drive while ill or fatigued. I'm not sure of the answer but I don't think you can be penalized legally for being sick.
The point system is a joke. The company is even more of a joke. I am embarrassed to tell folks that I was ever affiliated with such a nightmare. SO SO SO glad I am gone. Retirement looks real good on me!

I was looking at the handbook (for entertainment purposes only) and I'm a bit confused about the point system. From my understanding per OSHA and maybe the Surface Transportation Act and maybe even some other regulation- a company can't force or penalize a driver for refusing to drive when sick or fatigued, I even saw lawsuits on the internet where the driver was awarded substantial money for having been terminated for refusing loads when sick. In the handbook it says you can receive a point for missing work even with a doctor's excuse. Is that not threatening your job if a man is sick? Isn't that pressure to operate a commercial vehicle while tired or sick or suffer disciplinary action?
The only time an associate would feel "self induced" pressure is if they have abused the point system and are on the verge of getting to number 15. I see a few drivers running their points up to almost 15 year after year. When they can't get a day off, they just call in sick. The unscheduled days missed without a doctors note is 5 points but only 1 point with a doctors note. Missing work stresses any operation which affects our on time service to our customers. I know Averitt well enough that if an associate was truly sick, they would put him/her on family medical leave or something to keep that associate from accumulating more points and losing their job. It's a more than fair system but is way to lenient for associates who like to abuse the system.

The only time an associate would feel "self induced" pressure is if they have abused the point system and are on the verge of getting to number 15. I see a few drivers running their points up to almost 15 year after year. When they can't get a day off, they just call in sick. The unscheduled days missed without a doctors note is 5 points but only 1 point with a doctors note. Missing work stresses any operation which affects our on time service to our customers. I know Averitt well enough that if an associate was truly sick, they would put him/her on family medical leave or something to keep that associate from accumulating more points and losing their job. It's a more than fair system but is way to lenient for associates who like to abuse the system.
The person granting the day off is the arbiter of the points and whether it's excused or unexcused. Don't buy the BS spooned out by Averitt. They are pathological liars. Don't think you know this place as well as you think you do.

TL over 10 years never received a point for any absence. I think it's geared more for shuttle, dock etc.

TL over 10 years never received a point for any absence. I think it's geared more for shuttle, dock etc.
It's a sophomoric little plan to intimidate. There are no personal days, no sick days, and pitiful vacation package. I received a point or 2 while I slaved there but never let them intimidate me. Had it come to me getting an unexcused absence 5 point deduction because some supervisor has an axe to grind and I was faced with job loss as a result, I'd have beat them like a drum in court.

If they are going to deduct points for points for unexcused days then I think they should add points for the days they cancel runs (only to be given to LandStar and JNJ) and set you at home.

If they are going to deduct points for points for unexcused days then I think they should add points for the days they cancel runs (only to be given to LandStar and JNJ) and set you at home.
I said that for years whil I was there but the suggestion fell on deaf ears as did most anything a driver said.
Just make sure you burn all of your unused points every year.