ODFL | Benefit of super singles ????

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
What would be the benefits of O.D. going to super singles on tractors ? I talked to a O/O today,he had put super singles on his new Volvo screw.Said they rode great,made the rear about 400lbs lighter.The tires run over 600 bucks a piece and he had a 800 number for repairs.I just don't think they would work in some of O.D.'s yards if they're as bad as I've been told.I'm sure the nickels and dimes would be figured out and there would be testing before O.D. jumped on them.

i told our shop i would be happy to test them on my tractor if they would like. they said because there was not a tire inflation system on the truck they probably wouldn't consider doing it.

i would like to give it a try. my old flatbed company i worked for had them on both truck and trailer. i enjoyed having them. smooth ride, better in mud and snow. and they are supposed to save fuel.

i have been keeping track of my fuel mileage on my 07 since beginning. helps let you know if something is going wrong.

Well, it seems that they are running them now on their 48's at least the new trailers. Question is will they run them on their new pup trailers.

When i go to wabash to pick up pups i haven't seen any yet but all are jiffs that i pick up from there are super singles.

i dont think super singles are a good ideal for tractors, espeicially single axle tractors. if one of those things were to blow out it would be hard to keep from wrecking.

I'm guessing that these tires would be really bad in snowy conditions. Seems to me that being so wide they would tend to ride on top of any snow.

i dont think super singles are a good ideal for tractors, espeicially single axle tractors. if one of those things were to blow out it would be hard to keep from wrecking.

I'm not a truck driver but just looking at them I don't see how they could be as stable as duals.Maybe on dry,straight roads,running the speed limit they would work.

I'll go for ss on any axle but not on a single axle truck.If one were to blow then your sitting right there and with the duals at least you have a comfort zone to get off on a ramp and not on the shoulder.

Well I guess it doesn't matter down south but up north they don't hanndle as well on the snow and if you were to blow one out you would be sitting for a good long while.

have herd of some breakdowns with the ss taking up to six hours because they could not find the tires seen a driver in elp bring a dolley in he said sat on shoulder for four hours with a flat ss just to have them but duals on one side because they could not find a tire driver said he was only 45 min away from term wonder if that is safe having duals on one side and a super on the other now shop in elp no telling where that jiff is now

I pulled one dry bulk air ride trailer with the super singles and the trailer didn't track right. Don't know if it was a tire or trailer problem (new trailer and I looked for any signs or an accident). The benefits we were told were less rolling resistence, longer tire life and lighter weight. I saw someone mention that they wouldn't be a good idea for a single axle tractor and I tend to agree.

We have ss on our tractors and trailers if a tire blows the new ones are supposed to let u drive still they have a bladder in them. I bleieve our company was the first to get ss.

We have ss on our tractors and trailers if a tire blows the new ones are supposed to let u drive still they have a bladder in them. I bleieve our company was the first to get ss.

our supers are supposed to be the same way but i still have seen catastrofic tire failure with them

I hauled fuel before working for upsf/overnite and that was all we used was super single on the tractor and trailer, we were told they save weight ride better and run flat, not only did we run them but so dies most all fuel tanker companies in fl. use them.

I see where the speed limit is 75mph on these tires.Hmmmmm...How fast does a 72mph tractor go down hill ? Let me guess.72mph.Yeah,right.

What's the name of the system that O.D. uses to keep the air up in all the tires or is there a name for it ? Saw a post on the ABF forum about a ss blowing and seperating from the wheel on a o/o.Wouldn't clear to me if the whole thing left or part of it.What would this do to the inflation system and over all air pressure ?

What's the name of the system that O.D. uses to keep the air up in all the tires or is there a name for it ? Saw a post on the ABF forum about a ss blowing and seperating from the wheel on a o/o.Wouldn't clear to me if the whole thing left or part of it.What would this do to the inflation system and over all air pressure ?

i think the system od uses is by bendix it has a tube that runs thru the axle hub and connects to the valve stem so a tire blowing should not afect it but a rim coming of sure would