Best way to start a foodservice driver career with Sysco?

outdriving

TB Lurker
Credits
I have no commercial driving experience and I'd like to work for Sysco or another company if I can't get into Sysco. My question is what's the quickest way to getting behind the wheel? I know getting my permit will help.

Also, what does Sysco consider a "clean" driving record? I have no DUI'S and 1 speeding ticket in the last 5 years.

Thanks !

Foodservice driving. The high paying job that everyone wants until they have it. Kind of sort of kidding (I think). Turnover IS high but once you get used to it it's really not all that bad.
I'd say your record is fine, but it all really depends on your local labor market. If they have stacks of applications sitting around they may be more picky than most.
Used to be Sysco wouldn't even call you without 2yrs experience, and I'd bet that quite a few if not most of the houses are still like that, but we're so hard up for help here (KC) that they're hiring people off the street with no license and in a couple cases that I know of without even having permits yet and training them. It's going to be an interesting winter here with these guys on the streets.
I got mine with a beverage company (Coke). They did the same thing, though most of the driver trainees were already employed there as merchandisers and got permits.
Best advice: Go to the DMV to get the book and study for/take the written test to get your permit. Then start making phone calls/pounding the pavement. Beverage companies are good. Coke and Pepsi both look to their merchandisers for new drivers all the time. Beer companies hire a lot of helpers, would give you some time in a truck to see if it's really what you want to do. In town here Fed-Ex Freight had a "dock to driver" program because they can't get anyone in the door either, you might check that out too. There's always CDL school. I personally wouldn't recommend it as I think you can get the training for free if you look hard enough, Mike J would be the best to comment on his experiences as he actually went to one and I'm just shooting my opinion.
Once you get your license you'll never have a hard time finding good paying work...

I have no commercial driving experience and I'd like to work for Sysco or another company if I can't get into Sysco. My question is what's the quickest way to getting behind the wheel? I know getting my permit will help.

Also, what does Sysco consider a "clean" driving record? I have no DUI'S and 1 speeding ticket in the last 5 years.

Thanks !
Location? At one time Sygma(a Sysco company) was training new drivers. Just had to sign a contract and give them one or two years of your life.

I don't know where your at but our warehouse in Norman has been training guys to get their CDL and putting them to work, we need drivers pretty bad, just like at Lazlo's house, its not entirely impossible to get on with Sysco not having a CDL, it depends on where your located at. Or where you are willing to move if your location is a good one and is staffed up.

Location? At one time Sygma(a Sysco company) was training new drivers. Just had to sign a contract and give them one or two years of your life.

Thanks guys for the replies. I appreciate it. I'm in the Tampa area. I do see Coke and Pepsi jobs posted somewhat regularly here. I will get my permit soon. I have to stay in my current job for a while. Then we'll see.

Keep looking you are in a very good location with gordon, Ben e keith, sysco, us foods and qcds most need drivers and will train.

Hey MikeJ. Thanks for the great message. Very helpful. I couldn't answer you because I don't have enough points yet on the forum. But thanks again, I appreciate the info! It will help for sure.

Just saw that one of Coke's MVR requirements in no careless driving. I got a ticket for careless driving 13 years ago while In high school. I rear ended another vehicle. Do you think they would consider a ticket from so long ago?

Just saw that one of Coke's MVR requirements in no careless driving. I got a ticket for careless driving 13 years ago while In high school. I rear ended another vehicle. Do you think they would consider a ticket from so long ago?

I would bet that anything that old probably has fallen off your record by now, and if it hasn't they likely won't consider it disqualifying because of how old it is. They're looking for recent problems and multiple issues that would indicate a pattern of stupidity, not one mistake from when you were still a kid. I don't know about FL but here you can get a copy of your MVR for a buck or two at the DMV. Pull yours if you're worried to see if it shows, and explain it during the interview process if it does.

Don't say a word about it, your MVR won't even show it, I did things in my youth that might be disqualifying but I never said a word about it and it never came up, it was forever ago. Don't mention it at all, these are companies, not the federal government, they only have so much access to your background.

hello im new here to the forum, and i too am very interested in getting into the food service.im 34 yrs old weight about 170lbs very physical fit since highschool, 3yr letterman on varsity football also 1yr of college football...... i use to drive for Schneider (dedicated family dollar account) and it was dsd (direct store delivery) , we used rollers to unload also worked for DHL as a package delivery driver for a big contractor..... worked in TX,OK,MN,WS,LA, and CA as a transition driver (trainer basically).........also my best friend for over 20yrs has been in the food service for about 15yrs.....5 with US foods and the other 10 with Glazier foods and has been pushing me to get in the foodservice......i live in atlanta now and ive seen so many job openings for the food service its crazy..SYSCO,US,MBM,MCLANE,REINHART,GORDON FOODS, CDI-LLC, just wanted a lil input from you guys on what should i do..........ive had a clean CDL since march 2001 with off and on jobs just could never stay OTR .......thx in advance

i put my app in a few days ago, called HR department for a app status update and she told me to expect a call monday for a phone interview, #fingerscrossed

Hello new to the forum I had a phone interview this past Monday the 16th February. She said it might be a week or so before to get back with me. My question is do they have overtime after eight hours or 40. Starting pay is 2275 an hour this is in Houston.I also forgot to ask her if it's a union house. Thing is I'm 41 years old but I am fit And wondering if I can do this type of workbut if it's going to be 2275 an hour then overtime that makes me sort of excited The yard is 15 minutes from my home house. Can anyone explain how much they making per year or per week how much they take home because I'm in the market for a new job and I don't know if I should go to food service for LTL. I do have 4 1/2 years driving in the freight Business currently line haul I'm home every day trouble is the company isn't giving raises or growing as a company Time for me to move on. Thanks

Cajuntex, I believe the Houston house is union, I have no idea if its OT after 8, but for sure after 40! We have a couple of guys that went down after the hurricane and helped out and experienced some of the yards out of the Houston house and they said those were some pretty happy guys.

Sysco is a good job, I hope you get on, I have no plans to go anywhere soon, plus they have a pretty good 10 year company retirement program!