TForce | Better get your heads out of the clouds UPS dosen't need freight.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
Just offering a reality check before UPS washes their hands on Freight & dumps that division.

They are a very smart company,they won't hold on to a money drain,
They could easily contract any heavy freight & break up the rest into small pack.

Just offering a reality check before UPS washes their hands on Freight & dumps that division.

They are a very smart company,they won't hold on to a money drain,
They could easily contract any heavy freight & break up the rest into small pack.
They need Freight division to compete with Fedex some companies want to ship their freight and packages with the same company same Account Executive one phone call! Call their bluff VOTE NO it's not shutting down no way.

I'm retired so I don't have a pony in this race.

However I know how companies shut their doors with no care for the workers who made them great.
When you get a headache you want to get rid of it anyway possible.
Also if a company sees little profit in their future,it is bye bye.

I was a P&D driver for 45 years,with 15 different Union LTL's which have all closed their doors.
Some really big,such as Consolidated Freightways who were at one time big as Roadway the largest of them all.
CF published an 800 number to call on Labor Day letting every employee know why their gates were locked.
The company I was with the longest was Hall's Motor Transit,in my 18th year number 2 on the city board.
I got a call from my TM one Sunday afternoon,when I'd just gotten home from church.
It was March of 1986,however I'll never forget what he said.
He says I've got some bad news for you,don't come to work tomorrow Hall's shut their doors midnight Saturday.

I said your kidding,he said I wish I was,talk about being in shock.
That Monday morning I started going to all of the remaining union LTL's,along with the rest of my co-workers.
However their were so many Teamster drivers in my area out of work,I could only get a day or 2 working Dock,or P&D,or both.
Believe me it was not fun trying to work enough to get my benefits & add hours to get a pension.

Long story short,I took a withdrawal to freeze the pension I had gotten with the 22 years working as a union P&D driver.
Then I hired on with Overnite,my pay went from $13.00 an hour working part time union,down to $9.50 starting at Overnite.

After working at Overnite for nearly 20 years UPS took them over,I work a few more years & retired in 2008.

Well that is my history in LTL Freight,seeing some really big LTL's go belly up & me having to start over wherever I could.
I also really have to give kuddo's to God to have been blessed with the many breaks I got over these many years.
To have been able to make a living & receive a pretty good pension even though it was cut.

All righty then back to the reason I started this topic.
If any of you think UPS needs their freight division guess again,I remember when they had supply chain.
I used to drop trailers at their distribution warehouse,then one day there where no more loads.

I'm saying if UPS Freight becomes to much of a headache for them,rest assure they will make other arrangements.
Think about it UPS owns all of the equipment,UPS Freight is just tape that can be taken off with a hair dryer.
To deliver their heavy freight,probably contracting to owner operators & other LTL's who would love to get the business.

Last edited:
What did they buy,all of the terminals & equipment.
Uniforms,will just be a write off.
Come on you all really need to think this through,UPS didn't get where they are needing a Freight division.

One of my former co-workers just called me,very worried that UPS is stopping picking up freight.
His TM told their terminal that UPS is ready to close all of the lanes.
He is afraid by next Friday there will be no more freight.
So you see I'm not posting to get a reaction,I'm really attempting to stop the demise of freight.

I'm retired so I don't have a pony in this race.

However I know how companies shut their doors with no care for the workers who made them great.
When you get a headache you want to get rid of it anyway possible.
Also if a company sees little profit in their future,it is bye bye.

I was a P&D driver for 45 years,with 15 different Union LTL's which have all closed their doors.
Some really big,such as Consolidated Freightways who were at one time big as Roadway the largest of them all.
CF published an 800 number to call on Labor Day letting every employee why their gates were locked.
The company I was with the longest was Hall's Motor Transit,in my 18th year number 2 on the city board.
I got a call from my TM one Sunday afternoon,when I'd just gotten home from church.
It was March of 1986,however I'll never forget what he said.
He says I've got some bad news for you,don't come to work tomorrow Hall's shut their doors midnight Saturday.

I said your kidding,he said I wish I was,talk about being in shock.
That Monday morning I started going to all of the remaining union LTL's,along with the rest of my co-workers.
However their were so many Teamster drivers in my area out of work,I could only get a day or 2 working Dock,or P&D,or both.
Believe me it was not fun trying to work enough to get my benefits & add hours to get a pension.

Long story short,I took a withdrawal to freeze the pension I had gotten with the 22 years working as a union P&D driver.
Then I hired on with Overnite,my pay went from $13.00 an hour working part time union,down to $9.50 starting at Overnite.

After working at Overnite for nearly 20 years UPS took them over,I work a few more years & retired in 2008.

Well that is my history in LTL Freight,seeing some really big LTL's go belly up & me having to start over wherever I could.
I also really have to give kuddo's to God to have been blessed with the many breaks I got over these many years.
To have been able to make a living & receive a pretty good pension even though it was cut.

All righty then back to the reason I started this topic.
If any of you think UPS needs their freight division guess again,I remember when they had supply chain.
I used to drop trailers at their distribution warehouse,then one day there where no more loads.

I'm saying if UPS Freight becomes to much of a headache for them,rest assure they will make other arrangements.
Think about it UPS owns all of the equipment,UPS Freight is just tape that can be taken off with a hair dryer.
To deliver their heavy freight,probably contracting to owner operators & other LTL's who would love to get the business.
Were(Pulling For You) old timer!

nkLqES6.jpg

The only thing UPS values more than a dollar is their precious image, if they fail at a venture they look really bad, the industry analysts will dissect them for months, the shareholders will react. How could the biggest best run trucking company in the world fail at operating a trucking company? I will say it again, IT IS NOT OUR FAULT, it is their inept management and quest only for the "numbers", the package mentality doesn't work in the LTL segment. "We run the tightest ship in the shipping industry". My a$$.... With that said this contract will pass, either by lack of participation, or by a wide margin if we attain the % needed voting... Watch for management getting a BIG bonus it this POS passes....

VOTE NO call their bluff plenty of money $6 Billion profit no way in hell freight division shuts down companies want all services package and freight with one phone call!

That would make sense 1.7 billion for overnite then 1.8 billion for coyote for a total package of 3.5 billion and then still getting their asses handed to them from FEDEX FREIGHT,OLD DOMINION,XPO,AND VERY SOON ESTES WILL BE 5TH largest.gee it sounds like maybe another poor decision from management again

This is just a huge scare tactic that will probably work in conjuction with the fact that most people will not drive to their union Hall to vote. We won’t have the percentage numbers to fully vote it down and Teamsters will than claim we are ratified. Just like they did with small pack.

There is NO WAY they are going to dump freight division. Their portfolio of services does not allow them to have a missing link for customers to chose from. Especially when rival FedEx offers it. The Freight/ LTL division/ Supply chain is a big part of their success.

Right now UPS is cleaning the system out in the event a strike happens. They don’t want to burn bridges with customers, and have freight sitting stagnant in the system.

Sales force have been calling customers all day allowing them to divert their freight to other carriers for now. That’s integrity and transparency on their part. Again, they don’t want to burn the bridges. It’s a strategic move to keep customers by being honest.

Starting 11-1-18, UPS will pick up 5 day points, 11-2-18 will be 4 day points, 11-3-18 will be 3 day points etc.
I’m sure we will lose customers in the event of a strike or no strike . It’s going to take a lot to gain their trust and have them ship with us.

In the event that we are Ratified and the fact that UPS purged the system, it will be pretty slow.

I still say “vote no” on this last best final bread crumb of a crap deal. There is room for more negotiations and there are money reserves even though they claim not. (Poker game)
I feel we will cave in like the last time and it will be advantage UPS.

Their -UPS- tactic is definitely working once the labor sees that their not picking up the freight the sense of losing the job will become real. The conversations at home will become tense. The game of poker will be played out. Many times this has played out before and for that reason you make the money you do and have the protection of the Union to secure your work.

Everyone has an opinion and mine is stand the ground. The finances of every employee is at stake which they don’t care about but their reputation is on the line. They can afford to take a financial hit and they are counting on the members won’t. If this contract comes back with a fearful yes you can bet the next one will be much worse.

Good luck to ALL