Estes | Bid once a year? Yes or No

Nothing is really changing..The only thing that would change is, if a L/H driver has his run cancelled,he will be able to "bump bid", which practically everywhere else,is standard operating procedure..

I think what needs to be addressed here more than that is, how many more will be let go.How much more laying off will take place?You better worry about that, before you worry about what's going to be done to the bid process..Because I've heard some things that may or may not happen,that would be a lot worse than bidding..

Sorry BB.Guess I should have put the last statement in the RUMOR thread,but needed it to complete the quote..

Ya'll have a good weekend..Go Saints..Congrats to the LSU Tigers..

That's a fact. I can tell you I was bummed when they cut my run and I had to go back E/B.
But when they came in here doing the cuts that ole E/B job did'nt look so bad then!

Actually, KD, the ONLY fair way to bid is by length of service with the company!!!! That way there is no confusion. Should just have City and Road classes...bid once a year. I transfered to a terminal that I helped open, and got railroaded by this stupid classification rule. I had 7 years total length of service compared with the 2 1/2 years the driver that was awarded the run. Because he came from a small podunk town, and was thrown on flex line haul when it was slow, he recieved the bid. I came from a much larger terminal. Thats bull ::shit:: and you know it. Just like the utility hub drivers getting boned...guys had years in that "class". Two weeks b4 the REBID, they change it to linehaul utility and THEY lost all that time...got boned by sum smuck that has less time with the company. And it will happen again. I have 7 years, which aint much compared to your 15-20 (by the way, I'm only 31 so it's hard for me to have that much time), but I WILL get railroaded by this stupid bidding process again, along with the others that got boned b4. Ya, yur right i do like my seniority, but in this company it don't mean ::shit::. This company has a bunch of butt-kissing yes men it's ridiculous. By the way, I'm not Christian and do not need an invisble friend for adults.

Your right on, the Classification thing sucks, Road and City is the only way to be fair.
I got a little over 8 years, and they pretty much cancelled most of our linehaul runs got 4 left when we used to have 10 I was one guy away from having one.
We added that stupid Utility Linehaul, which the bottom guy took it cause who wants it.
It's like a part time job. Added two Hub Runs, and thats what I have seen they are getting rid of alot of the linehaul runs and making them hub.
Well what good will this Re-bid do if you can't bid on Hub runs.

yes we should bid once a year & BY COMPANY TIME,the date u were hired full time, part time should not count. this way the guys with time in get what they want, or at least the best they can get for their situation. maybe u want city this year, maybe L/H next year. if u have the seniority u can do that, isn't that what its for? this way if u get your perfect run & it gets cancelled & they put u on X/B you can bid something else at re-bid [no bumping]. no its not a perfect system (what is?) but at least if u do get fed to the wolves on the E/B you know that u only have to wait untill bid time to get another run of some kind or even back in the city if u want, after all, we are all drivers aren't we? each job has its pluses & miuses (city versus road versus hub) the whole point is u should be rewarded for time with the company not time within a certain job classification.

If you guys think so strongly about what you believe,then call the hill and let someone know..They do listen.They might not do it.But they do listen..

But. I will say one thing that Estes does not like..People jumping from one to another..City jumping to linehaul.Linehaul jumping to Hub and so forth.It sends payroll into a tail-spin..That's what bidding by company seniority would do..I'm not against it..Matter of fact, it might be a welcome change..

So, let them know how you feel..

I hear these p&d guys talking all the time..." I don't think I can stay awake that long. I'd be divorced if I were gone all week. Jody would steal my woman. Aint no way I'll stay in a bunkroom. I'll quit before i'd stay that long at a terminal. I never lost nothing up north. What's snow? Is New York a state? Whats a chicken house? Is it forced dispatch? Do you get paid while you wait? "

the snowballing effect of allowing a senior driver to bump a junior driver will have ill effect on all drivers, say you lose your run and your best friend has a good run and you bump him or her off it, then this will cause a hostile envirnoment among employees. The senior driver should be only allowed to take the bottom driver's bid run

I like whats been put forth. company time thing would be a headache and it will NOT happen. IF your city your city road, road etc, etc,..that's it. if you want another place ask your tm you want that said spot and when it comes available its yours. we all know one of the safest spots is a hub driver. ESTES love the hub drivers right now.

I hear these p&d guys talking all the time..." I don't think I can stay awake that long. I'd be divorced if I were gone all week. Jody would steal my woman. Aint no way I'll stay in a bunkroom. I'll quit before i'd stay that long at a terminal. I never lost nothing up north. What's snow? Is New York a state? Whats a chicken house? Is it forced dispatch? Do you get paid while you wait? "
that's great. I thought I only heard that at my company. I guess it's everywhere. LOL

I like whats been put forth. company time thing would be a headache and it will NOT happen. IF your city your city road, road etc, etc,..that's it. if you want another place ask your tm you want that said spot and when it comes available its yours. we all know one of the safest spots is a hub driver. ESTES love the hub drivers right now.

you may be right if you had a free for all combining all classes. Although if other companies do it I'm sure Estes could manage as well.

but company time within class would indeed work fine. All drivers are trained, all drivers are on class pay system, etc. It's just a matter of assignment and who gets what. Company time in class would be NO headace at all.

seniority by time in classification works in my opinion that way you don't have guys jumping all over the place and most everyone has a sense of purpose at least till next bid. Of course there will be hiccups in any system but I think that bidding every six months like some do would help ease some of the concerns of runs getting axed and guys having to bump bid.

Again do we won't the snow balling effect bumping a junior. driver why should a driver get 2 bump another off his or her bid. Are you too good to run extra board just a bunch of whinning drivers oooh I lost my run

the snowballing effect of allowing a senior driver to bump a junior driver will have ill effect on all drivers, say you lose your run and your best friend has a good run and you bump him or her off it, then this will cause a hostile environment among employees. The senior driver should be only allowed to take the bottom driver's bid run

It will be the bottom man that gets it..Evenually..Causes a ripple effect..To respond to "the friend" thing..If he's not accustomed to the bid process by now..Maybe he needs to search elsewhere..We're men here,not children..The friend will understand,I promise..When a new run comes available,it starts all over..See.It will work out..It's not the senior man's fault because he's been here longer..It's also not his fault his run got cancelled..As far as the "hostile environment"..Pampering is over at Estes, they say..Unless you happen to run out of a larger terminal..Remember, we are men, not boys..Take it down the street and solve it..

Now.With that being said..Most guys who come to work in this business know,or get to know the rules very quickly.. They know up-front what could or couldn't happen..Most city drivers stay in the city..The percentage of city drivers,going Linehaul,is very low..Most cannot stay awake at night..Most do not choose to be away from their families..Not that we like it..That's just the way it is..

Besides,I really don't think the "bidding by company seniority" will happen..So you don't have that to worry about..Very good statement you made though..There may be another 500 scenarios come about before this is settled..

Keep your head up,my brother.. Everything is going to be OK..

Again do we won't the snow balling effect bumping a junior. driver why should a driver get 2 bump another off his or her bid. Are you too good to run extra board just a bunch of whinning drivers oooh I lost my run

The only bid i'm gonna get, is only if i'm gonna pack a bag for this company any longer. So this bid thing does not effect me.
I met a driver in chicago that ran a meet run for the last 15 years, and recently lost it. He also has 7 years invested other than the 15. So, do u think that is a proper way to treat a man with 22 years of sweat,being rail roaded to packing a bag on xtra board ? Personally I would not like this form of treatment, and someday maybe that will be me with all that sweat invested, and I will have a way to avoid the same thing happening to me with the rebidding system they r putting in. Is it a perfect system ? No,but at least it's some kind of recourse to the system that currently blows !!

Agreed rjjr, it'll benefit all in the long run. Some guys just looking short term right now.

As far as them letting guys jump back and forth from L/H to P&D loon and BB I think are right, that probably ain't gonna ever happen.

I can tell you what Brenda from corporate said in our meeting as far as this rate war goes.
She said we are already getting customers back and the customers are saying "I miss my Estes driver".
Her exact words after that was "we keep hearing that over and over again".

A good salesman can get a account, but it takes a good P&D man to keep it. So it would be bad for biz. to keep switching the guys around like that.
Let that P&d man stay in those areas were the people know him and keep taking care of those customers.

Agreed rjjr, it'll benefit all in the long run. Some guys just looking short term right now.

As far as them letting guys jump back and forth from L/H to P&D loon and BB I think are right, that probably ain't gonna ever happen.

I can tell you what Brenda from corporate said in our meeting as far as this rate war goes.
She said we are already getting customers back and the customers are saying "I miss my Estes driver".
Her exact words after that was "we keep hearing that over and over again".

A good salesman can get a account, but it takes a good P&D man to keep it. So it would be bad for biz. to keep switching the guys around like that.
Let that P&d man stay in those areas were the people know him and keep taking care of those customers.

I don't think it could have been said any better..

At first I was against bumping, but that is already a done deal. I was against it 'cause I didn't want to bump another driver off his run and force him to go on the EB and be away from his family, but after talking to other drivers and thinking about it, it's not really a bad deal.

I have one of the lowest paying bid runs for the past 8 years because I know it's secure and will never be canceled. Therefore I never bid on another run 'cause I did not want it to get canceled and get forced to the EB. Now I can bid on a higher paying run and if it gets canceled I'll just bump the lower seniority driver off his run and still be home every morning. Seniority has it's privileges as they say and it should be that way. Why should I, with 13 yrs seniority, get forced to the EB for God knows how long when someone with only 3 years gets to keep his/her run? It may not be fair, but I've paid my dues and should reap the rewards. I've seen drivers with 20 yrs experience get forced to the EB because of canceled runs and restructuring and it really isn't fair.

Bidding every year is a good idea because one can try out different runs without fear of being forced to the EB if it gets canceled. You just bump a driver with less seniority and he does the same and so on until the lowest ranking driver with a run gets forced to the EB. When you get the seniority you too can reap the benefits. Till then, pay your dues as we all have and are doing. Don't like it? Then try and find employment elsewhere if they'll have you and you'll find it is far worse than here at "Big E".

Most lower ranking drivers with runs will not like it, but welcome to the 21st century and the new way of doing business. Difficult times demand changes and many will not like it, but when they too have the seniority they will be thankful for the new rules.

I believe Richmond just sent a memo out to stop the phone calls. They know what we know. Their is a rate cut battle going on right now. We are watching the accounts go to other outfits. I heard it from the big man himself. "Our prices are non negociable! It allows us to buy new equipment and give increases to the employees every year if other outfit want to haul it cheap, they cant have it."

So you guys think its alright that they changed my classification 6 months ago from hub to line haul??? I had x yrs on hub...now with this rebid, i'll be bidding w/10 months line haul and gonna lose my run to a guy with 3yrs with the company...I have 7 yrs with the company...thats fair eh....Any of you 20 something year drivers should'nt have anything to worry about right??? So in fact the company time bid WOULD work to everyones advantage...Less people would get railroaded this way...Don't forget how many drivers got shafted last year!!!! Hub utility guys lost all class time 2 weeks before the bid ( a few guys i know had 4-5 years in this, not counting their 10+ years with the company), line haul guys either bid on hub runs or went eb, hub runs got cancelled...talking about looking to the future in short term????? If it is a complete system rebid, than each class needs to be rebid through company time, and they can't jump class unless no one takes a particular bid in that class. If your in linehaul, than u can only bid in linehaul, so on and so on...You just should'nt be allowed to jump classes, i totally agree...But to get the "board" back to normal, it NEEDS to go by company time............................................................