FedEx Freight | Big changes coming gentlemen

Is it just me or are there some verbs missing from that post. And a couple of personal pronouns too.:confused:

Is it just me or are there some verbs missing from that post. And a couple of personal pronouns too.:confused:

Driver I is don't know what I think you is talking about cause I think you maybe don't really understand why we have to listen to this rattle on about nothing

conspiracy theory been with fedex 18 months and came from conway. the way there changing the operations remind of conway. there must be some body and management that came from there . i could see them buying a over the type carrier was there when conway did it.alot of short runs and they do a with some of the long runs. this is or would be a great investment for heavier freight plus they can haul truck . that conway did they got good business like catipillar. i dont mind dock days of a being a driver are over

We changed to what is affectionately known as the Conway model in 1996. (And by "we", I mean, AF.)

oaf

Old AF
I think we changed to a new AF model back then, not totaly the conway model, having lived through it like you ... I agreed early on it was a good move from what we were doing
the one bad thing from it we had gotten to big to be people and became #s
Most of the young pups here now (managment also) don't know what it was like to be part of a real team. a get it done team, who cared about the person working next to them, and the freight, and the company.

anyway, now
this is what we got

Old AF
I think we changed to a new AF model back then, not totaly the conway model, having lived through it like you ... I agreed early on it was a good move from what we were doing
the one bad thing from it we had gotten to big to be people and became #s
Most of the young pups here now (managment also) don't know what it was like to be part of a real team. a get it done team, who cared about the person working next to them, and the freight, and the company.

anyway, now
this is what we got

Yes, I think a more accurate description would be a modified-Conway/FedEx Express model. IIRC, Conway's model ran from the inside out (from the hubs to the satellites and back; not sure if they still do). We took the concept, flipped it around, and ran from the outside in (satellite to hub and back), more like how Express operates the air network.

And unfortunately, history is rife with what you're talking about: success and growth breeds uniformity and less personal interactions.

oaf

ARGolfer said:
has nothing to do with Harrison.. 99% of those folks are just like you, trying to do their job.. Bill Logue sits in Memphis and that is where the decsions are made..

I never understood why the CEO worked in a different place than where the home office is. Just shows he's not really calling the shots.

sorry to tell you but harrison will be gone..they were in charge of american frt (Not Fed Eex FRT) everything will be moving to memphis..

hemi1972 said:
sorry to tell you but harrison will be gone..they were in charge of american frt (Not Fed Eex FRT) everything will be moving to memphis..

Is the GO on the same property as the terminal? Im surprised they have room in Memphis to move them.Dont see why it would matter to us anyway.

was talking about the ceo's in harrison..why would they need them when they have them in memphis???

There is FedEx Freight Corp. and FedEx Freight Inc.

FXF Corp consists of Bill L., (pres and CEO); Pat R (EVP and COO), the CFO, the head of HR, the head of Legal, and a few others. Except for Pat, they are in Memphis, near Fred's office at FedEx Corporatation. Pat lives in Harrison, has an office there, as well as one in Memphis.

FXF Inc is what you and I work for, as well as most others in Harrison. That includes the heads of operations, linehaul, safety, and so forth, as well as their departments and those that report to other heads in Memphis (HR, security, etc).

There's no compelling reason to move (what I'm told is) 1,000 or so people - or their jobs - to Memphis when they would have to obtain office space and so forth, when they outright own (so I'm told) the GO in Harrison. Oh, but they could just train the Express people to do those jobs. Well, the problem there is that Express is an airline and they really don't like any co-mingling with those responsibilities. Plus those folks already have full time jobs.

Also, consider that several departments in Harrison work for FedEx Services (IT, marketing, sales, customer service, claims, and probably others). Those groups, while handling Freight-only issues, are part of a company that also supports the parcel side. There's probably 500 or so of them. Again, do you think they're going to spend millions to rent or build extra offices in Memphis instead of just writing a check for electricity and water in Harrison?

Common sense, folks, common sense.

oaf (doing my homework and asking questions)

why not paid 750 millions for watkins to go away freddie has alot money and there building some thing and memphis as we speak

Corps move all the time AF, or atleast threaten too, why? state tax breaks

I totally agree, when speaking in general terms. We're talking specifics here, though. When you own your property outright, as FXF does the HRO GO (all documented in the prospectus when FedEx bought AF; and yes, to whoever asked previously, I'm told that the terminal is on the same property), the tax breaks would have to be pretty significant to give that up. And I can't imagine that Tennessee, especially Shelby County, which is always reported to be notoriously underfunded, would want to make a deal that would make up that difference to the company.

There are other good reasons to move a GO type office, such as why we closed San Jose. Lease expiring, owner wanted to redevelop the property, ridiculous real estate costs in California, and so forth, plus the fact that we already had a functioning Freight GO in Harrison, which is MUCH closer to the mother ship. I'm just not seeing those reasons playing out, at least in the next couple of years.

That said, since I can't see how it would affect me, I guess it's largely a non-issue. Just something to stir the masses.

oaf