XPO | Big Meeting in October

The Rooster said:
Here's the scoop...from RM's up to the Big Wigs had to attend a meeting not too long ago in Texas. At that meeting, all attendees had to sign a confidentiality disclosure not to speak of what took place or they would lose their jobs. Now rumor has it that on Oct. 15th at the region meeting the TM's,FOM's and FOS's will be told whats going on, how to handle any questions any hourly employees may have and how to diffuse any talks of unions. Obviously the crap is going to hit the fan!

You know when I first heard that they were going to jerk our pensions, I thought "Screw them and Screw this!!" Then I got some sleep and calmed down a little bit, and by morning I was all upset again. This went on for about a week and decided to do something about it as I am a man of action (much like Tim Allen). So I asked around to determine who was hiring as I was ready to cash in my 8 years at CCX. As I asked around, I was looking for pay, benefits, and quality of life. Here is what I found:

Pay - Other carriers are paying slightly more or slightly less.

Benefits - I didn't find one carrier that paid as little for insurance as I had to even if they DO jump it to 3%. The 401K I could get better at another carrier with some but their investment firms suck. The pension is non-existent with anyone else but the Teamsters and I have a serious problem with the union (because of what they did to my old man...whole other thread) so they were out.

Quality of Life - No other carrier received hot drinks when it was cold and cold drinks when it was hot. Got as much food as we did (us fat kids love to eat us some food!) or were nearly as informed as we are. Therein lies part of our problem, I think we are TOO informed and when we hit the big dark road at night armed with our cellies and cb's, the rumors get going based on the info we DO have. Then we punch at the FAC's and we are all upset over the rumors that WE JUST KNOWINGLY FABRICATED and that cranky supervisor (by the way...he works at every other carrier too) that is powertripping telling us how to do OUR job and we screw up our customer's freight because we are p/o'd. Next we come home to pass it on to our city ops guys who in turn get even more upset about the rumors as they unload the freight that we jacked up and then say SCREW THE COMPANY as they don't re-coup the freight before putting it on the street thinking that they are going to cost the company. When in all reality, all we end up doing is ticking off a good customer for the last time and they pull the freight that was making my long run and fat check possible. So who lost? The company or us? (( ME!! ))

After this disgusting gut check I realized that I could leave and go somewhere else and maybe get more pay, a little more 401k to blow on the stock market, and put myself in a position to not make ANY difference at all. OR, I could stay right where I am. At least here, I have an IDEA of what might be happening and I do have senior DSR's that care about the history of what they have built that I can rest my loyalty on. Say what you want, but this company runs very lean. Very few companies have as few members of law enforce...I mean management between my boss and the head dog no matter who it might be. In a leanly ran company whether it is Banking, Restaurants, or Trucking, you have more involvement at the top. Which results in more opportunities to influence change if necessary. Maybe not right away, but the chance is there.

So here I am. Reading the rumors because I didn't get enough on my cell and cb last night and I reflect on what I wanted when I first came to Con-way, a chance. That is what keeps us all here I hope...a chance. The chance to make this right. Take my pension, increase my insurance and paint it/spin it however you want. That's fine, I have come to terms with it. All I ask is that you don't change what make us different, the opportunity to make change when necessary. To let you know when our company is off-track (see Damages thread). Whilst I may not make a difference right away, I have a CHANCE.

Thanks for listening the drowning rants of a sleepy fat dwarf who simply (and honestly- not kool aid induced) wants to take PRIDE in what he does.
RO

change

Ray D. Oh said:
You know when I first heard that they were going to jerk our pensions, I thought "Screw them and Screw this!!" Then I got some sleep and calmed down a little bit, and by morning I was all upset again. This went on for about a week and decided to do something about it as I am a man of action (much like Tim Allen). So I asked around to determine who was hiring as I was ready to cash in my 8 years at CCX. As I asked around, I was looking for pay, benefits, and quality of life. Here is what I found:

Benefits - I didn't find one carrier that paid as little for insurance as I had to even if they DO jump it to 3%. The 401K I could get better at another carrier with some but their investment firms suck. The pension is non-existent with anyone else but the Teamsters and I have a serious problem with the union (because of what they did to my old man...whole other thread) so they were out.

Quality of Life - No other carrier received hot drinks when it was cold and cold drinks when it was hot. Got as much food as we did (us fat kids love to eat us some food!) or were nearly as informed as we are. Therein lies part of our problem, I think we are TOO informed and when we hit the big dark road at night armed with our cellies and cb's, the rumors get going based on the info we DO have. Then we punch at the FAC's and we are all upset over the rumors that WE JUST KNOWINGLY FABRICATED and that cranky supervisor (by the way...he works at every other carrier too) that is powertripping telling us how to do OUR job and we screw up our customer's freight because we are p/o'd. Next we come home to pass it on to our city ops guys who in turn get even more upset about the rumors as they unload the freight that we jacked up and then say SCREW THE COMPANY as they don't re-coup the freight before putting it on the street thinking that they are going to cost the company. When in all reality, all we end up doing is ticking off a good customer for the last time and they pull the freight that was making my long run and fat check possible. So who lost? The company or us? (( ME!! ))

After this disgusting gut check I realized that I could leave and go somewhere else and maybe get more pay, a little more 401k to blow on the stock market, and put myself in a position to not make ANY difference at all. OR, I could stay right where I am. At least here, I have an IDEA of what might be happening and I do have senior DSR's that care about the history of what they have built that I can rest my loyalty on. Say what you want, but this company runs very lean. Very few companies have as few members of law enforce...I mean management between my boss and the head dog no matter who it might be. In a leanly ran company whether it is Banking, Restaurants, or Trucking, you have more involvement at the top. Which results in more opportunities to influence change if necessary. Maybe not right away, but the chance is there.

So here I am. Reading the rumors because I didn't get enough on my cell and cb last night and I reflect on what I wanted when I first came to Con-way, a chance. That is what keeps us all here I hope...a chance. The chance to make this right. Take my pension, increase my insurance and paint it/spin it however you want. That's fine, I have come to terms with it. All I ask is that you don't change what make us different, the opportunity to make change when necessary. To let you know when our company is off-track (see Damages thread). Whilst I may not make a difference right away, I have a CHANCE.

Thanks for listening the drowning rants of a sleepy fat dwarf who simply (and honestly- not kool aid induced) wants to take PRIDE in what he does.
RO
well said if i might say.come the 15th or 16th we will find out alot more and i hope we are not loosing our benes or 401k i know something is on the rise but my gut tells me to hang tough,as i will do for now.so all we have is hope for now.keep the dream alive.:USA:

Ray D. Oh said:

RO
That is one of the best posts I have read in a long time.You will have a Chance very soon to help make a change for the good.It will come in the form of a proxy.May be even help save something we have work on to be the best.The kool aid thing is just my way of busting on the blind,brain wash,yes men and lunch room hero's who are scared to take their head out of the sand.This is not you.You see a good thing in trouble and would like to fix it.And this will be done.

i agree

gfy said:
That is one of the best posts I have read in a long time.You will have a Chance very soon to help make a change for the good.It will come in the form of a proxy.May be even help save something we have work on to be the best.The kool aid thing is just my way of busting on the blind,brain wash,yes men and lunch room hero's who are scared to take their head out of the sand.This is not you.You see a good thing in trouble and would like to fix it.And this will be done.
it was very well said!! i dont think this guy belongs here?? sounds like a teacher or something.

THANK YOU!!

I actually do have a teaching degree!!! Unfortunately, our teachers are exceptionally under paid, not treated very well, and rediculously mal-nutritioned. Not on the unhealthy side, on the side of not enough food. I like food.........alot.

wipeyourmgmt said:
it was very well said!! i dont think this guy belongs here?? sounds like a teacher or something.
No matter what the dept of labor said.For the most part we our not un-skilled labor.Some of the smartest people I knew work there.They the management are to dumb to see it.That our edge.Never let them see you coming.

Ray D.O. Very well said. I also think what you have written speaks to the majority of DSR's not the minority. Remember, until it is presented to us everything else is speculation.

FREIGHT COP said:
All three components are holding a meeting on the same date in October. Representatives from CTS will be there.
What is our fate in the future?

It's called a region meeting. We have them every year.

gfy said:
Thats what I said to a F.O.S. last night.And he said we just had ours.

Hmmm...that's odd. My region is on the 15th. Oh well, maybe someone took their own region meeting as a "doomsday" meeting.

RoadRage76 said:
Hmmm...that's odd. My region is on the 15th. Oh well, maybe someone took their own region meeting as a "doomsday" meeting.
To much going on and no word from the glass house.The H/R meetings take place 1 or two at a time.Not the who cooperation in one shot.