Big news !! will it happen ?

Riteway

TB Lurker
Credits
Mirror Mirror on the wall, will the dock become Union after all:19: o yes they hope ..Go for it guys you have most of the drivers and office support .. I was told from a sales person that management are :crybaby:about this now .. :duh::452: .. Once again how can you not take care of the people for six years ? This is what your going to get **** if you give your people ****... Good luck people :guiness: be strong .. amazing 3000 people looked at the last post ..:couch: And yes i get offer-time and pay 45 a week in Medical .. FAMILY ON IT !!!! :grouphug: .. For six years who is counting all the pennies at that place ?

I don't know where you get your information Riteway, but i haven't found a single office person who is interested in unionizing NCT... i have done a lot of research and don't think this is the best move for us, i am new here at New Century but a union won't solve anything.

I don't know where you get your information Riteway, but i haven't found a single office person who is interested in unionizing NCT... i have done a lot of research and don't think this is the best move for us, i am new here at New Century but a union won't solve anything.

Jb,I worked their for a couple of years a little over a year ago.One of the things,I noticed was that place has way too much management.Wish you guys the best..

a9faninnc, seems like they trimmed out the unnecessary folks to me from what i heard; reduced some of the senior management in January of this year. From my point of view it looks like they are really making a solid effort to turn things around here for us, just my observation. I just don't understand all the hate that gets posted on here, all the folks i have interacted with are really motivating, and concerned with the stae of the industry...not just the company. I will continue working for people that make me feel appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback #keepontrucking

a9faninnc, seems like they trimmed out the unnecessary folks to me from what i heard; reduced some of the senior management in January of this year. From my point of view it looks like they are really making a solid effort to turn things around here for us, just my observation. I just don't understand all the hate that gets posted on here, all the folks i have interacted with are really motivating, and concerned with the stae of the industry...not just the company. I will continue working for people that make me feel appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback #keepontrucking

Dont sweat the hate.99% of it comes from one former employee..

Do really think your coworkers/office personal would really tell u how they think? They will tell you what you want to hear and most likely do the opposite for spite if they R pissed off! I have seen it done first hand.

Bosslinco76, yeah people will give you an honest opinion of the company. Besides I'm not talking to JUST office personnel...shop, fellow drivers, even an intern. Everyone has a different perspective, which is why you can just speak to one department, when really trying to look into the future of a company it is essential to get a broad understanding of the company. People certainly can change opinions based on mood but the message here seems pretty consistent.

@A9faninnc i see what you mean, guess someone is pushing their personal vendetta on here...

rumor has it they will be voting next Thursday, and if they vote to unionize, rumor is NCT will be shut down. Now that is an adult way to handle things isn't it. Sounds like a tempter tantrum. They make 600,000+ and they can't pay their dock workers overtime?

rumor has it they will be voting next Thursday, and if they vote to unionize, rumor is NCT will be shut down. Now that is an adult way to handle things isn't it. Sounds like a tempter tantrum. They make 600,000+ and they can't pay their dock workers overtime?

Don't forget the hourly drivers getting all the straight time u can stomach. In my view it is just plain wrong, I do not care whether you are union or not it is wrong you should pay OT after 8 if not 40hrs. Hiding behind the Railroad Act to avoid paying OT to your dockmen or dockladies and drivers is just plain an explotation of the ACT. This just puts more money in the owners pockets and screws the worker in general!

Don't forget the hourly drivers getting all the straight time u can stomach. In my view it is just plain wrong, I do not care whether you are union or not it is wrong you should pay OT after 8 if not 40hrs. Hiding behind the Railroad Act to avoid paying OT to your dockmen or dockladies and drivers is just plain an explotation of the ACT. This just puts more money in the owners pockets and screws the worker in general!

While I do agree with OT after 40 would be great everywhere,most of the dockhands and drivers knew this company did not pay it when they applied.Maybe they should have tried landing one that did or seek one that does.When I worked there,alot of things the recruiter said did not turn out to be completely true(go figure),but I was very clear about the OT rules.

While I do agree with OT after 40 would be great everywhere,most of the dockhands and drivers knew this company did not pay it when they applied.Maybe they should have tried landing one that did or seek one that does.When I worked there,alot of things the recruiter said did not turn out to be completely true(go figure),but I was very clear about the OT rules.

Which is better, a company that does not pay overtime, or a company that closes down and everyone is out of a job? Yes, the OTL drivers get screwed, but is the battle worth loosing your job completely? Maybe for you young people the answer is yes.

Which is better, a company that does not pay overtime, or a company that closes down and everyone is out of a job? Yes, the OTL drivers get screwed, but is the battle worth loosing your job completely? Maybe for you young people the answer is yes.

When you do not take a stand for what is right and fair you end up old and worrying about losing your job to someone that takes a stand .

In theory yes, but in the real world being older and loosing your job because of this is not good for you or your family. Reality is if they vote this way, yes, they have taken a stand. Will it make a difference, no it won't. If the company shuts down then taking a stand has only made matters worse for some employees. Some of you can go elsewhere. Some of us are screwed with not being able to provide for our family, especially when it concerns insurance.

In theory yes, but in the real world being older and loosing your job because of this is not good for you or your family. Reality is if they vote this way, yes, they have taken a stand. Will it make a difference, no it won't. If the company shuts down then taking a stand has only made matters worse for some employees. Some of you can go elsewhere. Some of us are screwed with not being able to provide for our family, especially when it concerns insurance.

You missed the whole point

You missed the whole point

Is is fair to accept a job from an employer,when you know upfront what the pay is and how it is distributed.However,after a year of working there,you start demanding changes that wasn't there when you voluntarily accepted the job???Should OT pay be mandatory???I think so,but its not....Maybe if a person sought a job that paid OT,maybe he should have researched the market a little better,or accept a straight time job while searching for another one.Mandatory OT will sadly have to come from the Federal level in our industry..

I think Ine,s point was,standing up for something you knew did not exist when you accepted the job,wouldn't mean anything if the company closes shop.And if it does close up,older drivers would find it harder to find comparable work.

The OT law should be fought at the Federal level,hell everything else in this industry is mandated from it.

Is is fair to accept a job from an employer,when you know upfront what the pay is and how it is distributed.However,after a year of working there,you start demanding changes that wasn't there when you voluntarily accepted the job???Should OT pay be mandatory???I think so,but its not....Maybe if a person sought a job that paid OT,maybe he should have researched the market a little better,or accept a straight time job while searching for another one.Mandatory OT will sadly have to come from the Federal level in our industry..

I think Ine,s point was,standing up for something you knew did not exist when you accepted the job,wouldn't mean anything if the company closes shop.And if it does close up,older drivers would find it harder to find comparable work.

The OT law should be fought at the Federal level,hell everything else in this industry is mandated from it.
Or do they change the rules to fit the moment? My point was and is a person should work towards a secure retirement not worry about what some asshat corp is going to do to make the shareholders happy. Now that a person is up in age they feel they have to swallow whatever they are fed because they didn't plan or stick up for what is right.

Do the the math guys! How many dock workers are there? 100? 150? So if they vote this union in and I hear it is a machinist union how much more is the workers compensation going to cost the company? Lets go high and say 20% more. 20% for 6 years as that's what everyone has said it as been since they received a raise. That's 3.33 percent. So you all think they will shut the company because of this? Come on guys? I love the rumor mill, but saying they are going to shut the company over 100 guys gals is stupid. Also keep in mind the company can drag their feet and not sign a contract for years. The only ones who get rich are the lawyers. But go ahead spread he rumors.

The little bit I know about unions, dont think the hourly wage is the issue. Most LTL drivers are on par with scale. I believe its more the benefits, and more the work rules.
Been to enough union shops to see the work rules can be a real drag.