Big rig accident as me being passenger riding along, how is this situation handled for claims?

scooter8484

TB Lurker
Credits
Back on friday, I rode with a buddy of mine just for a ride along experience to keep him company. He didn't tell his company i was going, but I'm allowed to be in the truck, I think, because he used to ride with his uncle who works there, before he had cdl. My buddy said it would be alright. I asked if it was in fine print on their policy that passengers can be in there, but he wasn't positive. Breaks went out down a steep mountain hill and he had to hit the runaway ramp. truck rolled over and cab was smashed but we made it out alive. We are both home from hospital. I was only there for a few hours and he came home saturday. No broken bones. Still I got hospital costs. My buddy says I will still be able to get medical bills paid for. I was like not if they don't know that I was in there, how is that gonna work out? But, he has rode with his uncle before without cdls as a passenger. I'm not upset at my buddy at all, I'm glad he's okay and I'm okay, and he is a great driver. Paramedics said it happens all the time with trucks on that one hill every year and we are lucky to be alive. The mill's truck was an old kenworth box truck. No Jay break, only air breaks. This other guy that used to work there that my buddy knows, says the reason why he quit was because they didnt regularly check the trucks like they should, so he wouldnt be surprised since he had turned his truck sideways as well. That's all I know about trucks or big rigs, just there for the ride. Our lives are more important. I'm an adult. I didn't tell anyone I was or wasn't allowed to be in truck since I didn't know 100 percent. I just figured a lot of truckers have families that ride with them anyways. Or guys will take their wives.

I think you're screwed, and he's fired.

You should contact a lawyer for payments, as you will soon be buried in hospital bills that will not go away.

you were an unauthorized passenger. The insurance company may not pay you, so go get a lawyer, and, oh well, never do it again, UNLLESS YOU VERIFY you seen the passenger rider policy....

good luck, but do not expect to win a huge lawsuit...

hope your buddy finds a job, then again......he can be blackballed for violating any company policy on taking unauthorized passengers.

the past and what was allowed WAY BACK WHEN, DOES NOT APPLY to today's world....

FYI all if not most companies now need to know if anyone is in the truck with you for insurance reasons even if the company is self insured. Your buddy will be lucky if he doesn't get fired if the company insurance finds out

pay the bills and count your lucky stars you are alive. Was this the rollover in NC in Wilkes County

The company could sue you, saying you were a distraction to their driver.

Thanks people. Their insurance is covering everything. All medical bills, the only 2 shifts I was off from work and even my nook tablet and sketcher's shoe that I lost climbing out of wreckage.

Furthermore, his company actually wanted to have him back, is what he told me, and he is like hell no lol. I think something was wrong with their truck, just the way it was sounded, and that would be on their end. We are both doing great. I'm on an antibiotic now for the cuts, but they are healing. Lesson learned about me being a passenger. They are not suing me. We are still good friends, and he is good at computers and knows programming, so he is going into that line of work or something similar. Going to school for that. Heck, he is a lot better driver than I am. I'm no truck driver, honestly he knew what he was doing, something went wrong with that old kenworth box truck.