ABF | Bill to reform nation's multi-employer pension program introduced in Senate

mustache

TB Legend
Credits
http://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/20100325senate_bill_to_reform_pensions/

Of particular interest to the trucking industry is a provision of the Casey bill that would transfer all pension liabilities of "orphan" retirees—those who had worked at now-defunct trucking firms whose pensions are being funded by the surviving truckers—to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. (PBGC), a federal corporation that protects more than 29,000 pension plans. Under the Casey bill, the benefits to the "orphan" workers would be fully guaranteed so as to assure that the orphans continued to receive the same benefits they had collected under the multi-employer plan.
The bill would spell relief for unionized trucking companies responsible not only for the pensions of their own workers but of employees at failed businesses who may never have worked for the surviving companies. It would be a huge boon to YRC Worldwide Inc. and ABF Freight System, which employ about 45,000 unionized workers represented by the Teamsters. Casey introduced the bill at a YRC facility in Carlisle, Pa., with ABF and Teamster representatives also in attendance.

hopefully that addresses all the company :hissy: whining about that situation

what i never really understood was that these so called orphans when they were working had pension contributions made on their behalf for the life cycle of their employment so as far as i am concerned their participation in "reaping what they sowed" so to speak is completely just and justified and warranted

it is not their fault nor the union's fault that certain companies went belly up

the company's complaints about the pension withdrawal liability is bogus
this figure is only real if a company withdraws
stay in and they don't have to pay it!!!! :dance:

it seems to me the companies want us to just drop off the face of the earth when we depart from their employ :buttkisser:

to me it is just a cost of doing business
my response and advice to them is simple
don't be so generous with your bonus awards and you'll have a little more money to spare :thumbsup: