Holland | Bill Zollars says: 30% of drivers will be......

Benny Hill

I'm Back (kinda)
Credits
YRCW Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer, William D. Zollars stated, during a Q & A session at the "Q2 2008 YRC Worldwide Earnings Conference Call" on Friday, July 25, 2008 @ 9:30 a.m. ET, that by the end of the year 30% of YRCW's drivers would be Utility Employee's. You can listen to the whole thing if you go to the link below. You have to give a name and an email address to register to be able to listen.

YRC Worldwide- Event Details

Being T.J. was the "father of utility employees" during negotiations, I think we should honor his achievement. When he reports to the IBT marble palace hand him proper toilet cleaning gear and inform him he has been redesignated as a "utility employee". He will receive $1 per hr. more but his dues will be going up $2 per month. And when he is done in the men's room Jr.'s shoes need a good shining. :butt kiss: :hysterical:

YRCW Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer, William D. Zollars stated, during a Q & A session at the "Q2 2008 YRC Worldwide Earnings Conference Call" on Friday, July 25, 2008 @ 9:30 a.m. ET, that by the end of the year 30% of YRCW's drivers would be Utility Employee's. You can listen to the whole thing if you go to the link below. You have to give a name and an email address to register to be able to listen.

YRC Worldwide- Event Details
It was quiet interesting the email he put out to all Holland and Reddway managers I seen in Des Moines from a Joliet Driver saturday morning, saying that since we have the USF companys operating well we made a profit, sounds like he needs to look at who hasn't made money! Bill Zollars always beats around the bush because he does'n't want to admit that the Parent company is in trouble and needs someone else to blame!

Let me see if I got this straight? Being a UE means a start time, 5 day work week,overtime after 8, sleeping in your own bed every day(night),eating with your family every day at a table,going to kids (grand kids) ballgames, no more motels, sleeping with your wife. I'm sure I'm missing something but HOW DARE THEYlet me have somewhat of a normal job and life. I have not seen any ue drivers on here complaining about their jobs!! I just want to say IBTthanks ,job well done

Let me see if I got this straight? Being a UE means a start time, 5 day work week,overtime after 8, sleeping in your own bed every day(night),eating with your family every day at a table,going to kids (grand kids) ballgames, no more motels, sleeping with your wife. I'm sure I'm missing something but HOW DARE THEYlet me have somewhat of a normal job and life. I have not seen any ue drivers on here complaining about their jobs!! I just want to say IBTthanks ,job well done
Thats because they are to busy complaining in the drivers room about how they are just barely getting 40hrs. :1036316054:

You are comparing UE to linehaul open board is why dgfcby. AND you have failed to take into account the pay difference. Do the math yourself, somebody on a 450 mile turn bid that would still be home every day versus running the same bid on hourly. Mileage/hourly pay will beat UE pay evertime, the only exception being if you were driving in snow conditions. Even with a bad winter you will still come out ahead on current linehaul mileage/hourly pay.

Also to be taken into consideration is to become a UE you must bid to city board, which could mean a loss in seniority position for a lot of linehaul drivers. The reason you have not seen any UE drivers on here complaining is because the vast majority of them were city drivers. :hide:

Please let me get out my crayolas and draw you the picture because you don't seem to get it on your own.
To start out with if you would look at some of my previous post you will see I have said the UE position is OK for local cartage but the death blow for the linehaul driver.
1. When the UE position takes affect the linehaul short runs (ie, IN/CH IN/BN IN/SB ) will be run by UE instead.
2. When a open board driver comes into a term that has UE drivers with 390 or so miles for the night he will most likely find them out of frt and go to bed early with a mini or close to it.(already happening to the open board at UE terminals).
3.Talk to a layed off linehaul driver and most will tell you they don't have a chance in hell of getting a UE position and are lucky if they can get one or two days on the dock.Try paying H&W out of that check.
4. A lot of linehaul drivers took this job knowing of the availability of lay-down or longer bids(also knowing that it wasn't guaranteed) and live a long distance only to have those runs eliminated and drive a long distance for only a mini
Now for the local cartage drivers its a different story. A dollar more an hr plus getting off the dock away from prying eyes and not having to deal with customers.
This is a one sided deal to say the least without going into the handicapping of the terminals that have multiple boards over those with single boards.
As was posted WHAT'S WRONG WITH A MINI ??? Well if you don't mind going from $ 90,000.00 + a year to $60,000.00 or less a year or being layed off while a junior man works your frt then hell if I know. Oh you may ask how will a younger man work your frt ?? Lets suppose the line haul driver that ran IN-TO was laid off and this bid was eliminated for a UE to be run by a senior local cartage man on a bid. Now he goes on vacation and a junior local man fills in while the senior linehaul sits home, What fair about that ?? :chairshot:

Please let me get out my crayolas and draw you the picture because you don't seem to get it on your own.
To start out with if you would look at some of my previous post you will see I have said the UE position is OK for local cartage but the death blow for the linehaul driver.
1. When the UE position takes affect the linehaul short runs (ie, IN/CH IN/BN IN/SB ) will be run by UE instead.
2. When a open board driver comes into a term that has UE drivers with 390 or so miles for the night he will most likely find them out of frt and go to bed early with a mini or close to it.(already happening to the open board at UE terminals).
3.Talk to a layed off linehaul driver and most will tell you they don't have a chance in hell of getting a UE position and are lucky if they can get one or two days on the dock.Try paying H&W out of that check.
4. A lot of linehaul drivers took this job knowing of the availability of lay-down or longer bids(also knowing that it wasn't guaranteed) and live a long distance only to have those runs eliminated and drive a long distance for only a mini
Now for the local cartage drivers its a different story. A dollar more an hr plus getting off the dock away from prying eyes and not having to deal with customers.
This is a one sided deal to say the least without going into the handicapping of the terminals that have multiple boards over those with single boards.
As was posted WHAT'S WRONG WITH A MINI ??? Well if you don't mind going from $ 90,000.00 + a year to $60,000.00 or less a year or being layed off while a junior man works your frt then hell if I know. Oh you may ask how will a younger man work your frt ?? Lets suppose the line haul driver that ran IN-TO was laid off and this bid was eliminated for a UE to be run by a senior local cartage man on a bid. Now he goes on vacation and a junior local man fills in while the senior linehaul sits home, What fair about that ?? :chairshot:
Well stated! That was put in about the best way possible. I ran my wheels off all year last year, all summer fall and even winter. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year not even a slight let up. Now, a few weeks after implementation af the UE and guess where I am and have been for a few weeks now? Yep, sittin' at home waiting for a call back. Doubt it will ever come. If I don't get called back at the end of the month like it is right now, forget about it!

That was a very good post by usf-indy :1036316054: I wonder how long it will take before the brains behind the UE's discover they are not going to run like linehaul drivers? Freight will be sitting as the UE's look to maximize their income by driving slower and working slower. Instead of putting in a 14 hr shift I can see them wanting to skate after 10 so they can make an early tee time in the morning :biglaugh:

I have worked at two places where you could run hourly or mileage and it was my experience that pay equaled out at about 12 hours. Time and a half would beat mileage beyond that, think a "dollar more per" would bring the break even point earlier in the day. Personaly I see this as a way to beat work rules more than save money. Not a line driver so I may be way off base and I don't know how many 12 hours days are worked regulary, which would throw my theory out the window :shrug:

I think you said a mouthfull .Beating work rules is what's it's all about.
I've been in the industry for awhile . This is just to get around work rules take that to the bank..

It Is What It Is.
It's a Done Deal.
$90,000 to $60,000 is considerably less but $60,000 is nothing to shake a stick at considering "It Is What It Is" by a majority vote.
Lets hope that, with more flexibility and faster service, that those LH drivers who are layed off are given EU opportunity even if it will "only" be a mere $60,000 a year.

This is what I was referring to:

John Barnes - BB&T Capital Markets
Okay and then could you give us an idea of the percentage of man-hours, dock hours or whatever, that are now being worked by either the utility employee or the four hour casual?

William D. Zollars
We are in the early days, obviously. It is not a very big percentage yet. By the time we get through all three phases it will be a significant, maybe 30% or so of our drivers I think is the number that we were talking about.

Where do you expect it by year end?

William D. Zollars
That is the number. Somewhere in the 30s.

About 30% by year end? Alright, very good. Thanks for your time guys.

From the conference call 7/25/2008.

Read it at: YRC Worldwide Inc., Q2 2008 Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

USF Indy excellent post I'm glad you used the crayons so some could finally figure it out. I just wish you would have made the letters bigger.:hysterical:

use your Crayola's to draw stick figures in a cave!!! wake up and smell the coffee, linehaul and breakbulk terminals are dinosaurs!!! how many linehaul drivers does ups, ups freight, fed ex, old dom.,estes, con-way and every other ltl carrier have? the ue will be 30% this year probably 75% next. Those still on linehaul what is wrong with 390 miles a night Why do you need 600? It's not the companys or IBT fault when a driver lives so far away (maybe didn't know where term. was at when they hired) things never stay the same in life as well as jobs ,if it don't work out move on. How do you think all the GM workers feel about all the lay-offs and job loses? Maybe the UAW sold them down the river. If this ue don't work out you won't have to worry about mini days ,you can go get a 12-15 an hour truck driving job. I hope you know of a non union driver working TL freight gone all week bring home 700-750 with no benefits. A 50-60k job with full medical, full pension and lots of home time is so bad ask a non working that tl frieght what they think. AS for a jr. man working and sr. man sitting, that can't happen if they are both out of same term. do you want company wide seniority or term. seniority? you can't have both ways.All this fussing and complaining will not change anything now This is what we have and we have to make it work or well you guess

AS for a jr. man working and sr. man sitting, that can't happen if they are both out of same term. do you want company wide seniority or term. seniority?

It CAN and IS happening when you have 2 boards and 20 layed off road drivers and no layed off local cartage the local cartage guys are filling in the UE postion. We have road drivers with more than a year in and layed off. 10%ers filling in at UE

you forgot that linehaul drivers are being laid off at the same number rate of utility jobs that are added. Local carthage board is getting bigger while the linehaul is shrinking, and it wont get better for the linehaul in the future.... :duh:
"I have not seen any ue drivers on here complaining about their jobs!!" that is a false statement .... most utility drivers bidded on these jobs to keep the linehaul from crossing over to the local carthage board, then they want to re-bid the city board so they can bump the UE jobs to the bottom of the city board ( so they can protect the 2 0r 3 year city employees).
line haul is geting the shaft ..... the company wants the road board deleted or down-sized
I would think a little bit b4 spouting off
Im embarrassed for you .... "thank you ibt" :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
eww I would ask someone to delete that post there dgfcby