Central Transport | Bills per hour

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
Now they are starting to question drivers BPH......Really......It needs to 2.5.....Really....If you have a city route that is in a 5 mile square with many customers on the same street that ship multiple shipments your bills per hour will be high....If you pickup drop trailers that say have 20 bills your bills per hour will be high....But if you have a 200 or 300 mile peddle and are covering many cities....or you do early appts that requires a sort and seg you wont do many BPH....Surely they are not that stupid and understand that. These supervisors must justify there existence I suppose by trying to stream line things by increasing productivity with these numbers off these tablets....Ok we can play that...But that stop that used to take 5 min. to get in and out of now takes 30 min...See it just wasn't ready and I had to wait....Oh.....you want to call and verify that...Go ahead and catch him now, because we are going to shoot some pool after work. Two can play these games. You want and try to pressure us....All I can say is come-on...Bring it. They need to divide the total bill count each day by the number of drivers...We do work as a team...Right? What peddle drivers do or utility drivers do is allow these high density routes to do what they do. This place never ceases to amaze me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen management try to use bph as a motivational tool for years now. Chris means in the big picture, a total average for drivers. If they acheive 2.5 this week, they will want 2.7 next, 3.1 the next, and so on. Kinda reminds me of my wife...

this might be part of the next tablet upgrade? a while ago TM said we are getting some changes as to how the info appears (and hopefully being able to take pics BEFORE entering bill info) one was to be called "report card" i asked what that was, he did not know or would not answer, another driver yelled they had that at FE when his neighbor worked there, tracked everything you did down to the second. BPH is a joke, like already been said, we have 5 FE that cover the same area we do, all of this will be used to cheat us out of our long overdue raises, i can see it coming. one of our routes starts in town, and 5 to 15 stops ends 60 miles away, 1 to sometime 5 pics on way home, but yet another goes 70 miles or so to first drop, and far end of route is 125 or so away (all 2 lane roads except last 40 miles to yard, so 2.5 hours on a good day) and that route may have 2 to 5 stops, 1 to 3 pics, but we are forced to do it due to "national accounts". so, whatever driver gets stuck with that will always get an "F" on his report card? TM will not allow that to happen to his "choice drivers" if this does really come out, i see guys changing routes based on chasing report cards instead of working an area they know dock guys by first name and know their hours ect.

All of this is based off the FE system which believes trucking can be run from the inside of an office and consists of numbers instead of freight, people, equipment, etc.

I rarely see anyone above a supervisor each day out on the dock anymore, except when the TM goes to smoke.

Nero fiddles as Rome burns.

this might be part of the next tablet upgrade? a while ago TM said we are getting some changes as to how the info appears (and hopefully being able to take pics BEFORE entering bill info) one was to be called "report card" i asked what that was, he did not know or would not answer, another driver yelled they had that at FE when his neighbor worked there, tracked everything you did down to the second. BPH is a joke, like already been said, we have 5 FE that cover the same area we do, all of this will be used to cheat us out of our long overdue raises, i can see it coming. one of our routes starts in town, and 5 to 15 stops ends 60 miles away, 1 to sometime 5 pics on way home, but yet another goes 70 miles or so to first drop, and far end of route is 125 or so away (all 2 lane roads except last 40 miles to yard, so 2.5 hours on a good day) and that route may have 2 to 5 stops, 1 to 3 pics, but we are forced to do it due to "national accounts". so, whatever driver gets stuck with that will always get an "F" on his report card? TM will not allow that to happen to his "choice drivers" if this does really come out, i see guys changing routes based on chasing report cards instead of working an area they know dock guys by first name and know their hours ect.
just remember safety 1st Email everything cover your a$$e$. Take you lunch away form work duties. then Wait for for raises. to change your work habits.

I'll say this again the same thing I've told plenty of supervisors I have a jump seat in my truck and you are more than welcome to sit there if you have a problem with my performance, only requirement I have is no one in office can know you are there, to this day I have never had one take me up on that, and probably never will.

There are a lot of silly measurements in the LTL world. SPH (stops per hour) what good is that? LTL carriers don't get paid for stops, they get paid for each bill they handle. Therefore, the SPH measurement is meaningless, it does not take into account how many miles the driver travels, and certainly does not account for the revenue of the bill or bills at each stop.. There is only one measurement that should really matter, and that is the amount of revenue that is on each trailer. However, that measurement would involve the sales group that is out there soliciting the business that is on the truck line. Think about it this way, each trailer that departs a terminal is only as profitable as the amount of revenue that is on the trailer, this applies whether its a LH schedule, or a P&D route. If a carrier wants to measure the true productivity of a city driver, which is what SPH is, they need to take into account a ratio of the number of stops on the route divided by the number of miles driven. In other words, look at the stops made per mile driven. This measurement, stops per mile driven, would show the efficiency of not only the p&d driver, but also the IB planner, and city dispatcher. At the end of the day, its all about revenue per trailer. LTL trailers are like 737's at SW Airlines. In other word's, SW Airlines is focused on REVENUE per FLIGHT, nothing more and nothing less.

There are a lot of silly measurements in the LTL world. SPH (stops per hour) what good is that? LTL carriers don't get paid for stops, they get paid for each bill they handle. Therefore, the SPH measurement is meaningless, it does not take into account how many miles the driver travels, and certainly does not account for the revenue of the bill or bills at each stop.. There is only one measurement that should really matter, and that is the amount of revenue that is on each trailer. However, that measurement would involve the sales group that is out there soliciting the business that is on the truck line. Think about it this way, each trailer that departs a terminal is only as profitable as the amount of revenue that is on the trailer, this applies whether its a LH schedule, or a P&D route. If a carrier wants to measure the true productivity of a city driver, which is what SPH is, they need to take into account a ratio of the number of stops on the route divided by the number of miles driven. In other words, look at the stops made per mile driven. This measurement, stops per mile driven, would show the efficiency of not only the p&d driver, but also the IB planner, and city dispatcher. At the end of the day, its all about revenue per trailer. LTL trailers are like 737's at SW Airlines. In other word's, SW lAirlines is focused on REVENUE per FLIGHT, nothing more and nothing less.
LTL= little to late

There are a lot of silly measurements in the LTL world. SPH (stops per hour) what good is that? LTL carriers don't get paid for stops, they get paid for each bill they handle. Therefore, the SPH measurement is meaningless, it does not take into account how many miles the driver travels, and certainly does not account for the revenue of the bill or bills at each stop.. There is only one measurement that should really matter, and that is the amount of revenue that is on each trailer. However, that measurement would involve the sales group that is out there soliciting the business that is on the truck line. Think about it this way, each trailer that departs a terminal is only as profitable as the amount of revenue that is on the trailer, this applies whether its a LH schedule, or a P&D route. If a carrier wants to measure the true productivity of a city driver, which is what SPH is, they need to take into account a ratio of the number of stops on the route divided by the number of miles driven. In other words, look at the stops made per mile driven. This measurement, stops per mile driven, would show the efficiency of not only the p&d driver, but also the IB planner, and city dispatcher. At the end of the day, its all about revenue per trailer. LTL trailers are like 737's at SW Airlines. In other word's, SW Airlines is focused on REVENUE per FLIGHT, nothing more and nothing less.
There is really nothing to add to that....It is 100% correct...It has always has amazed me how people with these college degrees can't understand that....You know the people that are running this company. Is it so hard? Truly what is their problem? It seems real simple. Efficiency is the key...Yet they want to look in all the wrong places. I'm truly at a loss. If they want to pick a battle...Pick one thats worth fighting. Pick one that can actually make a difference.

Now they are starting to question drivers BPH......Really......It needs to 2.5.....Really....If you have a city route that is in a 5 mile square with many customers on the same street that ship multiple shipments your bills per hour will be high....If you pickup drop trailers that say have 20 bills your bills per hour will be high....But if you have a 200 or 300 mile peddle and are covering many cities....or you do early appts that requires a sort and seg you wont do many BPH....Surely they are not that stupid and understand that. These supervisors must justify there existence I suppose by trying to stream line things by increasing productivity with these numbers off these tablets....Ok we can play that...But that stop that used to take 5 min. to get in and out of now takes 30 min...See it just wasn't ready and I had to wait....Oh.....you want to call and verify that...Go ahead and catch him now, because we are going to shoot some pool after work. Two can play these games. You want and try to pressure us....All I can say is come-on...Bring it. They need to divide the total bill count each day by the number of drivers...We do work as a team...Right? What peddle drivers do or utility drivers do is allow these high density routes to do what they do. This place never ceases to amaze me.

Train, you are 100% correct in everything you say. Mgmt knows who the hard workers are and who the slackers are. I know you are kidding also about goofing off and stealing time. The tablets of course have GPS so corporate will have the capacity to watch every single move we make at some point. Don't think they invest the money right now but you can purchase higher levels of "pinging" on the tablets so they have the potential to know exactly where you are and where you have been down to the very minute. Don't try and stop for a "nooner" with your sweetie!

Train, you are 100% correct in everything you say. Mgmt knows who the hard workers are and who the slackers are. I know you are kidding also about goofing off and stealing time. The tablets of course have GPS so corporate will have the capacity to watch every single move we make at some point. Don't think they invest the money right now but you can purchase higher levels of "pinging" on the tablets so they have the potential to know exactly where you are and where you have been down to the very minute. Don't try and stop for a "nooner" with your sweetie!
I am kidding of course, but they must learn to pick their battles better. I let them get under my skin at times and I shoot my mouth off....There are so many times I have re-read things I've posted and said....Did I say that? Damn I'm stupid....But as we all know...Once its out there....Its out there. No take backs.

we had a t.m. that was talking with a group of drivers and said that we should be able to do three stops an hour, we all started laughing at him.

Stops per hour? How would you calculate inside deliveries, shopping mall deliveries, military facilities deliveries, construction site deliveries, residential deliveries, long carries, elevators, flights of stairs, etc., etc., etc.? Get the picture? One city driver has mostly 2-3 skid stops at docks, he could show WAY more efficiency than another city driver with only a few of those I mention. The other day I had building materials for a shopping center on a military base that was hand-unload, inside delivery! Anyone of you wanna venture a guess how long that 1 stop with one 400 lb. skid took? See what I mean? Desk jockeys have NO CLUE what we go through in a day! It is only a numbers game to them. Turn the speed limit on the trucks down, turn the truck off at every stop, lock your doors, chock your wheels, enter time arrived on your D.R. AND your tablet, roll the skid to the rear of your trailer, take a photo of it with your tablet, (make sure you are using 3 points of contact while entering and exiting your trailer) cut the shrink wrap down, stack as many cartons as possible on your hand trucks, make many trips inside, over the curbs, in the rain, dodging cars, dodging shoppers inside, begging for SOMEBODY to PRINT and sign their name legibly, secure your hand trucks, and pallet jacks, remove wheel chocks, enter consignees name, (Hopefully everything delivered ok) , show enroute to next stop, and then WHalla!!! You are done! You just have to do that 20 times a day while keeping in mind which stop is gone to lunch, which one closes early, making pickups, "working around other freight" , and all the while you are keeping a smile on your face worrying just how long your company will remain in business!

I am a neebie on the forum and at the v I just read and take everybodys comment in and just shake my head, but today I think I want to say alittle, not to **** anybody off but just to comment and get some response,for one we all have a choice to eather work here or move on period,if you choose to stay I think you would want to make this place move forward ,somebody said that management is the problem maybe so but if you are a guy with 10 + years give the guys with less time a kick in the ass if they aren't pulling there weight ,don't beat them down like u probably would like to do but I think if u speak the newbies will listen,i guess the word newbies is not the right choice but I think u understand what im trying to say,i mean this place pays your bills bought your homes xmas gifts and a lot more lets just push forward,im all in call me stupid or whatever , I could ramble on and on, if you hate it here and its so bad all I can say is get another job plane and simple ,you will probably be the same way there to.so I think I will stop there I have more but will take my lumps now and go to work Monday and be thankful .

I am a neebie on the forum and at the v I just read and take everybodys comment in and just shake my head, but today I think I want to say alittle, not to **** anybody off but just to comment and get some response,for one we all have a choice to eather work here or move on period,if you choose to stay I think you would want to make this place move forward ,somebody said that management is the problem maybe so but if you are a guy with 10 + years give the guys with less time a kick in the ass if they aren't pulling there weight ,don't beat them down like u probably would like to do but I think if u speak the newbies will listen,i guess the word newbies is not the right choice but I think u understand what im trying to say,i mean this place pays your bills bought your homes xmas gifts and a lot more lets just push forward,im all in call me stupid or whatever , I could ramble on and on, if you hate it here and its so bad all I can say is get another job plane and simple ,you will probably be the same way there to.so I think I will stop there I have more but will take my lumps now and go to work Monday and be thankful .
I know where you are coming from...Really I understand what you are saying. But we can't do our jobs if we are set up to fail. When you have tried so hard for so long...Only time can make you understand that know matter how positive you are...no matter how many times you go that extra mile...Its means nothing if your management hasn't a clue on how the LTL business works. Most of our managers have very LTL experience.

or have higher aspirations than TM, ya know the type,,,,,, dam drivers won't obey, oh well, when is my promotion and raise coming?

or have higher aspirations than TM, ya know the type,,,,,, dam drivers won't obey, oh well, when is my promotion and raise coming?
Please don't hold your breath on the raises NW ....We want you around a long time.....You have a good fan base....And we really like you doing the research on important topics.