Central Transport | Bills per hour

Please don't hold your breath on the raises NW ....We want you around a long time.....You have a good fan base....And we really like you doing the research on important topics.

i dont mind throwing around the BS like others, BUT, some things that come up on here can lead someone down the wrong road due to someone stating opinions rather than the facts.

makes me think back to last summer when V was cracking down on logbooks, TM had a letter from safety reminding driving a commercial vehicle outside of V still counts in your logbook here.... then it hit the fan.....

safety said any vehicle over 26k in considered commercial and we have to log it, right away i told TM safety needs to check their facts before they go head to head with me, as usual he got upset with me for outsmarting
our own people again. i said i weighed a little over 27k with my 5th wheel travel trailer, so they think that is commercial? incorrect from the word go, then came the "if you are so smart, than what is the law" statement. simple i said,
right on the homepage of the fmcsa is a paragraph entitles "what is a commercial vehicle" maybe safety should read that? any vehicle over 10k, or any weight with placards, used in a business nature, the 26k is where
ifta, irp, and cdl B kick in (we have classes abcd here, d is auto/cycle class, you need at least a C here to use placards even under 26k)

is was a few days before he would talk to me again.........again...again...again....again.....:Violin: things would be easier if higher ups would just understand that some of us feel we need to know more than just how to shift gears all day,
to me it is a sign of a company "being stuck up" for not tapping the knowledge of the people who work for them. we have former successful business owners who got tired of the rat race, 2 ex mechanics, a welder, a few who have got 2 times the ltl time as our TM, ect ect ect.

i dont mind throwing around the BS like others, BUT, some things that come up on here can lead someone down the wrong road due to someone stating opinions rather than the facts.

makes me think back to last summer when V was cracking down on logbooks, TM had a letter from safety reminding driving a commercial vehicle outside of V still counts in your logbook here.... then it hit the fan.....

safety said any vehicle over 26k in considered commercial and we have to log it, right away i told TM safety needs to check their facts before they go head to head with me, as usual he got upset with me for outsmarting
our own people again. i said i weighed a little over 27k with my 5th wheel travel trailer, so they think that is commercial? incorrect from the word go, then came the "if you are so smart, than what is the law" statement. simple i said,
right on the homepage of the fmcsa is a paragraph entitles "what is a commercial vehicle" maybe safety should read that? any vehicle over 10k, or any weight with placards, used in a business nature, the 26k is where
ifta, irp, and cdl B kick in (we have classes abcd here, d is auto/cycle class, you need at least a C here to use placards even under 26k)

is was a few days before he would talk to me again.........again...again...again....again.....:Violin: things would be easier if higher ups would just understand that some of us feel we need to know more than just how to shift gears all day,
to me it is a sign of a company "being stuck up" for not tapping the knowledge of the people who work for them. we have former successful business owners who got tired of the rat race, 2 ex mechanics, a welder, a few who have got 2 times the ltl time as our TM, ect ect ect.
Sadly we must live with the stigma that is associated with being a truck driver...In my life I have learned many things. Most accomplishments in my life I keep to myself. Only my family knows the things I have done and a few close friends....See I have no need to prove anything to anyone..I have no need to brag....I have found it is usually the loud mouth aggressive type "A" personality men that know the least, while men like myself, sorta quite, reserved , and soft spoke for the most part have vast amounts of knowledge...See you would never know because they never talk about it. Don't get me wrong I can get aggressive if my family is involved or I feel passionate about something that is worth making a stand for. But I pick my battles with extreme care. I don't think I'm better than anyone that walks on this planet earth...I try to always show respect to people even when sometimes they show me none at all. I never want to get down on their level and become the very thing I have fought my whole life against...Labeling people with extreme prejudice...I have always told everyone on here to try and keep this job in perspective, or any job for that matter. Family is the most important thing in this life. Everything else should come second. Be grateful for the things you have and try not to always complain about the things you don't. Good family life is never an accident but always an achievement by those who share it.

Last edited by a moderator:
stop damaging the freight, put contact names and phone numbers on bols,and charge redeliver and other charges, the bph will go up. how long do you sit because of something damaged or cant find someone to sign a bol. even worst, you cant get a control # from your own terminal because no one will answer the phone.
Now they are starting to question drivers BPH......Really......It needs to 2.5.....Really....If you have a city route that is in a 5 mile square with many customers on the same street that ship multiple shipments your bills per hour will be high....If you pickup drop trailers that say have 20 bills your bills per hour will be high....But if you have a 200 or 300 mile peddle and are covering many cities....or you do early appts that requires a sort and seg you wont do many BPH....Surely they are not that stupid and understand that. These supervisors must justify there existence I suppose by trying to stream line things by increasing productivity with these numbers off these tablets....Ok we can play that...But that stop that used to take 5 min. to get in and out of now takes 30 min...See it just wasn't ready and I had to wait....Oh.....you want to call and verify that...Go ahead and catch him now, because we are going to shoot some pool after work. Two can play these games. You want and try to pressure us....All I can say is come-on...Bring it. They need to divide the total bill count each day by the number of drivers...We do work as a team...Right? What peddle drivers do or utility drivers do is allow these high density routes to do what they do. This place never ceases to amaze me.

write it all down on your bol.
Stops per hour? How would you calculate inside deliveries, shopping mall deliveries, military facilities deliveries, construction site deliveries, residential deliveries, long carries, elevators, flights of stairs, etc., etc., etc.? Get the picture? One city driver has mostly 2-3 skid stops at docks, he could show WAY more efficiency than another city driver with only a few of those I mention. The other day I had building materials for a shopping center on a military base that was hand-unload, inside delivery! Anyone of you wanna venture a guess how long that 1 stop with one 400 lb. skid took? See what I mean? Desk jockeys have NO CLUE what we go through in a day! It is only a numbers game to them. Turn the speed limit on the trucks down, turn the truck off at every stop, lock your doors, chock your wheels, enter time arrived on your D.R. AND your tablet, roll the skid to the rear of your trailer, take a photo of it with your tablet, (make sure you are using 3 points of contact while entering and exiting your trailer) cut the shrink wrap down, stack as many cartons as possible on your hand trucks, make many trips inside, over the curbs, in the rain, dodging cars, dodging shoppers inside, begging for SOMEBODY to PRINT and sign their name legibly, secure your hand trucks, and pallet jacks, remove wheel chocks, enter consignees name, (Hopefully everything delivered ok) , show enroute to next stop, and then WHalla!!! You are done! You just have to do that 20 times a day while keeping in mind which stop is gone to lunch, which one closes early, making pickups, "working around other freight" , and all the while you are keeping a smile on your face worrying just how long your company will remain in business!

runawaytrain;1169467.In my life I have learned many things. Most accomplishments in my life I keep to myself. Only my family knows the things I have done and a few close friends....[/QUOTE said:
i can build it, fix it, but mostly i like to destroy things (always wanted to be a building demolished he man like on TV)

fire in the hole, BOOM, let's go getta beer!!! see, i am fully qualified :LMAO:

i can build it, fix it, but mostly i like to destroy things (always wanted to be a building demolished he man like on TV)

fire in the hole, BOOM, let's go getta beer!!! see, i am fully qualified :LMAO:
I bet you are a jack of all trades....You can fix cars...do a little plumbing.. do a little electrical work..do a little welding...you probley can do a little construction.....I bet you can do a little dry wall....NW your not fooling me.

I bet you are a jack of all trades....You can fix cars...do a little plumbing.. do a little electrical work..do a little welding...you probley can do a little construction.....I bet you can do a little dry wall....NW your not fooling me.

very yep, sometimes yep, sometimes yep, and actually real good at that one, yep,,,,,,, leave drywall to pros, craftsman does not make an air or electric tool to do tucking right :ranting2:

our bills should have boxes for: residential, liftgate and inside delivery, like hm and freezable. then there's no question how this freight gets delivered when the certain box gets checked off.

but, let's not always blame the shipper for freight issues. to get the freight shipped correctly, that is up to the sales people and their supers who sign off on them contracts. discounts discounts discounts by sending a high class as FAK, haz mat fee is deleted ($6 per shipment adds up nationwide), inside delivery/liftgate deleted because the only way they could get their business was to severely undercut our competition in price because of our damages and days of services, and lets not forget them 3PL people who are collecting liftgate service from a pharmaceutical shipper and not paying us (the detention fee they got charged last time for hand unloading off my truck was almost double the liftgate fee, ha ha ha)

Stops per hour are a good way to measure the whole terminal, not an individual driver. If the terminal is making less than 2.5 and hour, something needs to be done logistically to correct it. If they are measuring each driver, now that is a dumb move!

I really dont see the problem with measureing each drivers proformance as long as you have the proper technology to do so. Every company does it. Drivers are totoally afraid of it. What is wrong with holding your drivers accountable for their actions and proformance? Companies know that you are handing a very large resposibilty over to a driver just TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND BE A ADULT! Get your crap done, documentation and communication! The company can not afford to hire a outside company to follow your butt around everyday for a week! Hell they dont have the money or manpower to evaluate the info they have currently at their disposal. What is so bad about expecting people to WORK while they are at WORK and on the CLOCK?

nothing in my mind, but we are afraid it will be done same as fed ex does it, miles does not matter, it is BPH. like i wrote before, you get local 30 stops in 4 hours, ya good to go, but get told to do the long route and do 4 bills in 3 hours so you get an "F" for the day,,,,,,,, something's wrong with that thinking.

The formula is: Total Bills (times) Hours spent (times) miles driven (divided by) total customer dock time (in minutes) = efficiency rating per minute.
Example: Both drivers move 20 bills today in 8 hours with 90 minutes of total customer dock time. However one drives 200 miles and the other drives 20 miles.

A) 20 bills(8hrs)(200 miles)/(90 minutes) = 355% efficiency rating

B) 20 bills(8hrs)(20 miles)/(90 minutes) = 35.6% efficiency rating

The greater time spent at a customer reduces efficiency and the greater the miles traveled offset time spent at the customer as also does the total number of bills. So picking up multiple bills per customer is an advantage against time spent. Putting the dock plate in yourself and loading the freight yourself increases efficiency while reducing the effect of the time-spent formula. Another key is to limit time spent out of the yard by making sure to properly record your yard exit and entrance time.

Making deliveries, there is no two days alike. Some routes you have to travel 100+ miles to your first stop and the second can be another ten miles. Other routes, are where it can be a construction site and you cannot locate anyone who will unload it or sign for it, or the freight is in fifty pieces because the shipper didn't bother to package it correctly so you (the driver) have to clean up the mess to sort it out and the customer refuses the delivery and then you have to explain to the TM why, and that takes additional time and the TM's cannot or WILL NOT understand when you tell him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Making deliveries, there is no two days alike. Some routes you have to travel 100+ miles to your first stop and the second can be another ten miles. Other routes, are where it can be a construction site and you cannot locate anyone who will unload it or sign for it, or the freight is in fifty pieces because the shipper didn't bother to package it correctly so you (the driver) have to clean up the mess to sort it out and the customer refuses the delivery and then you have to explain to the TM why, and that takes additional time and the TM's cannot or WILL NOT understand when you tell him.

>>> I'm giving you tools to help you beat the system and keep your job <<< If all you are going to do is come back with "why I can't" excuses then all I have to say is, good luck and hopefully you will be able to collect unemployment.

You know which deliveries are going to be clean. If you have the freight on the dock and everybody is playing "try and find me" then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to do about the signature. Then put their copy on the skid and make like a tree and leaf! Those deliveries will help you with the ones that have problems.

The deliveries on the dock is not what I am getting at. Besides, some deliveries are appointment and I usually have to ask which pieces to load and THEY say what goes first to deliver, some deliveries, that want it before 11am. Well, thanks for your vote of confidence.

The formula is: Total Bills (times) Hours spent (times) miles driven (divided by) total customer dock time (in minutes) = efficiency rating per minute.
Example: Both drivers move 20 bills today in 8 hours with 90 minutes of total customer dock time. However one drives 200 miles and the other drives 20 miles.

The greater time spent at a customer reduces efficiency and the greater the miles traveled offset time spent at the customer as also does the total number of bills. So picking up multiple bills per customer is an advantage against time spent. Putting the dock plate in yourself and loading the freight yourself increases efficiency while reducing the effect of the time-spent formula. Another key is to limit time spent out of the yard by making sure to properly record your yard exit and entrance time.
Excellent post

thank you for an explanation,,,,,,,,, more than anyone has given so far :1036316054:

what these ltl copanys dont get includeing fedex where chris came from is you need custumers . not a truck that comes in and out that cares less as long he is keeping his numbers good .its empty you never learn there needs and wants .i know this buissness changes but more it stayes the same .

i would have got an "F" for today, got 14 drops off in 125 minutes, then sat 90 minutes at final pick due to "national account, had to pick or else"

so, my "F" is due to a customer not having freight ready by 2pm like tablet said, not my doing, i was there at 220 to load,,,,,,,, so according to the numbers, i suck as a driver

anyone says anything bad to me about it Monday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, boom comes the snow bank:argue::crybaby::732: